Three Mobile short story - Please read if with, or considering a Three mobile phone contract...

Found 25th Jul 2013
Once upon a time, a woman decided that she would like a shiny new Samsung Galaxy Note 2 mobile phone.

She searched online to find the best deal, and after some consideration, she decided that Three's One contract seemed to offer the best value for money.

She proceeded to place an order online, but quickly after ordering, she realized that as she had recently moved home, that the phone would be delivered to her old address, so she immediately contacted Three, who informed her that she could cancel the contract, wait a day, and then re-order with her new address and details.

Phew that was lucky!

So that is what happened. She called her bank next day to change her bank account address details, and later that night she ordered another Samsung Galaxy Note 2 phone on Three's one contract.

The order went through no problem, and the next day she received her brand new phone.

Now, the woman had been through a traumatic, life threatening operation several months prior to receiving her new mobile phone, and her medication made her a little fuzzy, not as sharp as she used to be, a little forgetful, but as she was alive, she accepted that this was a small price to pay to be alive.

After several months, she was concerned that she was spending her wages quicker than usual. She checked her bank statements and seen that there was two charges per month coming off her wages for her Three mobile phone.
She called Three to query this, and was told that the first phone she had ordered never got cancelled, and they had been charging her every month.

After months of back and forth to Three, they have refused to take responsibility for their mistake. They are also still taking the monthly payments, even though they know that it was not the same person who signed for the phone, as they had already cancelled, oh, and had ALREADY MOVED ADDRESS!!!

After speaking to a lawyer and the Police, she is now having to go through the small claims court, to get back all the money that Three have stolen from her account.

Please, before you consider taking out a new mobile phone contract know this - Three don't care about you as a customer. They don't take responsibility for their mistakes, they don't care about anything you have to say to them, to help them with their customer service, they only care about your money and taking and getting as much as it from you as they can.

You have been forewarned.
Community Updates
26 Comments
Who forgets they've moved house?
I think another key part is "After several months" she checked her bank statements to notice two payments going out! It could have been sorted out far sooner quite easily.
Edited by: "cdm22" 25th Jul 2013
Three done this on my last contract I cancelled however I did check the following month so noticed straight away, of course they said contract hasn't been cancelled by me so they wouldn't refund wasn't worth the hassle to got through small claims.
Not a very sympathetic bunch on here. I would learn from this and check your balance daily.
I would suggest talking to your bank. Explain to them the situation (I do believe it is fraud) and they may be able to do something. You can certainly cancel the direct debit if you haven't already.
Please consider that lots of other people use three and have never had any problems
Banned
Please consider that if you don't cancel within the cooling off period, life threatening operation and meds and all, then you remain liable for your mistake. Not 3's.
Remove all the emotional aspect of your story and you screwed up!
Banned
And I'm one of the millions who have had no issue with 3 or their service and have been with them for years
Original Poster
FTR it was a dear friend of mine, I just wanted to tell their story.
Original Poster
exmouthred

Who forgets they've moved house?

They had recently moved, and had still to change their bank account to their new address, so the phone would have been delivered to the address associated with their bank account.

This is in fact what happened - but they did not live there anymore. The person who purchased their house, and moved in signed for, and kept and used the phone.
Original Poster
cdm22

I think another key part is "After several months" she checked her bank … I think another key part is "After several months" she checked her bank statements to notice two payments going out! It could have been sorted out far sooner quite easily.

It could have been, but the strong medication, and recuperation, did make keeping their finances in order not as high on their priories as living.
Original Poster
Mandz27

Three done this on my last contract I cancelled however I did check the … Three done this on my last contract I cancelled however I did check the following month so noticed straight away, of course they said contract hasn't been cancelled by me so they wouldn't refund wasn't worth the hassle to got through small claims.

Imagine the average contract is £20 and they have done this to thousands of customers. It is out and out fraud.
Original Poster
backtothecaves

Not a very sympathetic bunch on here. I would learn from this and check … Not a very sympathetic bunch on here. I would learn from this and check your balance daily.

They have. I am now helping them mange their money a bit better. Even after explaining their situation to Three they still refused to take responsibility.
Original Poster
NerdCore

I would suggest talking to your bank. Explain to them the situation (I do … I would suggest talking to your bank. Explain to them the situation (I do believe it is fraud) and they may be able to do something. You can certainly cancel the direct debit if you haven't already.

I agree, it is fraud. Yes, they are going to do so tomorrow. TY.
Original Poster
dimebars

Please consider that if you don't cancel within the cooling off period, … Please consider that if you don't cancel within the cooling off period, life threatening operation and meds and all, then you remain liable for your mistake. Not 3's.

Read again, it was cancelled on the SAME DAY. Is this within the cooling off period? And yes, they do do cancellations over the phone.
Original Poster
The Therapist

Remove all the emotional aspect of your story and you screwed up!

Explain this to me please?
Banned
Thought you said short story oO
Banned
It's not fraud and cancelling the DD will result in arrears and a ruined credit record.
They never cancelled one of my orders either, I cancelled a pre order but the iPhone arrived weeks later anyway. Natural thing to do was to keep the iPhone but a few weeks later they started charging so I sent it back

Great 3G speeds but really are reluctant to let you leave them.
Thats why you get confirmation in the post that its cancelled. I have never had a problem with 3 at all. Many friends i know also have had no problems. If you move home surely the first thing you do is change your bank details?
I notice that you haven't actually stated that she cancelled the 1st phone, just that she was told that she could. Case solved. HTH.

Oh and....

Cool story bro.
Original Poster
Shengis

I notice that you haven't actually stated that she cancelled the 1st … I notice that you haven't actually stated that she cancelled the 1st phone, just that she was told that she could. Case solved. HTH.Oh and....Cool story bro.

Shengis

I notice that you haven't actually stated that she cancelled the 1st … I notice that you haven't actually stated that she cancelled the 1st phone, just that she was told that she could. Case solved. HTH.Oh and....Cool story bro.

Thanks! Oh, and I thought it was obvious that when she phoned up to cancel that, she cancelled.

I think the whole point of the story is that Three are ham shankers. I will update this thread once the case is won.

(They denied cancelling the phone, but refunded the money for it. Let's see how that argument holds up...)

""So Mr Three. you said that you never received the call, and agreed to cancelling Miss Smith's contract, but several days later you put the exact same amount that you had taken for the phone back in to her account. Please explain?""
Banned

Meh.

That is all.
Three made a mistake. I'd suggest that your friend made several mistakes. If she was compos mentis enough to decide she needed a new phone, research the best deal online, give it due consideration and then buy it, she was probably compos mentis enough not to give Three the wrong address, to follow up the over-the phone cancellation by email or letter, to check her bank account immediately to make sure the cancellation had actually happened and to check it every month thereafter. If it goes to Small Claims, it's likely Three won't turn up so your friend will win by default and won't get the opportunity to test her claims in court. If they do turn up, then it will come down to who can produce evidence of the cancellation and, if none, where the balance of probablity lies.
Banned
^^^^^*

This. Happy to play the illness card when it suits the situation.

Please do not cancel the DD or all that will happen will be the thread you start titled "a short story about what 3 did when I cancelled a DD" will be spammed
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants