Three mobile vs 02

Found 27th Aug 2011
Is there a reason why 3 mobile is so cheap compared to 02?

I'm looking at the Sony Ericson Arc

On 3, I can get it for free, with 500 minutes, 5000 texts and 1gb internet for £22 a month

On 02, it's free with 600 minutes, 3000 texts and 500mb internet for £32 a month

So £240 cheaper over the 24 months.

I've always been with 02 but they can't get anywhere close to the other deal and my contract is up this month.

Is there a reason why it's so cheap? Is it not a good network?

Any input would be appreciated.
Community Updates
12 Comments
3 has been pretty good to me over the years ive used them for phone and mobile broadband.

Their network has better 3g coverage than any other network ive found so id sure recommend them
Yes there is a good reason. Although some people will have received good service, 3 is notorious for their history in poor customer support, and very flakey network, to say the least. They are improving, but they still have a reputation for being a network that will take pretty much anyone on in order to improve their customer base. The 3G coverage is strong, but if it drops, they have nowhere near the sort of 2G support that O2 have, leaving you with no signal whatsoever.

3 sell on price, O2 sell on service.

Obviously people will have different opinions, which is fair enough, but make sure you research coverage in your area before you commit.

Edited by: "Nickjjjjj" 27th Aug 2011
I've been with 3 for the past 8 years and had no problems with their network availability. My work mobile is on O2 and have had lots of problem with their reception in the area I live, hence why we are changing to Voda.

As Nickjjjjj it depends on your area, mine near Manchester is good on 3, however Nickjjjjj probably does not come from Manchester, being a United fan, so he ill have a different opinion

My experiences of both networks is the exact opposite. With 3, I've had problems, but never anything that hasn't been sorted out. With o2, I had issues with texting that were never resolved despite over a year of calls and supposed fixes (including two different handsets, three different SIMs). Three's cell network is excellent in Edinburgh and everywhere I've travelled in Scotland and England, and their data speeds are well into the megabit range. With O2, data was embarrassingly slow. I spent four years with 3, went to o2 because a broadband deal made them cheaper, stayed with them for two years, and returned to 3 at the soonest opportunity. O2 are terrible.

Nickjjjjj

Yes there is a good reason. Although some people will have received good … Yes there is a good reason. Although some people will have received good service, 3 is notorious for their history in poor customer support, and very flakey network, to say the least. They are improving, but they still have a reputation for being a network that will take pretty much anyone on in order to improve their customer base. The 3G coverage is strong, but if it drops, they have nowhere near the sort of 2G support that O2 have, leaving you with no signal whatsoever.3 sell on price, O2 sell on service. Obviously people will have different opinions, which is fair enough, but make sure you research coverage in your area before you commit.:)

Three is best ever network good coverage excellent prize compare to other network
As I say, many, if not most people will not have had any major problems. I work close to the industry (not in it) but have to do a lot of work with coverage maps and the like. 3's network does crumble under major strain, but of course is going to be fairly reliable the majority of time.

Prices tend to be cheaper because 3 are pretty much bankrolled by their parent company. I believe they turned a profit recently for the first time ever. That's based on something I read a while ago though, so could be wrong.

3 have always ranked either lowest or relatively low for customer satisfaction as well until a recent upturn.

This was from 2009, it probably won't copy and paste well:

Customer Satisfaction Index Scores
(Based on a 1,000-point scale)

Pre-Pay Segment

Mobile Provider Overall Satisfaction Score
--------------- --------------------------
O2 734
Tesco Mobile 710
Virgin Mobile 691
Industry Average 686
T-Mobile 674
Vodafone 669
Orange 665
3 663

Pay Monthly Segment

Mobile Provider Overall Satisfaction Score
--------------- --------------------------
Virgin Mobile 718
O2 698
Industry Average 675
Orange 673
T-Mobile 670
Vodafone 670
3 635
Three have excellent network coverage. This is helped by the fact that the network has a roaming agreement with Orange. This means that when you can't pick up 3's 3G signal you can automatically use your phone on Orange's 2G network.
I'd check out 3's coverage map, the wife cannot get a signal in a some of the outskirts of Birmingham (where you'd expect 100% coverage) looking at the coverage map there seems to be lots of isolated parts of Birmingham for instance where there is no signal. Compare this to the other major players and they are 100% coverage for Birmingham. May well be worth first checking out the places you are likely to making calls from.
Edited by: "greg_68" 28th Aug 2011
alimcintyre

Three have excellent network coverage. This is helped by the fact that … Three have excellent network coverage. This is helped by the fact that the network has a roaming agreement with Orange. This means that when you can't pick up 3's 3G signal you can automatically use your phone on Orange's 2G network.

Proof? I'd love to see if this is true please
I've been both a customer of o2 and Three over a five year period and had nothing but problems with o2 namely poor signal strength even in major towns and bizarrely slow delivery of texts. Once I transferred to Three using the exact same phone all these issues disappeared instantly. I'd also add the customer service with o2 was atrocious; I once spent 35 minutes listening to looped muzak then got though to someone who could barely speak English and a further 20 minutes being transferred to another department! Needless to say I won't be using them in future.
I live in birmingham when three first came out in my area where i live 3g coverage was excellent untill they upgraded there mass well atleast you would think so.but now for the last 5 years its been terrible signel keeps coming and going to weak
dxx

My experiences of both networks is the exact opposite. With 3, I've had … My experiences of both networks is the exact opposite. With 3, I've had problems, but never anything that hasn't been sorted out. With o2, I had issues with texting that were never resolved despite over a year of calls and supposed fixes (including two different handsets, three different SIMs). Three's cell network is excellent in Edinburgh and everywhere I've travelled in Scotland and England, and their data speeds are well into the megabit range. With O2, data was embarrassingly slow. I spent four years with 3, went to o2 because a broadband deal made them cheaper, stayed with them for two years, and returned to 3 at the soonest opportunity. O2 are terrible.

Ah, that moment when you see a post you disagree with, and just before you hit reply, you realise that it's just an old thread that's been bumped, and that yourself of three years ago already wrote reply that more than adequately sums up what you were about to say.

I wonder if the same will happen in another three years. If it does, this post already covers all bases.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants