THREE ROAMING AND TETHERING UPDATE - No caps tethering and HD video streaming when roaming in the EU amongst other updates in description. (Most from December update)

Found 7th Aug
Following Ofcom UK's probe on Three and Vodafone, Ofcom have announced that all Three upgrading and new customers now recieve:

"Since we opened our investigation in March 2018, Three has confirmed that it has already:

* withdrawn restrictions which slowed down speeds of Peer-to-Peer and Virtual Private Network traffic for customers when roaming within the EU; and
* withdrawn restrictions on the use of handset SIMs in dongles and mifis.

Three has also confirmed that, from December 2018 (or earlier), it will:

* cease to restrict video quality to Standard Definition when its customers are roaming in the EU;
* remove any specific tethering or hotspot allowance for new or upgrading customers, to allow for unrestricted tethering (within the UK or EU);
* remove any requirements for customers to purchase a Data Passport to tether when roaming in the EU;
* allow customers on all Advanced Plans to tether without restriction; and
* allow customers on Essential Plans to tether on their current plan, or to migrate to the nearest equivalent Advanced Plan available at that time."

This means that we lose our 30GB tethering limit and our VPN usage in the EU and we can now put our mobile SIMs in personal hotspots/MiFi dongles.
We also lose the ridiculous SD Video streaming limit in the EU. Thanks Ofcom!

More details in the ISPreview article HERE
Community Updates
Misc
20 Comments
Yeah, I heard about this - very good for Three SIMO customers!
Finally!! But I’ve already moved to EE. In my past experience Three’s data speeds while travelling in other EU countries were always appaling: 3G instead of 4G, long times to open even light webpages... to the point that I once gave up and bought a local data plan. On EE the speeds are much faster and I can actually use Google Maps, Spotify, even stream video without much trouble. Happy to hear that roaming experience will now improve for customers on Three. Thanks Ofcom for helping to enforce EU rules
melomanias14 m ago

Finally!! But I’ve already moved to EE. In my past experience Three’s data …Finally!! But I’ve already moved to EE. In my past experience Three’s data speeds while travelling in other EU countries were always appaling: 3G instead of 4G, long times to open even light webpages... to the point that I once gave up and bought a local data plan. On EE the speeds are much faster and I can actually use Google Maps, Spotify, even stream video without much trouble. Happy to hear that roaming experience will now improve for customers on Three. Thanks Ofcom for helping to enforce EU rules

Yep, roaming on Three is terrible in terms of data speeds! Can't even load a webpage.
melomanias3 h, 28 m ago

Finally!! But I’ve already moved to EE. In my past experience Three’s data …Finally!! But I’ve already moved to EE. In my past experience Three’s data speeds while travelling in other EU countries were always appaling: 3G instead of 4G, long times to open even light webpages... to the point that I once gave up and bought a local data plan. On EE the speeds are much faster and I can actually use Google Maps, Spotify, even stream video without much trouble. Happy to hear that roaming experience will now improve for customers on Three. Thanks Ofcom for helping to enforce EU rules

jamie0153 h, 14 m ago

Yep, roaming on Three is terrible in terms of data speeds! Can't even load …Yep, roaming on Three is terrible in terms of data speeds! Can't even load a webpage.

That is not three though is it, its the network your connected to, you need to select a different network for roaming, I was in France last month and it was perfectly fine better than an WiFi hotspot over there.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 7th Aug
MrSprkle2 m ago

Thats not three though is it, its the network your connected too, you need …Thats not three though is it, its the network your connected too, you need to select a different network for roaming, I was in France last month and it was perfectly fine better than an WiFi hotspot over there.

I went to Italy and it used Three Italy, it was terrible.
MrSprkle6 h, 33 m ago

That is not three though is it, its the network your connected to, you …That is not three though is it, its the network your connected to, you need to select a different network for roaming, I was in France last month and it was perfectly fine better than an WiFi hotspot over there.

Totally not the case. I'm roaming onto Yoigo and Movistar in South East Spain, data speeds are appalling. My mother in law who lives out here and is on movistar gets data speeds 10x what I'm getting. Three massively throttle EU data.
Paddy_o_furniture8th Aug

Totally not the case. I'm roaming onto Yoigo and Movistar in South East …Totally not the case. I'm roaming onto Yoigo and Movistar in South East Spain, data speeds are appalling. My mother in law who lives out here and is on movistar gets data speeds 10x what I'm getting. Three massively throttle EU data.

OK fair enough I can only go on my experience in France and I was on Orange with no issues and speed wasn't blazing fast, but was better than the Hot spots I found. I stand corrected then based on yours and others experience.
MrSprkle21 h, 51 m ago

That is not three though is it, its the network your connected to, you …That is not three though is it, its the network your connected to, you need to select a different network for roaming, I was in France last month and it was perfectly fine better than an WiFi hotspot over there.

Of course it was Three capping roaming data to 3G and throttling speeds. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bought a local data plan and got perfectly fast 4G speeds. Anyway, this was over a year ago because I’ve moved to EE since.

Do you really think Ofcom would have intervened if they weren’t capping the roaming data??
This means I can use my phone sim in a Mifi device?
I'm really curious to see how this pans out considering I have a really cheap unlimited data deal with a small tethering limit. I'm somewhat worried it will just be a one plan style shafting again.
Mrdom16th Aug

I'm really curious to see how this pans out considering I have a really …I'm really curious to see how this pans out considering I have a really cheap unlimited data deal with a small tethering limit. I'm somewhat worried it will just be a one plan style shafting again.

I agree it'll be interesting how this goes. I've got the unlimited data "AYCE" plan with 30Gb of tether. If the tether restriction is lifted then happy days. I wouldn't even need true unlimited in that sense, just a mix of go binge and 60 odd Gb for tether would be plenty for me.
smackos29th Aug

I agree it'll be interesting how this goes. I've got the unlimited data …I agree it'll be interesting how this goes. I've got the unlimited data "AYCE" plan with 30Gb of tether. If the tether restriction is lifted then happy days. I wouldn't even need true unlimited in that sense, just a mix of go binge and 60 odd Gb for tether would be plenty for me.

You will have to upgrade your plan to take advantage of the unlimited tethering once it is released, in December 2018 (or earlier), so it might be more expensive.
Onais_Khan33 m ago

You will have to upgrade your plan to take advantage of the unlimited …You will have to upgrade your plan to take advantage of the unlimited tethering once it is released, in December 2018 (or earlier), so it might be more expensive.

I was reading this as for All current customers too, rather than those that had to upgrade etc..??

"* allow customers on ALL Advanced Plans to tether without restriction;"

Given that by charging customers separately for unrestricted tethering that would be in contradiction of the Offcom investigation to start with?? The whole point of it was that people are paying for data plans, and not being able to use that data however they wanted. If they only allow new customer plans or a paid upgrade option, then by extention they are still restricting the rest of their customer base.
Edited by: "smackos" 30th Aug
smackos30th Aug

I was reading this as for All current customers too, rather than those …I was reading this as for All current customers too, rather than those that had to upgrade etc..??"* allow customers on ALL Advanced Plans to tether without restriction;"Given that by charging customers separately for unrestricted tethering that would be in contradiction of the Offcom investigation to start with?? The whole point of it was that people are paying for data plans, and not being able to use that data however they wanted. If they only allow new customer plans or a paid upgrade option, then by extention they are still restricting the rest of their customer base.

The way I understand it, is Three will " * remove any specific tethering or hotspot allowance for new or upgrading customers, to allow for unrestricted tethering (within the UK or EU);" so, they have unlimited tethering upto their allowance, but "allow customers on all Advanced Plans to tether without restriction;" means (I think) that you are allowed to go over your tethering allowance and not be stopped but you could incur charges, unless you upgrade to a plan with unlimited tethering, when it is available. This is a guess, not confirmed, it is just how I think it will be, along with my previous comment. They are not charging seperately for tethering, I just think that people may abuse their all you can eat data, so prices may jump once unlimited tethering is available.

To conclude, what I think will happen is:

- Current Advanced Plan customers can tether over their limit but for a charge, just like someone going over their data allowance;

- New and upgrading customers from December 2018 will have no tethering limit;

- As a result to this the cost of a SIM Only all-you-can-eat data may increase, or go completely because they may not have the capacity for unlimited data and tethering (I may be wrong)

- Existing customers have to upgrade to take advantage of the extras.

All of this may be wrong, but it is what I think.
I'm currently on an Advanced AYCE data plan with a 12GB hotspot cap @ £17pm . I contacted Three earlier today and was told the Ofcom changes will no apply to older contracts. Hence, to be able to use the data I pay for how I see fit I will need to upgrade to a new contact that will be cost more.

As anyone else be told this ?
Update -

Since my initial call to Three posted above, I have been informed that my 12GB tethering CAP will be lifted when my next billing cycle starts. Enquiring why I was given very different info i.e. need a new contact, apparently this was due to confusion at Three. LOL
joeluken3 h, 32 m ago

I'm currently on an Advanced AYCE data plan with a 12GB hotspot cap @ …I'm currently on an Advanced AYCE data plan with a 12GB hotspot cap @ £17pm . I contacted Three earlier today and was told the Ofcom changes will no apply to older contracts. Hence, to be able to use the data I pay for how I see fit I will need to upgrade to a new contact that will be cost more.As anyone else be told this ?

Not true they are talking out of their bums. Just tether, you will see it doesn't count towards your 12gb allowance, it will update with your next billing cycle.
Onais_Khan1st Sep

The way I understand it, is Three will " * remove any specific tethering …The way I understand it, is Three will " * remove any specific tethering or hotspot allowance for new or upgrading customers, to allow for unrestricted tethering (within the UK or EU);" so, they have unlimited tethering upto their allowance, but "allow customers on all Advanced Plans to tether without restriction;" means (I think) that you are allowed to go over your tethering allowance and not be stopped but you could incur charges, unless you upgrade to a plan with unlimited tethering, when it is available. This is a guess, not confirmed, it is just how I think it will be, along with my previous comment. They are not charging seperately for tethering, I just think that people may abuse their all you can eat data, so prices may jump once unlimited tethering is available.To conclude, what I think will happen is:- Current Advanced Plan customers can tether over their limit but for a charge, just like someone going over their data allowance;- New and upgrading customers from December 2018 will have no tethering limit;- As a result to this the cost of a SIM Only all-you-can-eat data may increase, or go completely because they may not have the capacity for unlimited data and tethering (I may be wrong)- Existing customers have to upgrade to take advantage of the extras.All of this may be wrong, but it is what I think.

Yep you were wrong.
Crashcox111th Oct

Yep you were wrong.

Really wrong.
I've just signed up for the SIM only unlimited data, calls and texts plan and it appears that there is a cap on tethering speeds to 4Mbps. it varies on my phone and goes up to 35Mbps but consistently hovers just under 4Mbps on my tablet when tethered. Anyone else getting this?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants