Found 1st Jun 2008
My dad recently upgraded his contract and got a Nokia 6500 slide. He wanted to get it unlocked because he is going abroad in 2 weeks. I rang Three for him to ask about it and couldnt believe what they said!!!

They said that I will have to pay the full line rental for the remaining 18 months + £15 admin cost!!! After talking to the person for 5 minutes he said that because my dad has been a loyal customer for years, they will do it for 12 months line rental + £15?!?!

This cant be right can it? I recently heard that the UK law suggests that phones should be unlocked for free, hence Vodafone are doing it.

Any advice ( apart from getting it unlocked from a shop ) or has anyone had similar shocking experiences?.

Many thanks.

10 Comments

Banned

Is he wanting it unlocked so he can use a diferent sim card?
If so, do you blame them?

Original Poster

Pluun;2223588

Is he wanting it unlocked so he can use a diferent sim card?If so, do you … Is he wanting it unlocked so he can use a diferent sim card?If so, do you blame them?

Yes so he can use his phone with a different sim from the country he is visiting for 3 months!. All other networks do it either free or for a resonable charge unlike 3 asking for the whole terms line rental plus £15.

Pluun;2223588

Is he wanting it unlocked so he can use a diferent sim card?If so, do you … Is he wanting it unlocked so he can use a diferent sim card?If so, do you blame them?

Yes he's wanting to use another sim in it (presumably a local one whilst abroad). Their charges are harsh though, id take it to a local market if I was you, last I heard ours charged £8.

I also think dejans software will work on this model now, forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho…120 double check first though!

if going in asia they charge 3 pounds or something to unlock a phone in pakistan

What country is it :thinking: 3 is not so bad for roaming and you can even use your minuites in certain places if theres a 3 signal :whistling:

Yep thats what they said to me!

A bunch of bloody morons, but like other said should cost you about £15 to get it unlocked from a shop.

Unfortunatley the i-smartsim doesn't really work!

Original Poster

Thank you all for your help and suggestions - I managed to get it unlocked for £10 through a highstreet shop.

BTW I am staying away from 3 from now onwards!.

dcx_badass;2251148

Mine works in my Nokia 6680. Have you actually tried one?

Yes, I bought 3, they seem to very very reliable (no random restarts, extra power drain etc.)

However they are picky and choosy what phone/simcard combination they will unlock.

For example my CONTRACT t-mobile simcard will work in my N80 but not in my N95 8GB. However my PAYG t-mobile simcard works in both fine........

harlzter;2223749

failing that this item appears to work on the phone … failing that this item appears to work on the phone http://www.hotukdeals.com/item/175339/i-smartsim-2008-sim-card-unlock-att/

this doesnt work on the 6500 slide on 3

been there .. looking for some back street shop
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604796
    2. word association Game74244889
    3. Lower car insurance54
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322848

See more discussions