three upgrades/cancellation

Posted 6th Feb
anyone had experience of cancelling or early upgrading with 3? I moved to a simo contract with 3 in Dec 2019 after my 24 month contract ended. I was happy to keep the device so opted for simo.
I'm obviously now only a couple of months into this 12m simo contract & said device has broken. Wouldnt mind upgrading to a new device but 3 want to charge an early upgrade fee. Given me upgrading would be better for them, i'd be paying almost triple what i currently am, you'd think they'd want to get that custom. But they state they have to charge a early upgrade fee. I've heard some people have had these waived in the past by other phone companies, would be interested to hear of anyone's experience with three?
Worth noting the guy did say to me that after 3 months in this contract they could waive the fee but i see nothing to state that in the t&c's at all which simply state that upgrading anytime before the last 30 days of your minimum term will incur an early upgrade fee.
i want to threaten to just cancel the 12m simo completely in hope they'd be desperate to keep my custom & waive the early upgrade fee & put me on a new plan (which as i've said benefits them as i'll be paying almost 3 times as much). But i dont think they'd budge.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Observation: cancelling the 12m SIMO that started in Dec 2019 would instantly leave you liable to early termination fee of full remaining contract balance, less VAT, which 3 will likely view as a great income opportunity rather than a detrimental threat.
Raise a complaint that you feel as a loyal customer they should be doing more to keep your custom.. but in all honest since middle of last year 3 customer service has dropped dramatically
Depending how much the early upgrade fee is, consider combined option of:
sort the upgrade by phone or web (not in store)
when the upgrade is confirmed as active (that status is critical as it confirms the SIMO is dead), exercise your off-premises-sale right to terminate the upgrade arrangement at no penalty within 14 days.
Initiate a new contract online which would provide a cashback opportunity, likely £50+, and probably on better terms than via upgrade or otherwise direct from 3.
Return the upgrade handset coincident with optionally porting old number to new contract via intermediary.
Use the subsequent cashback from new contract as delayed payment of the early upgrade fee, possibly with some surplus.
Enjoy having shown single finger to 3.
AndyRoyd06/02/2020 15:51

Observation: cancelling the 12m SIMO that started in Dec 2019 would …Observation: cancelling the 12m SIMO that started in Dec 2019 would instantly leave you liable to early termination fee of full remaining contract balance, less VAT, which 3 will likely view as a great income opportunity rather than a detrimental threat.

True but they'd get sub £100 for that or could keep me buy offering to upgrade me without early upgrade fee & get £700 over the next 24 months ...
little_green06/02/2020 16:22

True but they'd get sub £100 for that or could keep me buy offering to …True but they'd get sub £100 for that or could keep me buy offering to upgrade me without early upgrade fee & get £700 over the next 24 months ...

Presumably you are comfortable with spending the £700 with 3 anyway, so no real incentive for 3 to kiss goodbye to the remaining obligation on the SIMO, and if you decide to initiate kissing goodbye to SIMO, 3 receives 9+ monthly payments upfront with no requirement to provide service = win-win either way for 3.
Problem is you chose to go the SIMO route. You signed a contract for data only, no hardware. Your phone broke. You want to upgrade to include hardware. This will mean a new contract, not an upgrade. You could try the convoluted way of doing it, as has been suggested, but is it worth it? How much are you committed to? Can you downgrade your monthly payment for 1 month and then cancel the contract reducing your settlement fee?
AndyRoyd06/02/2020 16:27

Presumably you are comfortable with spending the £700 with 3 anyway, so no …Presumably you are comfortable with spending the £700 with 3 anyway, so no real incentive for 3 to kiss goodbye to the remaining obligation on the SIMO, and if you decide to initiate kissing goodbye to SIMO, 3 receives 9+ monthly payments upfront with no requirement to provide service = win-win either way for 3.

Well no, if they can't value loyal custom I'd take it elsewhere. So no I wouldn't be handing them the £700 anyway.
Just be careful on the course of action you choose. Any deviation from the contract and it could, if Three want to be litigious, seriously affect your credit rating, which apart from anything else could prevent you from getting a contract with another phone company.
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 6th Feb
You agreed to a 12 month contract and agreed to the t&c. If you only had 3 months left then they May of been able to waiver the contract but you’ve just committed. Unfortunately the only options you have is A)Buy handset outright B)take out second contract and run them both C) complete early upgrade and pay of D) leave and still pay
what phone is it, can you repair it
little_green06/02/2020 17:02

Well no, if they can't value loyal custom I'd take it elsewhere. So no I …Well no, if they can't value loyal custom I'd take it elsewhere. So no I wouldn't be handing them the £700 anyway.

If you take a contract elsewhere 3 still enjoys the financial return on your SIMO obligation. 3 simply cannot lose, so just go the route of the least overall cost option, which is likely early chargeable upgrade + seni-immediate cancellation, assuming your credit rating will tolerate another provider's credit check.
AndyRoyd06/02/2020 19:14

If you take a contract elsewhere 3 still enjoys the financial return on …If you take a contract elsewhere 3 still enjoys the financial return on your SIMO obligation. 3 simply cannot lose, so just go the route of the least overall cost option, which is likely early chargeable upgrade + seni-immediate cancellation, assuming your credit rating will tolerate another provider's credit check.

I get your point but from a business perspective they are loosing. Sure they may get £100 now but that's £600 less than they would get in the next 24 months if they just upgraded me.
Do three have the option to let you upgrade to a 30 day sim only? With some networks that can be a way of getting out of the early upgrade fee.
Kurando07/02/2020 05:32

Do three have the option to let you upgrade to a 30 day sim only? With …Do three have the option to let you upgrade to a 30 day sim only? With some networks that can be a way of getting out of the early upgrade fee.

Assuming the same early upgrade fee would still apply
Why not just buy the phone outright?

Paying for the phone and then getting a SIM only is almost always cheaper than a bundled contracts and phone anyway.
little_green06/02/2020 21:27

I get your point but from a business perspective they are loosing. Sure …I get your point but from a business perspective they are loosing. Sure they may get £100 now but that's £600 less than they would get in the next 24 months if they just upgraded me.

The £100 is effectively costing 3 nothing (except possibly loss of any excess allowance income). The £700 will cost hardware, service and support.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants