Three vs GiffGaff vs TPO - when is 4g unlimited data sim only coming?

Banned 20
Found 13th Jan 2014
Any word on when to expect 4g unlimited on GiffGaff as I would like to make a choice by 31/3/14. Also do you agree with the below:

1) 4g is definetly coming to GG
giffgaff.com/4g
2) it IS likely to be unlimited 4g. Keep an eye here
community.giffgaff.com/t5/…093
3)Historically, GG have always been cheaper than Three, expect the same for the unlimited 4g product. Eg if Three go in at £15 pm, you can expect GG to be a bit cheaper.
4) Unlimited 4g for £15 is also coming to TPO. EE's rival to Giffgaff, the People's Operator
thepeoplesoperator.com/pay…hly
5) 4g unlimited data, not the trial version, is expected to be deployed by Three by 31.3.14

20 Comments

Banned

This is everything you need to know.
community.giffgaff.com/t5/…659
giffgaff.com/4g

At the moment there is no official launch date other than end of March 2014, Giff Gaff have most recently stated "First half of 2014" as well so there is no real official date at all. There is also no official word on pricing structure or whether the unlimited data aspect will be kept on 4G. Giff Gaff has said it will consult with it's customers before launching 4G to come up with definitive propositions.

It is also worth nothing that Giff Gaff may have a more expensive 4G product than Three if they choose to go the same way Tesco Mobile did with their 4G proposition.

Giff Gaff will use the O2 4G network which currently has coverage in over 10 cities across the UK. O2 quote an average speed of 6Mbps for their 4G service. Real world speeds will vary.

Edited by: "AhmadCentral" 13th Jan 2014

6mbps on their 4g?

AhmadCentral

This is everything you need to know. … This is everything you need to know. http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/4G-Update/ba-p/10357659http://giffgaff.com/4gAt the moment there is no official launch date other than end of March 2014, Giff Gaff have most recently stated "First half of 2014" as well so there is no real official date at all. There is also no official word on pricing structure or whether the unlimited data aspect will be kept on 4G. Giff Gaff has said it will consult with it's customers before launching 4G to come up with definitive propositions. It is also worth nothing that Giff Gaff may have a more expensive 4G product than Three if they choose to go the same way Tesco Mobile did with their 4G proposition. Giff Gaff will use the O2 4G network which currently has coverage in over 10 cities across the UK. O2 quote an average speed of 6Mbps for their 4G service. Real world speeds will vary.

Original Poster Banned

AhmadCentral

This is everything you need to know. … This is everything you need to know. http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Blog/4G-Update/ba-p/10357659http://giffgaff.com/4gAt the moment there is no official launch date other than end of March 2014, Giff Gaff have most recently stated "First half of 2014" as well so there is no real official date at all. There is also no official word on pricing structure or whether the unlimited data aspect will be kept on 4G. Giff Gaff has said it will consult with it's customers before launching 4G to come up with definitive propositions. It is also worth nothing that Giff Gaff may have a more expensive 4G product than Three if they choose to go the same way Tesco Mobile did with their 4G proposition. Giff Gaff will use the O2 4G network which currently has coverage in over 10 cities across the UK. O2 quote an average speed of 6Mbps for their 4G service. Real world speeds will vary.

Thanks for that. I would be very surprised if GiffGaff sold their unlimited 4g at a higher price point than Three. Historically, they have always been cheaper by having lower overheads. I predict their 4g offering to less than the nearest O2's 4g deal and lower than Three's.

Banned

gmdlogan

6mbps on their 4g?

You and I both know that 4G speeds will be much faster. But O2 have stated that their 4G speeds will be on average around 6Mbps. Three and EE state 14Mbps, EE also state an average of 24Mbps-30Mbps for their double speed product.

When in a good signal area you should easily be able to achieve over 25Mbps all the time. The networks just use these averages to cover their backs and as way to not over promise speeds.

Ah. Makes sense. Can't wait till 3 roll along in to my town. :-)

Happy days indeed.

Original Poster Banned

AhmadCentral: "When in a good signal area you should easily be able to achieve over 25Mbps all the time"

mobile networking nirvana! Cant wait for that!

do you run a phone shop Ahmad?

Does anyone think things will change quite a bit if Three follow through with the news/rumours and buy out O2?

Also I set my son up on GG and found it to be so slow for data to the point of unusable, all because of their traffic shaping policy and limiting video streaming. Never had any such issue on Three PAYG though.

I've been with 3 for years (on the contract OnePlan) and regularly get 10-15mbps speeds on their standard network now so don't think i'll notice much difference with the 4g. Plus being able to tether included is such a bonus.

Original Poster Banned

masmit agreed with the tethering - awesome!

However, ive had the most horrendous customer experience with Three to date. Still with them though, on the promise of 4g by 31.3.14 unless GG offer something useful by then
Edited by: "smiler594" 13th Jan 2014

gmdlogan

Ah. Makes sense. Can't wait till 3 roll along in to my town. :-)Happy … Ah. Makes sense. Can't wait till 3 roll along in to my town. :-)Happy days indeed.

Yeah then try phoning customer services and then you will be glad when 3 roll out of town!

Banned

smiler594

AhmadCentral: "When in a good signal area you should easily be able to … AhmadCentral: "When in a good signal area you should easily be able to achieve over 25Mbps all the time"mobile networking nirvana! Cant wait for that!do you run a phone shop Ahmad?

Like I said, speeds will vary but if in a good area of 4G coverage than a constant over 20mbps is very achievable.

And no, I don't run a shop. I do work in the industry though.

Banned

4g has came to three

Original Poster Banned

mandbz

4g has came to three

Proof?

Banned

smiler594

Proof?

bit rude?! look your self, he was just trying to help you out!

I too can confirm 4g is available on three, in fact I think their 4g coverage is the best out of any other mobile phone providings

Banned

hukdealz

bit rude?! look your self, he was just trying to help you out!I too can … bit rude?! look your self, he was just trying to help you out!I too can confirm 4g is available on three, in fact I think their 4g coverage is the best out of any other mobile phone providings

proof?

I don't care much about the speed advantage, I just care about coverage. I read somewhere that 3's 4G signal penetrated further indoors than their 3G because of the wavelength it used?

Banned

I cannot see any network offering unlimited data on 4g

Banned

cannot see any network offer unlimited data on 4g

Original Poster Banned

mandbz

4g has came to three

wasn't meant to be rude. Just asking for verification so that the wider population can also access 4g and not just the lucky few in the trial. Echo what sonyman said. If this is NOT available to the wider public just yet, all its going to do is disappoint the many who expected 4g from Three as promised last December, but were subsequently let down.
Edited by: "smiler594" 19th Jan 2014

Banned

sonyman17

I cannot see any network offering unlimited data on 4g

Well Three currently offer unlimited data on 4G and that has no plans to change.

Rubisco

I don't care much about the speed advantage, I just care about coverage. … I don't care much about the speed advantage, I just care about coverage. I read somewhere that 3's 4G signal penetrated further indoors than their 3G because of the wavelength it used?

That's correct. However, 4G is only being used for data at the moment. And it's not everywhere just yet.
So it'll take a while (if you're outside a city) to start seeing the effects of 4G indoor and seeing phone calls over 4G)
Edited by: "AhmadCentral" 18th Jan 2014

Original Poster Banned

I'm in London, is Three's 4g London wide yet? I'm not seeing it on my 5s. Did you guys who say you can get 4g now do anything on your phone to switch to it? Or are you just the lucky ones who are part of the trial?
Edited by: "smiler594" 19th Jan 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text