Groups

ThunderBird Email Help Anyone?

Hi All,

Does anyone here use Thunderbird as I need a bit of help with it. I have just moved over from Outlook, so any skilled users out there?

Thanks and Rep added to people who can help

7 Comments

What do you need help with?

Original Poster

rwm24;6301966

What do you need help with?

a few of things, I have set 3 accounts up, 1 with hotmail (POP3)and 2 with gmail (IMAP) and now my gmail has new folders called {IMAP}/Draft - Sent - trash etc, cant i just get it to link to the folders that are already there?

2) Hotmail seems to delete my msg from the server but they are on the Thunderbird client but in the deleted folder online (I dont use the store for offline thing)

3) Return receipt came into gmail at 6:07pm on the server but in thunderbird it is dated as 9:08am (All the other messages seem to have the correct time, but I dont want this becoming an issue.

There are other things but they are the main ones, sorry to go on but thanks Just off for dinner, be back soon

You can uncheck the folders you don't want displayed by gmail by editing the labels in the webmail interface.
    That said if you want to use it like hotmail then you want to use gmail's pop interface not IMAP.

For hotmail you need the check your pop settings to keep messages on the server.
    (Not sure on the details on that as I don't use pop for hotmail).

The difference between time on return receipt could be a difference between server and your time.

Original Poster

unknownuser;6302896

You can uncheck the folders you don't want displayed by gmail by editing … You can uncheck the folders you don't want displayed by gmail by editing the labels in the webmail interface.That said if you want to use it like hotmail then you want to use gmail's pop interface not IMAP.For hotmail you need the check your pop settings to keep messages on the server.(Not sure on the details on that as I don't use pop for hotmail).The difference between time on return receipt could be a difference between server and your time.

I want the folders displayed, but I want the real ones not the new ones thunderbird has created, so I have 2 sent folders for example one with IMAP at the start, on gmail it has 1 with IMAP and the normal one without, on thunderbird I only have the one with IMAP.

What do you use for hotmail IMAP??? I might try that.

The time thing is not the server and my PC as there might be a bit of a difference with the time between my PC and server but not 9 hours, It only seems to be the Receipts also, I dont mind a couple of minutes either way but not that much and worried it might get lost

Original Poster

bump anyone

Original Poster

Last bump

You can edit the folders in thunderbird to ignore the local folders.
    I can't remember exactly how I did it but have a look at 'Tools' - 'Account Settings'

From there under 'Copies & Folders' all my tick boxes are unchecked (Place a copy in / Bcc ... /Show confirmation dial....)

For message drafts: other is chosen and i'm using the drafts folder in gmail.
    I've also disabled thunderbirds junk email controls letting gmail filter them instead.

To be honest I'm pretty much using the recommended gmail settings as far as I can remember.

The only quirk is that you do have to have the [Google Mail] folder.

For hotmail I use Outlook Connector. If you don't have outlook then consider 'Windows Mail'

Can't help you with the time thing probably best to ask in google support.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. WONGA REFUNDS DUE187926
      2. Free- Gluten Free Rice Porridge (M&S)820
      3. So, whose already pre-ordered a Scorpio and where from?1628
      4. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.89

See more discussions