thursday 24 tube strike

Found 3rd Oct 2017
Community Updates
For clarity...

A strike by Tube drivers is planned on Thursday 5 October 2017.

If it goes ahead, there will be no service on most of the Tube network all day Thursday.

In addition, some Tube services may finish earlier (from 11:30pm) on Wednesday 4 October 2017 & start later on Friday 6 October 2017.
Update - Looks like the strike has been called off as 'Progress' is being made, which is great news!
Source - BBC News - Here
Misc
21 Comments
highly paid drones for the rich union bosses under the auspices of safety, what a bunch of liars.
archer12041 h, 14 m ago

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/tube-strike-all-you-need-to-know-about-thursday-s-london-underground-walkout-a3649006.html

...or even...

[ tfl.gov.uk/cam…779]
What are they moaning about this time? The colour of their uniforms, or have they already done that one?
Destard4 m ago

What are they moaning about this time? The colour of their uniforms, or …What are they moaning about this time? The colour of their uniforms, or have they already done that one?

What’s the reason for the strike?

The dispute centres on a pay deal agreed between transport bosses and drivers in 2015.

Aslef, which represents the majority of Tube drivers, claims transport bosses have failed on a commitment to give its members the opportunity to work a four-day week and reduce the number of weekend shifts.

But London Underground (LU) rejects these claims and says a recent trial of the revised shift pattern has only just finished on the Jubilee line, with the results are yet to be analysed.

Tube strike: Passengers queue for replacement bus services (Jeremy Selwyn) Aslef organiser Finn Brennan said: “As part of the settlement of the dispute over the introduction of Night Tube, LU agreed to introduce a mechanism to allow drivers to reduce the number of shifts they work, on a pro-rata basis, and ‘new ways of working’ to reduce the percentage of weekend shifts worked by July this year.

“They have repeatedly refused to make any detailed proposals to do so. Deadlines have repeatedly been missed and promises broken while our detailed proposals to resolve these issues have been ignored.”

But Nigel Holness, LU's director of network operations, responded saying: "We are committed to ensuring that our employees are able to maintain a good balance between their work and personal lives, and we have been working closely with the unions to explore new ways to achieve this.

"I encourage Aslef to continue working with us constructively rather than moving towards unnecessary strike action."

He added: "The trial [on the Jubilee line] only finished recently and the results will be collected and analysed alongside both Aslef and the RMT union, as was agreed with both trade unions.”
Its time to start a specific charity to help these unsung heroes of the underground...

because they claim... transport bosses have failed on a commitment to give its members the opportunity to work a four-day week and reduce the number of weekend shifts.

32161525-r6G7p.jpg
I'm willing to bet they could fill those driver roles for half the money, and it wouldn't be that hard to train up new drivers.
Those workers don't know how good they've got it already.
glassdoor.co.uk/Sal…htm

I knew i should have foregone university and just become an underground train driver.

i dont see what the issue is. "sure you can work a 4 day week, but you'll only get paid for a 4 day week"...thats how it works at the company i work for.
Strikes been suspended
Destard4 h, 42 m ago

I'm willing to bet they could fill those driver roles for half the money, …I'm willing to bet they could fill those driver roles for half the money, and it wouldn't be that hard to train up new drivers.Those workers don't know how good they've got it already.

Retired police officers or members of the armed forces presently within the UK could take over the jobs, & we would get increased security on the London Underground as a bonus.

In fact, if we pay our armed forces personnel the same rate of pay as the tube drivers, for doing the same job, their salaries will increase!
A- the strike has been cancelled, and
B- looks like the usual comments from people moaning about something they know nothing about because their gullible enough to believe junk in the evening standard
Destard5 h, 54 m ago

I'm willing to bet they could fill those driver roles for half the money, …I'm willing to bet they could fill those driver roles for half the money, and it wouldn't be that hard to train up new drivers.Those workers don't know how good they've got it already.

Even if they did it wouldnt prevent strikes. Night tube was staffed with new recruits sourced from outside of LU, when these new recruits were balloted to strike earlier this year there was a 100% vote in support of a strike.
benbb53 m ago

Even if they did it wouldnt prevent strikes. Night tube was staffed with …Even if they did it wouldnt prevent strikes. Night tube was staffed with new recruits sourced from outside of LU, when these new recruits were balloted to strike earlier this year there was a 100% vote in support of a strike.

Well duh, if these newbies have seen the disgustingly high salaries being paid to their colleagues, obviously they'd want a piece of that too.

The whole of London Underground / TfL is rotten and needs outsourcing.
benbb1 h, 3 m ago

A- the strike has been cancelled, andB- looks like the usual comments from …A- the strike has been cancelled, andB- looks like the usual comments from people moaning about something they know nothing about because their gullible enough to believe junk in the evening standard

Hi there, I haven't read the evening standard in many years.
However, I did take a look at that glassdoor site in an earlier post which confirmed what I'd heard elsewhere regarding the obscene salaries earnt by these selfish buggers.
Pray do enlighten us gullible people if you know something different.
Last time , it took me 5 hours to drive to work and I was using Google maps and going all over London. Never again!
benbb1 h, 27 m ago

Even if they did it wouldnt prevent strikes. Night tube was staffed with …Even if they did it wouldnt prevent strikes. Night tube was staffed with new recruits sourced from outside of LU, when these new recruits were balloted to strike earlier this year there was a 100% vote in support of a strike.

As if they had a choice whether to join a union or how they should vote by the old crusty guard
sounds like fun driving trains all day, I'll do it for 50p less than what they get per hour
The problem with public staff is they have high rents or mortgages...if only Tories or Labour had invested in Council housing at least for them (and the Child Tax Credit baby boom) the costs of wages and using services could be kept down and Council estates would not be ghettos where people want out and then it’s left to rot for another regeneration and the cycle starts again...

Quite frankly this countries governments and public services have been a long joke a very long time.
dataload1 h, 25 m ago

sounds like fun driving trains all day, I'll do it for 50p less than what …sounds like fun driving trains all day, I'll do it for 50p less than what they get per hour

I’ll do it for £2 less and a staff provided Council house rent free....I’ll even drive nude to save on aircon & costs in my cabin -it’s a open market and you have been out bid have a nice day
Always confuses me when people think those striking are somehow spoilt, do you think most people would walk out on employment without a good reason?

So do people begrudge others getting payed more than them, having rights? seriously what am I missing?

davewave1 h, 58 m ago

As if they had a choice whether to join a union or how they should vote by …As if they had a choice whether to join a union or how they should vote by the old crusty guard

That's what a union is, you have to opt in and everybody gets a vote. God forbid a group try to protect their lives and pay by striking.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants