Ticket in a Sainsbury car park

Found 26th Sep 2015
My wife went to Sainsbury's to do her shopping, we have a blue badge because of my disabled son. As he was playing up in the car, she forgot to put the badge on the dashboard. As she came out of the supermarket, she saw the parking attendant finishing to put a ticket. When he saw her on my son, he realise that she forgot to put the badge up, and took the ticket and told her to call the company to appeal. I did that as soon as she came back home, what are the chances to have the ticket cancelled? Anyone with experience with privately-owned car park?
Thank you

1. Ask
  2. Car
  3. Ticket
31 Comments

You should be fine if you called and appealed it. Most private car parks don't have much legality in forcing any money from anyone anyway and just rely on people not appealing and just paying. Think it's only council car parks that can take you to court etc.

Considering you have a blue badge anyway even it went this far you'll be fine.

i don't know the legalities of car park enforcement on private land, but i can tell you about it on land owned by councils

if you didnt display your badge correctly, or not at all in your case, you have right to appeal in the slightest. There are rules and guidelines in place that say exactly how you must display your disabled badge, and as far as i know, it is enforceable by a court if you do not pay

again, that is only from experience on council owned land/ran carparks

anyone who just says..ignore it, they cant do anything...i wouldnt want to take that advice to have a bailiff knock on my door trying to seize goods

Do not pay it. This is a private car park and it is not a fine. Its an invoice because they alleged you were in breach of contract by parking in their disabled bay in contravention of their stated conditions. This will give you a flavour of how to deal with it without paying.

Private Unfair Parking Tickets

This article is particularly relevant to your circumstances:

Supermarket disabled bays

Edited by: "Gordonc1960" 26th Sep 2015

Firstly contact sainsburys ask them to have it cancelled. A lot of people are having it cancelled by the store manager, if that fails then appeal

Failing to display Blue Badge isn't an excuse.

That said the OP can still appeal to the store manager and if denied can still fight the issuing of the ticket.

Some people seem to think just because it's private land there is no reason to pay. That's today's society for you.

Had the OP seen a non badge holder abuse the "private' disabled parking space I'm certain they would have loved to see them issued with a ticket.

In my opinion the OP should contact the store but if rejected pay up and use this as a learning curve.

And yes in the past I've been ticketed for not displaying blue badge and I paid up because I accepted my mistake.

Pay your fine for not displaying and don't do it again.

Why ask on here ? Tell Sainsburys the circumstances , I'm sure they'll be sympathetic .

What schoolboy idiot votes a sensible suggestion down ? Takes all sorts I suppose

Go to the store manager & explain everything to him. If it's a parking company employed by the store. the store manager can definitely get the ticket cancelled. I did it myself just last week.

Sainsburys can cancel them. Take your badge in when you go to speak to them. As previously said it's and invoice not a fine. If all else fails look into Beavis vs Parking Eye.

rogparki

What schoolboy idiot votes a sensible suggestion down ? Takes all sorts I … What schoolboy idiot votes a sensible suggestion down ? Takes all sorts I suppose

I can't see any sensible suggestions down voted.

Original Poster

Ok thanks for all the replies. I have written to the private company explaining the situation, hopefully they will be understanding. For those that tell me to pay and learn the lesson, i usually, actually always respect the law, ok my wife made a mistake, and the attendant saw that, he said he could not cancel the ticket (thus it took the ticket away and throw it away). What annoys me most is that it was a mistake, but for example some gypsies have setup camp in the public carpark of our local swimming pool, they have been here for over 10 days now, do the council do something about it? No they don't, but us the common taxpayer we have to obey and follow the rules at all times. Sorry just my 2 minutes of ranting

Edited by: "jeannot18" 26th Sep 2015

Original Poster

rogparki

Why ask on here ? Tell Sainsburys the circumstances , I'm sure they'll be … Why ask on here ? Tell Sainsburys the circumstances , I'm sure they'll be sympathetic .

My wife did, the girl that was there could not be bothered to do anything. Why here, because i always been helped by others that had more experience or advice to give

kjcoolcat

kjcoolcat

Contact the issuer of the ticket not sensible in such a situation ? Back to your homework

rogparki

Contact the issuer of the ticket not sensible in such a situation ? Back … Contact the issuer of the ticket not sensible in such a situation ? Back to your homework

Did sainsburys issue the ticket then? I've never seen sainsburys traffic wardens before.. My guess is that Doris on customer services isn't going to be able to retract a parking fine.

In case you haven't noticed, this is an "ask" section, of a public forum. It wouldn't be very good if everyone answered every question with "contact sainsburys / use google / etc...)

Your answers are not the be all, and end all.. In fact, they're generally pretty useless. You call people kids & idiots because your comments get down voted ?!. wow... And your telling me to get back to MY homework...? Joker.

My blue badge fell off the dashboard after I closed the door and I didn't notice. When I got back, I had a ticket. I wrote to the council who cancelled the ticket. I hope it works for you too.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

t4r

My blue badge fell off the dashboard after I closed the door and I didn't … My blue badge fell off the dashboard after I closed the door and I didn't notice. When I got back, I had a ticket. I wrote to the council who cancelled the ticket. I hope it works for you too. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

How hard did you slam the door? Did the frame bend and window smash?

kjcoolcat

Did sainsburys issue the ticket then? I've never seen sainsburys traffic … Did sainsburys issue the ticket then? I've never seen sainsburys traffic wardens before.. My guess is that Doris on customer services isn't going to be able to retract a parking fine.In case you haven't noticed, this is an "ask" section, of a public forum. It wouldn't be very good if everyone answered every question with "contact sainsburys / use google / etc...)Your answers are not the be all, and end all.. In fact, they're generally pretty useless. You call people kids & idiots because your comments get down voted ?!. wow... And your telling me to get back to MY homework...? Joker.

Err ! Are you a Sandwich short of a picnic ? I said contact the issuer of the "ticket " which may or may not be Sainsburys . Please read before commenting . Just shows my initial comment was absolutely correct - Doh !
Edited by: "rogparki" 26th Sep 2015

Gordonc1960

Do not pay it. This is a private car park and it is not a fine. Its an … Do not pay it. This is a private car park and it is not a fine. Its an invoice because they alleged you were in breach of contract by parking in their disabled bay in contravention of their stated conditions. This will give you a flavour of how to deal with it without paying.Private Unfair Parking TicketsThis article is particularly relevant to your circumstances:Supermarket disabled bays

+1

Private fines are not enforceable like council fines. You will get letters threatening you with court action - ignore them all and they will go away. Their argument would never stand up in court - charging some £80+ fine is not proportionate to the parking. For this reason private parking firms never take anyone to court. Keep your bottle and return letters to sender - they will desist.

I had a ticket from parking eye when our local morrisons changed the ticketing system in the car park but I wasn't aware. went with my receipt to the customer services section and they had the ticket cancelled as it was a first time and they must have had plenty of customers come in asking for it to be cancelled.

Ive had 3 private parking tickets previously and not paid for any of them.
1 - Overstaying 90 minute limit (by 7 minutes)
2 - Not parked in a marked bay - i was parked slightly over the line (The lines were barely wide enough to contain a family car, never mind a transit van that had parked actually on the line in the space next to mine)
3 - Not parked fully in a bay - When someone in front of my car had parked so far forward i couldnt get my car fully into the bay.

I appealed to each of the parking "scam" companies, but each rejected the appeal. Hardly surprising since they're a commercial business working for profit. I had to go through the independant parking accosiation to get the ticket overturned.

Amazing that they couldn't give a toss if your car gets broken into or gets scraped/scratched though, maybe because theres no profit for them?

The supermarkets themselves generally dont care about the parking tickets as they dont want to get involved. They usually recommend you "contact the parking company directly"
Edited by: "118luke" 27th Sep 2015

this happened before to my mum at Asda. she appealed and also sent pictures of her blue badge to prove she had one and they cancelled it.x

rogparki

Err ! Are you a Sandwich short of a picnic ? I said contact the issuer of … Err ! Are you a Sandwich short of a picnic ? I said contact the issuer of the "ticket " which may or may not be Sainsburys . Please read before commenting . Just shows my initial comment was absolutely correct - Doh !

You mean the initial comment that said to contact Sainsburys?

bigweapon07

How hard did you slam the door? Did the frame bend and window smash?

Hard enough for the badge to fall off the dashboard but not hard enough to smash windows and bend frames.

I'm surprised that nobody has yet told you to ......

STOP SHOPPING THERE!!!

If more people did this there would not be these leeches and pond life infesting supermarket car parks. Hit them in the only place they know .... Their profits!

Basically a private owned car park means nothing, it's the same as someone parking on your drive illegally and you stick a ticket on their car charging them. It's the same as an invoice. The parking company will get your name and details from the dvla, if your car is in your name and your wife was driving it you don't have to give your wife's details, if you say you wasn't driving the car and your not prepared to hand the info over to them then it's up to them to find out who was driving the car. Which will be more or less impossible.

I had a ticket from aldi rescinded for parking over the time limit. Show Sainsbury's prof of purchase along with badge and they should retract it. Pointless contacting the parking company cause their a business and rely on your money.

Original Poster

Thanks again guys for all the replies, I will let you know what they say to me, if they don't want to cancel it, I will approach Sainsbury's directly as suggested, thanks again

Tell them to ensure they take thier crystal balls out with them next time.....

steveblackman

I had a ticket from aldi rescinded for parking over the time limit. Show … I had a ticket from aldi rescinded for parking over the time limit. Show Sainsbury's prof of purchase along with badge and they should retract it. Pointless contacting the parking company cause their a business and rely on your money.

What was the limit ?? 30 minutes

get in touch with store manager and explain.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants