Tidy Cables Behind TV

Found 6th Feb 2012
Hello,

How do you lot keep your cables tidy behind your TV? I have a glass cabinet and it's a right isore behind it for everyone to see.

Would be interesting to know what you all used.

Cheers
Community Updates
MiscTV
36 Comments
I use cable ties, although they get a little hot...

Glad I have insurance
Yep, strangely we use cable ties too!
Velcro cable ties, much preferred as can be undone and rearranged in seconds if needs be

amazon.co.uk/s/r…161
cable ties.

I'm a bit **** with wires.
Edited by: "doritos" 6th Feb 2012
http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/homebase/images//21285HBO111111M.jpg

Something like this. Get them in any of the pound shops.
Edited by: "modoc" 6th Feb 2012
Original Poster Banned
Thanks, the problem I have though is that you can't use most of these to make a real difference behind the actual unit. I have 2 different HDMI cables coming out the back of the tv and going to various locations on my cabinet, aswell as speaker cable going to the back of the TV and power leads, it just wouldn't work.

If there are any experts please post your photos.
Edited by: "jaydog69" 6th Feb 2012
thesaint

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/cable-management-1130105

lol
sancho1983

I use cable ties, although they get a little hot...Glad I have insurance

if your cables are getting hot without exhaust from other devices being blown on them then theres something wrong with your setup.
deathtrap3000

if your cables are getting hot without exhaust from other devices being … if your cables are getting hot without exhaust from other devices being blown on them then theres something wrong with your setup.

Clearly no-one got it

hotukdeals.com/mis…666
sancho1983

Clearly no-one got it :)http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/cable-wrap-1136666

I got it straight away.
I think having loads of cables visible is damn fugly and good cable management is essential if I'm to remain sane! To solve my problem, I really had to think outside the box and consider any possible solution. Some solutions to consider are (in no particular order):

Wall mount your TV and run cables inside the wall.
Get rid of the glass unit for something that will more easily hide cables.
Get rid of some of your kit if it's not essential.
Cut the length of power cables if possible.
Use very short interconnects where possible.
Move kit about to conceal cables if possible.
Group power cables if possible.
Run/ tuck cables under the edge of carpet if possible.
Tuck excess cable underneath the unit where it's less visible.

Alternatively, you can just accept that cables will be visible and just, well, accept it.

If you post pics of your set up, you might get more specific suggestions on cable management.
Original Poster Banned
thesaint

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/cable-management-1130105

Any need? Seriously? When I'm looking for advice, I don't need people taking the p...
Edited by: "jaydog69" 6th Feb 2012
jaydog69

Any need? Seriously? When I'm looking for advice, I don't need people … Any need? Seriously? When I'm looking for advice, I don't need people taking the p...

But it's the third thread about what is ostensibly the same thing
In all honesty, if none of the above will do it for you then you're either stuck with wires showing or you need to change the cabinet for a wooden one that will enable you to hide the wires a bit better.
windhoek

I think having loads of cables visible is damn fugly and good cable … I think having loads of cables visible is damn fugly and good cable management is essential if I'm to remain sane! To solve my problem, I really had to think outside the box and consider any possible solution. Some solutions to consider are (in no particular order):Wall mount your TV and run cables inside the wall.Get rid of the glass unit for something that will more easily hide cables.Get rid of some of your kit if it's not essential.Cut the length of power cables if possible.Use very short interconnects where possible.Move kit about to conceal cables if possible.Group power cables if possible.Run/ tuck cables under the edge of carpet if possible.Tuck excess cable underneath the unit where it's less visible.Alternatively, you can just accept that cables will be visible and just, well, accept it.If you post pics of your set up, you might get more specific suggestions on cable management.

As he says, plus:

Never run signal cables and power cables in the same cable management - it's bad practice and can lead to induced interference.
I always run signal cables down one vertical side of the set up, and power cables along the other side. Personally I always use trunking or beading (depending on the number of cables). Always avoid using cable ties - you don't need them if using trunking/beading, and all they do is make changing cables/upgrades/ trouble shooting more hassle. Spiral wrap is an easy solution, although I think it looks damn ugly.
That's the way I do it. It's just about how much time and money you want to spend

Edited by: "gizmouk" 6th Feb 2012
Original Poster Banned
gizmouk

As he says, plus:Never run signal cables and power cables in the same … As he says, plus:Never run signal cables and power cables in the same cable management. It's bad practice and can lead to induced interference.I always run signal cables down one vertical side of the set up, and power cables along the other side. Personally I always use trunking or beading (depending on the number of cables). Always avoid using cable ties - you don't need them if using trunking/beading, and all they do is make changing cables/upgrades/ trouble shooting more hassle. Spiral wrap is an easy solution, although I think it looks damn ugly. That's the way I do it. It's just about how much time and money you want to spend

Thanks, it's just knowing what's safe to use. Bit paranoid about electricity and cables lol I have loads of spiral wrap, which I don't mind the look of, but feels a bit tight.
Yeah power cables should be separated from signal cable; that's why I only mentioned grouping power cables. If power cables and signal cables must cross paths, try to make them cross as perpendicular to one another as possible.
We have made best use of all available furniture

TV on wall with cables inside wall cavity.
Cables run along back of low tv cabinet with PS3, VIRGIN HD, and home theatre head unit visible at front only. The top of cabinet it made use of by our 2 year old as a play table.
Cables running under carpet and up, inside walls to surround speakers.
Made use of fish tank stand to house our subwoofer underneath.
Its all about blending the equipment into the living space so not intrusive.

We have LOADS of cables and you need a keen eye to spot ANY of them!!
Banned
cheap white board behind the glass cabinet and paint to same colour as the wall
Bizarre, thought you were asking for advice from other places in future?
norfolk_enchance

We have made best use of all available furnitureTV on wall with cables … We have made best use of all available furnitureTV on wall with cables inside wall cavity.Cables run along back of low tv cabinet with PS3, VIRGIN HD, and home theatre head unit visible at front only. The top of cabinet it made use of by our 2 year old as a play table.Cables running under carpet and up, inside walls to surround speakers.Made use of fish tank stand to house our subwoofer underneath.Its all about blending the equipment into the living space so not intrusive.We have LOADS of cables and you need a keen eye to spot ANY of them!!

I bet the fish love that. X)
Original Poster Banned
csiman

cheap white board behind the glass cabinet and paint to same colour as … cheap white board behind the glass cabinet and paint to same colour as the wall

I have a corner unit so not that easy.
Original Poster Banned
Brownrooster

Bizarre, thought you were asking for advice from other places in future?

Too much free time me thinks?
If it has cable management holes in the shelves you could put a drain pipe in there and hide the cables in that. SRS post
Original Poster Banned
Shengis

If it has cable management holes in the shelves you could put a drain … If it has cable management holes in the shelves you could put a drain pipe in there and hide the cables in that. SRS post

SRS?
jaydog69

SRS?

100% X)
Shengis

If it has cable management holes in the shelves you could put a drain … If it has cable management holes in the shelves you could put a drain pipe in there and hide the cables in that. SRS post

Actually not a bad idea I used 40mm waste pipe on a hifi seperates unit and sprayed it chrome years ago.

Used a 40mm hole saw to cut into the unit shelves and 20mm spade bit to cut into the rear of the pipe at each shelve level to place each units wires as the unit was black ash effect (thats how long ago we are talking) and had chrome (effect) tube legs it looked like it was part of it.

All our wires now are in trunking with the cover coloured to match the skirtings and door frames (used self adhesive vinyl cut to size - cut it clightly over by about 3mm each side then get a new stanley blade and run it at a right angle to the edge you want to trim using the trunking to keep the blade straight).
harlzter

Actually not a bad idea I used 40mm waste pipe on a hifi seperates unit … Actually not a bad idea I used 40mm waste pipe on a hifi seperates unit and sprayed it chrome years ago.Used a 40mm hole saw to cut into the unit shelves and 20mm spade bit to cut into the rear of the pipe at each shelve level to place each units wires as the unit was black ash effect (thats how long ago we are talking) and had chrome (effect) tube legs it looked like it was part of it.All our wires now are in trunking with the cover coloured to match the skirtings and door frames (used self adhesive vinyl cut to size - cut it clightly over by about 3mm each side then get a new stanley blade and run it at a right angle to the edge you want to trim using the trunking to keep the blade straight).

Yep thats what i'm talking about. Standard glass shelves with CM holes are normally 55mm so 50mm (2") drainpipe works quite well. I got as far as getting the drainpipe but still got to feed the wires through it.......
Original Poster Banned
Shengis

100% X)

Nobody really understands what you're saying as you're in your own little world buddy.
jaydog69

Nobody really understands what you're saying as you're in your own little … Nobody really understands what you're saying as you're in your own little world buddy.

Post #28 says you're wrong.
Mines is completely wireless .. sky .. tv .. Xbox .. ps3 .. Pc .. wifi .. look it up its awesome.
Original Poster Banned
kev_u8701r

Mines is completely wireless .. sky .. tv .. Xbox .. ps3 .. Pc .. wifi .. … Mines is completely wireless .. sky .. tv .. Xbox .. ps3 .. Pc .. wifi .. look it up its awesome.

How?! Lets see it.
Original Poster Banned
Shengis

Post #28 says you're wrong.

I don't know what you mean by SRS to be fair. You haven't explained it.
jaydog69

I don't know what you mean by SRS to be fair. You haven't explained it.

SeRiouS
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/4908/dsc00077xk.jpg
Cable Ties and Same Colour Covers
Mtommy^
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions