Tiger Electronics LCD handheld games making a comeback.

Posted 12th Mar
I think these got revealed a few weeks back but I wasn't aware until today. The classic Tiger Electronics LCD handheld games, popular in the late 1980s/early 1990s, are officially making a comeback.

3421535.jpg
These take me back to my childhood. They probably don't play well at all by modern standards (...did they ever?) but this is a massive slice of nostalgia.

Available to preorder ahead of their 1st August 2020 (re)release, there will be 4 games to begin with, priced at £15.99 each.

3421535.jpgX-Men: Project X

3421535.jpgSonic The Hedgehog 3

3421535.jpgTransformers: Generation 2

3421535.jpgThe Little Mermaid
Community Updates
Misc
9 Comments
I used to have the Gauntlet game they made, I absolutely loved it back in the day.
Were Tiger known as Grandstand earlier in their lifespan? I used to have a ton of their games (they weren't handhelds - the more bulky ones that went on your lap and used a "universal adaptor" which broke pretty quickly and cost a bomb).

I had Astro Wars, Munchman, Firefox F-7 and a Hales-branded Dracula game (think Hales had something to do with Grandstand as well).

The only LCD double screen handheld game I had was Nintendo Mario Brothers
Edited by: "louiselouise" 13th Mar
louiselouise13/03/2020 02:52

Were Tiger known as Grandstand earlier in their lifespan? I used to have a …Were Tiger known as Grandstand earlier in their lifespan? I used to have a ton of their games (they weren't handhelds - the more bulky ones that went on your lap and used a "universal adaptor" which broke pretty quickly and cost a bomb).I had Astro Wars, Munchman, Firefox F-7 and a Hales-branded Dracula game (think Hales had something to do with Grandstand as well).The only LCD double screen handheld game I had was Nintendo Mario Brothers

I still have Astro wars boxed in my mother’s loft, I checked it a few years back it still works... I only found a few of the handheld games but the rest will be kicking around...
Haircut_10012/03/2020 23:39

I used to have the Gauntlet game they made, I absolutely loved it back in …I used to have the Gauntlet game they made, I absolutely loved it back in the day.

Was that a maze game? If so, I had the Robin Hood equivalent of it which I loved. No idea where it ended up after all these years but here's a Google search image below.

40097309-215fc.jpg
R2Pacman13/03/2020 11:14

Was that a maze game? If so, I had the Robin Hood equivalent of it which I …Was that a maze game? If so, I had the Robin Hood equivalent of it which I loved. No idea where it ended up after all these years but here's a Google search image below.[Image]

youtu.be/7HQ…=66
Haircut_10013/03/2020 11:25

https://youtu.be/7HQAFlGD10k?t=66

Yes they are pretty much the same game, Robin Hood being a clone of Gauntlet.

I think Tiger were CGL?

I have Grandstand Woodman, and Nintendo's Pinball dual screen one - Pinball is worth something like £70 at CEX.

I also had Puck Monster and Astro Wars, but they're long since gone.
Edited by: "alg" 13th Mar
I had Gauntlet and Sonic(1 I think) and some others I forget, Gauntlet was the best! Couldn't they made them cheaper though, I'm sure they were around this price or cheaper in the 90's. What will they bring out next, Barcode Battler?!
Edited by: "Zek" 13th Mar
Zek13/03/2020 13:33

I had Gauntlet and Sonic(1 I think) and some others I forget, Gauntlet was …I had Gauntlet and Sonic(1 I think) and some others I forget, Gauntlet was the best! Couldn't they made them cheaper though, I'm sure they were around this price or cheaper in the 90's. What will they bring out next, Barcode Battler?!

Yeah they're going to be a niche item anyway, so I'm not sure how many people will bite at £15.99... although take into account inflation and these work out cheaper in real money terms.

I may still have a Barcode Battler hiding away somewhere in the loft. It was just numbers on a screen but I loved mine. I built up a large barcode collection from cereal boxes and the like, and one scanned in with ridiculously high stats that made beating opponents much easier.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants