tile adhesive

Posted 4th Apr
Hi All,

Planning to tile floors and walls of the kitchen.

Looking at adhesives, so many to choose from. Thinking to get Mapei.

But within Mapei, should i go for quick set or slow set? I will be fixing the tiles myself.

any leads as to where i can get them from, cheap, delivered.

thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

29 Comments
If you have never tiled before use the slower setting adhesive and I would use the ready mixed stuff on the walls
Scotland131404/04/2020 21:39

If you have never tiled before use the slower setting adhesive and I would …If you have never tiled before use the slower setting adhesive and I would use the ready mixed stuff on the walls

Never tiled before but can easily do diy stuff.

The problem is that there isnt any stock anywhere.. why people recommend using ready mix on walls? Any particular reason?
Mapei 'flexible' iv always been recommended
Sandy101204/04/2020 21:49

Mapei 'flexible' iv always been recommended

Yes flexible is what i was told for both floor and wall. Also anti-mould ones

But the range is over whelming. Plus low or no stock anywhere because of the current scenario
Mapei grey 10kg £10.
Go for white will save you time with the cleaning.
Quick set you'll be fine.
rimalpatel00704/04/2020 21:57

Mapei grey 10kg £10. Go for white will save you time with the cleaning. …Mapei grey 10kg £10. Go for white will save you time with the cleaning. Quick set you'll be fine.

Where from? Any recommended sellers?
haa051804/04/2020 21:58

Where from? Any recommended sellers?

I got half a dozen bags from BnQ in Feb.
haa051804/04/2020 21:45

Never tiled before but can easily do diy stuff. The problem is that there …Never tiled before but can easily do diy stuff. The problem is that there isnt any stock anywhere.. why people recommend using ready mix on walls? Any particular reason?

Use ready mixed on wall it’s the right consistency it should be anti slide and won’t go off in the tube for days after opening it
rimalpatel00704/04/2020 22:05

I got half a dozen bags from BnQ in Feb.

Checked b&q, not available in any branch
Scotland131404/04/2020 22:05

Use ready mixed on wall it’s the right consistency it should be anti slide …Use ready mixed on wall it’s the right consistency it should be anti slide and won’t go off in the tube for days after opening it

I see. But if i make a think consistency then shouldn’t it be anti-slip.. so confusing this is
haa051804/04/2020 22:09

I see. But if i make a think consistency then shouldn’t it be anti-slip.. s …I see. But if i make a think consistency then shouldn’t it be anti-slip.. so confusing this is

It won’t last long tho and seeing u haven’t done it before better ready mixed.

Is your floor concrete or wood
Scotland131404/04/2020 22:18

It won’t last long tho and seeing u haven’t done it before better ready mix …It won’t last long tho and seeing u haven’t done it before better ready mixed. Is your floor concrete or wood

Concrete floor. So will be using pva primer before tiling.
Another issue is that is no where. I need around 10 bags and some companies charging £25-35 for delivery...
Go
haa051804/04/2020 22:20

Concrete floor. So will be using pva primer before tiling. Another issue …Concrete floor. So will be using pva primer before tiling. Another issue is that is no where. I need around 10 bags and some companies charging £25-35 for delivery...

Good you’re priming. I don’t think any suppliers are open for this stuff I’m struggling for getting slabs sand and chips
Scotland131404/04/2020 22:25

GoGood you’re priming. I don’t think any suppliers are open for this stuff …GoGood you’re priming. I don’t think any suppliers are open for this stuff I’m struggling for getting slabs sand and chips

Chips??? What chips?

Slabs maybe from wickes you can..or private merchant
haa051804/04/2020 22:29

Chips??? What chips?Slabs maybe from wickes you can..or private merchant

Red stone chips. All builders merchants shut up here for the foreseeable future
Scotland131404/04/2020 22:32

Red stone chips. All builders merchants shut up here for the foreseeable …Red stone chips. All builders merchants shut up here for the foreseeable future

Shows available in wickes
Nobody has asked the size of tile and material?

Also you can not use pva to prime.
themorgatron04/04/2020 22:56

Nobody has asked the size of tile and material?Also you can not use pva to …Nobody has asked the size of tile and material?Also you can not use pva to prime.

Mapei prime i will use on floor and wall.

Tiles are small sized. Either 450x450 or smaller
Try Screwfix. Stores operating click & collect only though.
I have bought a mix of two adhesives
Unless you are buying (click & collect only) an essential item (plumbing, electrical,) something for an emergency from say Wickes, B & Q ect, you won't be able to.
It'll either say out of stock or won't let you add it to the basket. I can understand why, they don't want people to go out collecting items that aren't deemed essential.
haa051804/04/2020 23:11

Mapei prime i will use on floor and wall. Tiles are small sized. Either …Mapei prime i will use on floor and wall. Tiles are small sized. Either 450x450 or smaller

Ceramic or porcelain?
richp05/04/2020 07:56

Unless you are buying (click & collect only) an essential item (plumbing, …Unless you are buying (click & collect only) an essential item (plumbing, electrical,) something for an emergency from say Wickes, B & Q ect, you won't be able to.It'll either say out of stock or won't let you add it to the basket. I can understand why, they don't want people to go out collecting items that aren't deemed essential.

i understand where you are coming from. but i really have to get the kitchen done, all of the kitchen units were delivered before the lockdown and are sitting in the lounge area now. so they need to be moved i.e. get fixed
themorgatron05/04/2020 08:12

Ceramic or porcelain?

its a mix of both.

for kitchen - its all ceramic
for washroom - floor is porcelain and i am still deciding on wall tiles.
haa051805/04/2020 12:00

i understand where you are coming from. but i really have to get the …i understand where you are coming from. but i really have to get the kitchen done, all of the kitchen units were delivered before the lockdown and are sitting in the lounge area now. so they need to be moved i.e. get fixed

Hey, oh yeah, I'm in the same boat, I ripped my kitchen out, was waiting on delivery & fitting, they postponed everything. So I've got kitchen stuff all over the place, all the floor & wall tiles ripped off, no wall cupboards ect. Needs replastering, luckily I had the ceiling done & new lights fitted, so at least we can see what we are doing in there. They are looking at June (fingers crossed) to re-deliver & start fitting but you know there's folk out there in a much worse situation,so I gotta be thankful for that.
Edited by: "richp" 5th Apr
haa051805/04/2020 12:04

its a mix of both. for kitchen - its all ceramicfor washroom - floor is …its a mix of both. for kitchen - its all ceramicfor washroom - floor is porcelain and i am still deciding on wall tiles.

You need to ensure adhesive is suitable for porcelain. I really like Ardex X7W, under £15 for a 20kg bag. If you have that much tiling to do I would never use tubbed stuff, cement based is far superior. Don't bother with rapid set.
themorgatron05/04/2020 15:42

You need to ensure adhesive is suitable for porcelain. I really like Ardex …You need to ensure adhesive is suitable for porcelain. I really like Ardex X7W, under £15 for a 20kg bag. If you have that much tiling to do I would never use tubbed stuff, cement based is far superior. Don't bother with rapid set.

Should i return all the rapid set i have got? And replace them with cement based ones?
haa051805/04/2020 16:59

Should i return all the rapid set i have got? And replace them with cement …Should i return all the rapid set i have got? And replace them with cement based ones?

You need to use a paddle mixer with cement based. It's more faff, but you get a much better bond with tiles, and save considerable money.

I never use rapid set, you waste far too much with it going 'off' in the bucket.
themorgatron05/04/2020 18:59

You need to use a paddle mixer with cement based. It's more faff, but you …You need to use a paddle mixer with cement based. It's more faff, but you get a much better bond with tiles, and save considerable money.I never use rapid set, you waste far too much with it going 'off' in the bucket.

So regardless of ceramic or porcelain you suggest getting the cement based ones?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions