Tilikum, the killer whale that inspired a movement to end captivity, has died after illness :(

Found 6th Jan
Sad news. Watched the documentary (blackfish) last year, absolutely disgusted at the way the whales were treated.

Tilikum was only 36. I genuinely believe his captivity played a massive part in his illness & death. Seaworld should be shut down.

74 Comments

Everybody should watch Blackfish and then shut down these places forever

Original Poster

archer1204

Everybody should watch Blackfish and then shut down these places forever

Agreed. I was crying when I first watched it.

Aiden1512

Agreed. I was crying when I first watched it.

deeky

Just to play Devil's advocate, here is Seaworld's side to the story.

Do you think its right that these creatures should be kept the way they are and taught tricks.

Original Poster

deeky

Just to play Devil's advocate, here is Seaworld's side to the story.

I read this page before. Nothing but lame excuses and "explanations" that make no real difference to the concerns outlined in the documentary. Ridiculous (_;)

Edited by: "A1512" 6th Jan

archer1204

Do you think its right that these creatures should be kept the way they … Do you think its right that these creatures should be kept the way they are and taught tricks.

I've been to Orlando 7 or 8 times. Draw your own conclusions from that, although I'm not here to debate the rights and wrongs. I was just playing Devil's Advocate.

deeky

I've been to Orlando 7 or 8 times. Draw your own conclusions from that, … I've been to Orlando 7 or 8 times. Draw your own conclusions from that, although I'm not here to debate the rights and wrongs. I was just playing Devil's Advocate.

archer1204

What? Orlando is great

So you've never been to a zoo? Or an aquarium? Or been fishing?

Edited by: "deeky" 6th Jan

Original Poster

deeky

What? Orlando is great :|So you've never been to a zoo? Or an aquarium? … What? Orlando is great :|So you've never been to a zoo? Or an aquarium? Or been fishing?

Animals should only be in captivity if it benefits them. And they certainly shouldn't be made to perform for an audience or be made to breed for profits.

Banned

Very sorry to hear this. Was in Mexico for Xmas, watching the whales in the open sea is so much better.

deeky

What? Orlando is great :|So you've never been to a zoo? Or an aquarium? … What? Orlando is great :|So you've never been to a zoo? Or an aquarium? Or been fishing?

tbh when we went i preferred seaworld to disney, missus wouldn't let us go there again though after though as 'cruel'
i'll stay in my bubble thanks!

Aiden1512

I read this page before. Nothing but lame excuses and "explanations" that … I read this page before. Nothing but lame excuses and "explanations" that make no real difference to the concerns outlined in the documentary. Ridiculous (_;)<3

Like I said, I'm not gonna argue the rights and wrongs of it, other than to say that yeah, in an ideal world it would be lovely to see all animals free to live in their natural habitat.

I do try to keep an open mind though and try not to condemn anyone on the strength of one side's opinion. We've all seen the antics of these animal rights activists.

I've yet to see a Blackfish account of the life of a pigmy aardvark in captivity. The size and beauty of the killer whale makes it much more emotive.

Spooky that I ended up watching Blackfish on the flight to Orlando a few years ago before visiting Seaworld. Changed my view on these type of places. If you haven't seen the film it is a must see movie.

Aiden1512

I read this page before. Nothing but lame excuses and "explanations" that … I read this page before. Nothing but lame excuses and "explanations" that make no real difference to the concerns outlined in the documentary. Ridiculous (_;)<3

I did type a reply but my posts have started gong to moderation for some reason. If it doesn't turn up I cba typing it again, I'm not ignoring you

Edited by: "deeky" 6th Jan

Are anyone else's posts going to moderation in this thread?

deeky

Have you watched Blackfish

deeky

nope guess its just you so far

archer1204

Have you watched Blackfish

See #15. It's turned up.

deeky

See #15. It's turned up.

It says you keep an open mind which is fair enough but doesn't say whether you have watched it

Original Poster

deeky

Like I said, I'm not gonna argue the rights and wrongs of it, other than … Like I said, I'm not gonna argue the rights and wrongs of it, other than to say that yeah, in an ideal world it would be lovely to see all animals free to live in their natural habitat. I do try to keep an open mind though and try not to condemn anyone on the strength of one side's opinion. We've all seen the antics of these animal rights activists. I've yet to see a Blackfish account of the life of a pigmy aardvark in captivity. The size and beauty of the killer whale makes it much more emotive.

Completely understand your view. It's the ill treatment of the animals whilst in captivity that I don't agree with, as well as animals that are forced to perform. Seaworld, and other establishments that make money from performing, are no better than the circuses that use wild animals for their own selfish reasons. Establishments that breed animals for any other reason than saving the species etc, are no better than your average backdoor puppy farm/irresponsible owner. I just find it all very sad. If they don't need to be there, they shouldn't.

Original Poster

philhib1964

Spooky that I ended up watching Blackfish on the flight to Orlando a few … Spooky that I ended up watching Blackfish on the flight to Orlando a few years ago before visiting Seaworld. Changed my view on these type of places. If you haven't seen the film it is a must see movie.

Why did you still go?

archer1204

It says you keep an open mind which is fair enough but doesn't say … It says you keep an open mind which is fair enough but doesn't say whether you have watched it

No, it doesn't, does it.

Original Poster

I have replied, Deeky. But it's gone to the gods..erm.. Sorry, mods.
Edited by: "A1512" 6th Jan

He's probably better off dead anyway, as sad as it is, his life towards the end wasn't that great kept away from everyone and every thing, not "allowed interaction, what a life for such an intelligent animal. If you " liked" blackfish, watch the cove.

Aiden1512

Why did you still go?

To see for myself and because I had two kids and two grandkids that had been waiting to go for over 6 months.

Original Poster

philhib1964

To see for myself and because I had two kids and two grandkids that had … To see for myself and because I had two kids and two grandkids that had been waiting to go for over 6 months.

That's fair enough l suppose X) I wasn't having a go.

deeky

Like I said, I'm not gonna argue the rights and wrongs of it, other than … Like I said, I'm not gonna argue the rights and wrongs of it, other than to say that yeah, in an ideal world it would be lovely to see all animals free to live in their natural habitat. I do try to keep an open mind though and try not to condemn anyone on the strength of one side's opinion. We've all seen the antics of these animal rights activists. I've yet to see a Blackfish account of the life of a pigmy aardvark in captivity. The size and beauty of the killer whale makes it much more emotive.

You should make one deeky
http://www.zooborns.com/.a/6a010535647bf3970b017c376774e3970b-500wi

Aiden1512

Completely understand your view. It's the ill treatment of the animals … Completely understand your view. It's the ill treatment of the animals whilst in captivity that I don't agree with, as well as animals that are forced to perform. Seaworld, and other establishments that make money from performing, are no better than the circuses that use wild animals for their own selfish reasons. Establishments that breed animals for any other reason than saving the species etc, are no better than your average backdoor puppy farm/irresponsible owner. I just find it all very sad. If they don't need to be there, they shouldn't. <3

but dont some of these places give back some of their revenue to help actual conservation outside of the parks/zoos etc?
so breeding some helps some wild as well

At last. He's at peace and not trapped in a pool. Swim free

Went to Loro Parque in Tenerife and seen the Orca shows they are amazing creatures and although it was a dream to see them I was sad to see them in such conditions, The pools are far too small for a single Orca never mind several like they have. I came away feeling very sad, I understand for conservation purposes but for commercial it should not be allowed. They belong in the Ocean.

Jean Michel Cousteau has a great idea but i doubt Seaworld would ever do it
theguardian.com/us-…eau
[img]i.guim.co.uk/img…jpg?w=620&q=55&auto=format&usm=12&fit=max&s=c0ac898e4ea1fc74bd0dd26f045c4d7e[/img]
Edited by: "archer1204" 6th Jan

I was never into animal rights until i met my OH, who is extreme about animal rights and i have now come to the thinking that animals deserve to live their lives without being used to pleasure man.

I do agree that unfortunately animals have to be used for experiments to help human but only if they are treated well otherwise. Slightly uncomfortable thought to me as although i value human life more than animals, i still value animals having their rights.

Just throwing this out there would you goto to Seaworld or similar if they freed all the animals and put them into protected areas and instead turned it into an education centre for marine life and animals.Or is it because you like seeing the animals performing.

Original Poster

LillyM

He's probably better off dead anyway, as sad as it is, his life towards … He's probably better off dead anyway, as sad as it is, his life towards the end wasn't that great kept away from everyone and every thing, not "allowed interaction, what a life for such an intelligent animal. If you " liked" blackfish, watch the cove.

I've just finished watching the cove. I literally couldn't stop the tears coming at the end of the film when it showed the footage. It was absolutely horrific. I kind of wish I hadn't watched it now

Aiden1512

I've just finished watching the cove. I literally couldn't stop the tears … I've just finished watching the cove. I literally couldn't stop the tears coming at the end of the film when it showed the footage. It was absolutely horrific. I kind of wish I hadn't watched it now

Was that your first time of seeing it I watched it a few years ago
Edited by: "archer1204" 6th Jan

Original Poster

brilly

but dont some of these places give back some of their revenue to help … but dont some of these places give back some of their revenue to help actual conservation outside of the parks/zoos etc?so breeding some helps some wild as well

Not sure tbh. Even if they do, I doubt they do it out of the goodness of their heart. (_;)

Original Poster

archer1204

I watched it a few years ago

I don't usually watch these sort of things, as stupid as it sounds, for me it's too upsetting to see. I know it goes on, but sometimes it's better not seeing it actually take place. Only reason I watched blackfish was because my oh put it on and I didn't really know what it was about. I can only blame myself for watching the cove tonight though.

Just read an article about what's changed since the release of the documentary. I'm glad it's made some difference to the amount of dolphins being killed. So at least some good has come of it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!1117
    2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18226657
    3. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz1218
    4. can i swap out ssd frequently? day to day stuff33

See more discussions