Expired

Tiling a bathroom (Painted plasterboard)

Found 9th Nov 2011
hi guys, need advice, im looking to tile the bathroom, and google hasnt helped tbh, everyone just contradicts eachother over what to do...

im looking to tile the bathroom part of the bathroom, its currently painted, so unsure of the correct prep i.e remove paint or use some sort of glue on the paint i.e pva? i have no idea tbh...
Community Updates
MiscBathroomPaintTile
15 Comments
Just tile it normally, what's the worst that can happen???
LOL, tiles fall off and rip your legs off?
I've put tiles directly onto paint and it's fine. Just make sure the paint is not flaking off that's all.
never has a problem tiling over painted plaster
just get decent adhesive - ask at the place you get your tiles from.
Benjimoron

Just tile it normally, what's the worst that can happen???

This

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_oQVKozalh0c/Swydn74TepI/AAAAAAAAARQ/PvevkkWOhIA/bathroom6%5B3%5D.jpg

Pretty sure you don't want PVA as the tile is then stuck to the pva rather than the wall.

Some people say to 'roughen' the paint work so it sticks down well, but I have read loads of conflicting opinions, like you.

Just tile it
You should not have a problem tiling onto painted plasterboard, but if the paint is in really bad condition you could seal it with PVA/Water mix helping the tile adhesive have something to grip to.
just tile as normal youl be fine tho its probably emulsion not paint,paint is for wood and metal.tho you do get the odd nutjob that paints walls with it.
It would'nt hurt to score the wall up first with a knife to give a better key.
Pop down to your local tiling shop and have a look around and then talk to the assistant saying you are thinking of tiling your bathroom and like some of his tiles and then say you are concerned about tiling onto paint and see what he advises.
jamstaruk1972

just tile as normal youl be fine tho its probably emulsion not … just tile as normal youl be fine tho its probably emulsion not paint,paint is for wood and metal.tho you do get the odd nutjob that paints walls with it.

Water-based paint is still paint. Where do you come across this curious definition of paint from?
if the plastering was done correctly just put the tiles on , score the wall and get a decent adhesive , shoud be fine

thing to remember when building or buying tools , there usually expensive for a reason. example being if you buy everything from pound land , its in pound land for a reason and is probably ****
I've just finished tiling a bathroom .The walls had been emulsioned but the paint was in a poor condition .I helped to scrape all the paint of the walls with old wood chisels .One hell of a job and took days but I couldn't take the chance of the tiles falling off the walls. The walls were down to the bare plaster and I just lightly sprayed the walls with water before tiling .An old trick for tiling on wood was to mix sand into a mixture of PVA and paint on , let dry and it was supposed to be a good base for tiling .Never tried that myself.
timmit

It would'nt hurt to score the wall up first with a knife to give a better … It would'nt hurt to score the wall up first with a knife to give a better key.

and then next time he re-tiles most of the plasterboard comes off with the tiles, we built a new house and the decorator sprayed all walls with emulsion before any kitchens or bathrooms were even fitted
timmit

It would'nt hurt to score the wall up first with a knife to give a better … It would'nt hurt to score the wall up first with a knife to give a better key.

+1

I would definitely create a keyed surface. The plaster will come off regardless when removing tiles anyway.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants