Tiling a small area

Posted 25th Oct 2018
I need exactly 1sq meter of tiling done just outside our front door. I have been quoted £150 and the tiler is providing adhesive and grout too. I find it excessive, but maybe i am just out of touch with today's prices. I reckon for a good tiler there is maybe 1:30hr worth of work as it is a very accessible and straight forward job which could be done at the end of a working day or between jobs. Can anyone who knows about tiling if I am being overpriced, thank you
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
Go onto Rated people those sort of websites where you upload your job budget time scale etc and if it is within builders parameters they’ll contact you!
thanks
ASongOfIceandFire25th Oct 2018

Go onto Rated people those sort of websites where you upload your job …Go onto Rated people those sort of websites where you upload your job budget time scale etc and if it is within builders parameters they’ll contact you!

Thanks
Yes check round first or you could get someone like this

hotukdeals.com/dis…962
furbars51 s ago

Yes check round first or you could get someone like this Yes check round first or you could get someone like this https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/plastering-round-light-switches-advice-needed-3090962

Wow!! Did you pay him for that?
Lol no it's not me read the rest of the link.
Give us a picture of what needs doing, £150 is pretty expensive and grout/adhesive is super cheap too!
No chance he's going to do a decent job in an hour and a half. The reality is 3 hours.

Still expensive though.
I will take a picture tomorrow. But it is just under 1 m2. I honestly think it would not take 3 hours, the floor needs no prep, even if the side are not square, I can't see taking more than 90mins, that's 9 tiles, some with cut, to lay down
I need the same job done, small area about 8 tiles max I would say £120 but when I used a site called my builder or something I got scammers quoting me £600+ one even said £900 without materials and £1100 with materials. I’ve already purchased the tiles which he new they see my house and surrounding houses and think we’re rich.
deleted1523363
If you ever did any gluing at school then you are well able to do this yourself, go for it. watch a video.
Price appears reasonable. Tiler will have priced a half day labour (although it appears a small job, tiler needs to travel to and from job, get materials, factor in time to price job, etc...) and materials. Plus you will get 1 years warranty should anything go wrong.
It might take 1h30m to cut and get them down, but they have to set before you can grout then the grout has to at least start to set before you tidy it up.
Add in travel time and you could easily be looking at 4hours.
Why not DIY?

Very simple job. Materials £10, adhesive spreader £2,grouting float £3, electric cutter £30 (then sell on)
35792185-ixxMX.jpg

Here is a pic of the job needed. I hear you people about travelling time etc. But i had in mind that if the guy is working locally, and finish a job he could stop and do that in no time, he already would have the materials. As for waiting to set, he could come back to finish the grout on a different day. We are not in a rush, and happy to wait for the builder to do it when he suits him too. I just thought that £150 for that seems a little bit too much
MR112325/10/2018 22:08

I need the same job done, small area about 8 tiles max I would say £120 …I need the same job done, small area about 8 tiles max I would say £120 but when I used a site called my builder or something I got scammers quoting me £600+ one even said £900 without materials and £1100 with materials. I’ve already purchased the tiles which he new they see my house and surrounding houses and think we’re rich.

Well our house and surrounding is really nothing special, i haven't go a Ferrari on the drive neither. So maybe it's just the ongoing price. My daughter boyfriend is a bricklayer and charges £150 for a full day work, and he is pretty good and fast at his job, hence me thinking that £150 for a very small easy job like this is too much
jeannot1813 m ago

Well our house and surrounding is really nothing special, i haven't go a …Well our house and surrounding is really nothing special, i haven't go a Ferrari on the drive neither. So maybe it's just the ongoing price. My daughter boyfriend is a bricklayer and charges £150 for a full day work, and he is pretty good and fast at his job, hence me thinking that £150 for a very small easy job like this is too much

I agree.
Such a small area you could do it yourself.
ssc131 m ago

Such a small area you could do it yourself.

I am thinking about it, because it is the main entrance i want it to look good. I may ask one of my cousin who is a pretty decent DIYer some help and buy him a few bottles of wine
jeannot1826th Oct

Well our house and surrounding is really nothing special, i haven't go a …Well our house and surrounding is really nothing special, i haven't go a Ferrari on the drive neither. So maybe it's just the ongoing price. My daughter boyfriend is a bricklayer and charges £150 for a full day work, and he is pretty good and fast at his job, hence me thinking that £150 for a very small easy job like this is too much

Maybe ask him?
Where do you live?
hubcms46 m ago

Where do you live?

Essex
You might want to narrow it down a bit lol! Some parts of Essex are next to London, very built up and expensive to live there, then there is Jaywick 1 mile down the road from me.
My point being price will most likely vary considerably depending on location. I would probably charge you £75 plus materials, could be about £25.HTH
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants