Time to upgrade from LG G4, suggestions...

Found 27th Aug 2017
Hi folks, looking to move on from my LG G4. The main thing for me in a smartphone is an excellent camera with the flexibility of a good range of manual options.
I've been tempted by the E-global G6 deals posted recently but held off due to the warranty issues. Budget would be up to £400 for the handset.
Any suggestions ?
Cheers.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
29 Comments

V20 from eglobal for £260?

Galaxy note user here ... Great phone range

Original Poster

MIDURIX2 h, 58 m ago

V20 from eglobal for £260?

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the V20. Still have to get over my LG warranty jitters with EGC first.
Edited by: "naepace" 27th Aug 2017

naepace1 h, 35 m ago

Thanks, I'd forgotten about the V20. Still have to get over my LG warranty …Thanks, I'd forgotten about the V20. Still have to get over my LG warranty jitters with EGC first.

In my opinion it goes s7 < v20 < g6 < s8. So for the price I got the v20 for I don't think it's too bad. I had a G3 and I loved it, it got stolen and I replaced with a second hand s6, the s6 is meant to have a good battery, but mines knackered now and the screen has screen burn, plus the s6 is the same physical size as the G3, but the G3 has a bigger screen, so it was almost like a downgrade even though it should have been an upgrade. So went to try LG again. V20 has the two screens, remove battery and a weird setup for the front cameras, should be interesting.

Original Poster

How are you finding the results from camera ?
I love the camera on my G4 but I'm starting to get screen burn and I've already had one motherboard replaced under warranty (runs out October).

naepace1 h, 52 m ago

How are you finding the results from camera ?I love the camera on my G4 …How are you finding the results from camera ?I love the camera on my G4 but I'm starting to get screen burn and I've already had one motherboard replaced under warranty (runs out October).

I didn't think lcd screens suffered from screen burn, at least not as readily as oled.

If the screen is the problem, it's easy enough to replace. Costs about £30 for screen plus digitiser - I did it fairly easily without any prior experience.

Interestingly enough, I did it because I needed the motherboard replaced under warranty - I'd previously cracked the screen, just a minor one that didn't bother me, and LG said that they would accept it under warranty (boot loop) but not if there was any visible damage to the screen.

Why do you need to upgrade? My g4 is still super quick and the camera is fantastic. Android nougat is coming soon (currently being rolled out on south Korea)

Worth a try for screen burn

play.google.com/sto…ADQ
Edited by: "chocci" 28th Aug 2017

I have no idea what screen burn you are referring to.

I'm still using an LG G3... Does exactly what I need so not upgrading...

Original Poster

chocci10 h, 3 m ago

Why do you need to upgrade? My g4 is still super quick and the camera is …Why do you need to upgrade? My g4 is still super quick and the camera is fantastic. Android nougat is coming soon (currently being rolled out on south Korea)Worth a try for screen burn https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.codefortravel.amoled_screen_burn_in&hl=en_GB&referrer=utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_term=screen+burn+lg+g4&pcampaignid=APPU_1_OK6jWZLXOqWCgAal2b_ADQ

Cheers Chocci, maybe screen burn is not the correct term ? If I have a notification which is left on screen for a while when it is cleared, a 'ghost' is left behind for some time.
Also I would say my phone has become quite 'laggy'. I've considered rooting and using a custom rom to see if that improves things.

naepace31 m ago

Cheers Chocci, maybe screen burn is not the correct term ? If I have a …Cheers Chocci, maybe screen burn is not the correct term ? If I have a notification which is left on screen for a while when it is cleared, a 'ghost' is left behind for some time.Also I would say my phone has become quite 'laggy'. I've considered rooting and using a custom rom to see if that improves things.

Try doing a factory reset first and starting from scratch? I have to do that sometimes because I end up installing all kinds of rubbish that I don't use. The G4's hardware is still very capable, and you shouldn't be seeing lag. It's more than good enough for everything I know a phone can do.

+1 for a factory reset

New Pixel is due out soon, I would be tempted with the P10 as my current phone is the Nexus 6P and it's been my best phone yet.

naepace15 h, 50 m ago

Cheers Chocci, maybe screen burn is not the correct term ? If I have a …Cheers Chocci, maybe screen burn is not the correct term ? If I have a notification which is left on screen for a while when it is cleared, a 'ghost' is left behind for some time.Also I would say my phone has become quite 'laggy'. I've considered rooting and using a custom rom to see if that improves things.

Terminology is correct - that is describing screen burn - although I think that only applied to old CRT tv's I wouldn't think you would get burn on a modern phone screen.

Bigfootpete1 h, 34 m ago

New Pixel is due out soon, I would be tempted with the P10 as my current …New Pixel is due out soon, I would be tempted with the P10 as my current phone is the Nexus 6P and it's been my best phone yet.Terminology is correct - that is describing screen burn - although I think that only applied to old CRT tv's I wouldn't think you would get burn on a modern phone screen.

you can get screen burn on amoled screens unfortunately

chocci1 h, 23 m ago

you can get screen burn on amoled screens unfortunately

Ahaaa - thanks for that education - guess I should have really looked it up before thinking it wasn't the case!

Bigfootpete22 m ago

Ahaaa - thanks for that education - guess I should have really looked it …Ahaaa - thanks for that education - guess I should have really looked it up before thinking it wasn't the case!

tbh, I did just look it up lol

The lg g4 is quantum and I get a faint ghosting on the top notification due to wear on the display as the screen doesn't always time out on charging or running youtube.
It's just where there's extra wear on those parts of the screen so the colours are off.
Edited by: "kester76" 29th Aug 2017

Original Poster

kester766 h, 49 m ago

The lg g4 is quantum and I get a faint ghosting on the top notification …The lg g4 is quantum and I get a faint ghosting on the top notification due to wear on the display as the screen doesn't always time out on charging or running youtube.It's just where there's extra wear on those parts of the screen so the colours are off.

Yeah mate, that's exactly what is happening. I've done a factory reset, sorted out the lag but now my pc won't recognise the phone when connected by usb ! Tried various cables (all of which worked before).

naepace1 h, 5 m ago

Yeah mate, that's exactly what is happening. I've done a factory reset, …Yeah mate, that's exactly what is happening. I've done a factory reset, sorted out the lag but now my pc won't recognise the phone when connected by usb ! Tried various cables (all of which worked before).

I assume you have plugged the cable into the phone before plugging it into the PC

naepace2 h, 8 m ago

Yeah mate, that's exactly what is happening. I've done a factory reset, …Yeah mate, that's exactly what is happening. I've done a factory reset, sorted out the lag but now my pc won't recognise the phone when connected by usb ! Tried various cables (all of which worked before).

Try another pc to rule out bad drivers or port.

naepace2 h, 41 m ago

Does this help?

reddit.com/r/l…le/

Original Poster

chocci2 h, 36 m ago

I assume you have plugged the cable into the phone before plugging it into …I assume you have plugged the cable into the phone before plugging it into the PC

Tried all ways !

Original Poster

Muir1 h, 4 m ago

Does this …Does this help?https://www.reddit.com/r/lgg4/comments/3jbk6m/computer_cant_recognize_g4_usb_cable/

Thanks, I'd seen that page after 'googling' the problem. No joy. I'm gonna try removing the drivers from the PC and try installing them again. It's not a dead loss as I can connect wirelessly with 'Air Bridge'.

It's possible that the drivers are meant to work with a newer version of Android and your G4 hasn't updated yet since it was reset to factory settings?

Original Poster

Muir16 h, 56 m ago

It's possible that the drivers are meant to work with a newer version of …It's possible that the drivers are meant to work with a newer version of Android and your G4 hasn't updated yet since it was reset to factory settings?

Quite possible mate, it has never received an update. Still on 5.1. Update centre never found an update. When I had it repaired under warranty, they told me it was a European version, which I assume is responsible for that particular issue.

naepace21 m ago

Quite possible mate, it has never received an update. Still on 5.1. Update …Quite possible mate, it has never received an update. Still on 5.1. Update centre never found an update. When I had it repaired under warranty, they told me it was a European version, which I assume is responsible for that particular issue.

My g4 never got marshmallow automatically. I had to download and install it manually

Nougat is coming soon apparently
Edited by: "chocci" 30th Aug 2017

Original Poster

chocci3 h, 10 m ago

My g4 never got marshmallow automatically. I had to download and install …My g4 never got marshmallow automatically. I had to download and install it manuallyNougat is coming soon apparently

I tried that using the LG Bridge software on the pc but it always stated the phone was up to date, even though I knew it wasn't ! I could always root it I suppose....if I ever get the pc to recognise it.

Original Poster

Removing/uninstalling anything LG related did the trick. Now to root or not ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions