Time to upgrade PC, selling current setup?

Found 9th Feb
Saved up a few bob and now I want to upgrade to something a little more recent. But given the demise of honest people on ebay, I'm loathed to sell it on there, either in parts or as a single unit. So where would be the best place to sell it?

Trouble is, it isn't a typical PC system, it's a dual CPU machine, running Xeon E7-8890's.

Current spec's are as follows:

2x Intel Xeon E7-8890 V4 2.2GHz CPU
Supermicro x10 series motherboard
128GB ECC RAM
4x10TB western digital reds HDD
1x960GB sandisk plus SSD
1080Ti 11GB GPU
1000w seasonic PSU
Wrapped up in an old server case.

What kind of money am I looking at? Would it be best to part it out and sell individually? Or as a complete system?

Cheers
Community Updates
AskElectronics
13 Comments
Upgrade? Thats a hellova system you have there, somewhat OP to game thats for sure. I can only dream of such greatness! Is it even worth upgrading past what you got? Best place for a fair price if you were to sell it is over on reddit on HardwareSwapUK:

reddit.com/r/H…UK/

These guys will give you the best going rate. No under cutting / over pricing. it all fair!
Original Poster
It is a beast for sure, but it sucks power like Melissa Moore sucks.. aubergine. Each CPU draws 165w! Add in the GPU, HDD's, Fans etc, it's costing a fortune to run.

I'll check out reddit, cheers for the link.
Edited by: "BadMF" 9th Feb
BadMF4 m ago

It is a beast for sure, but it sucks power like Melissa Moore sucks.. …It is a beast for sure, but it sucks power like Melissa Moore sucks.. aubergine. Each CPU draws 165w! Add in the GPU, HDD's, Fans etc, it's costing a fortune to run.I'll check out reddit, cheers for the link.

good shout, yeah that is a power hungry beat! Honestly, I use it quite a bit for buying and selling and they are honest guess. They have a discord too.
now is not a great time to upgrade as RAM and GPU pricing is all over the place.
BadMF2 h, 21 m ago

It is a beast for sure, but it sucks power like Melissa Moore sucks.. …It is a beast for sure, but it sucks power like Melissa Moore sucks.. aubergine. Each CPU draws 165w! Add in the GPU, HDD's, Fans etc, it's costing a fortune to run.

That's a £15,000 system, I'm sure the electricity costs must be peanuts in comparison. £200 a year if you're really hammering it?
EndlessWaves43 m ago

That's a £15,000 system, I'm sure the electricity costs must be peanuts in …That's a £15,000 system, I'm sure the electricity costs must be peanuts in comparison. £200 a year if you're really hammering it?

I think this is a "Time to upgrade my Ferrari" type post.
Seriously?
I would just give it away as a prize on here to be honest
Original Poster
EndlessWaves18 h, 28 m ago

That's a £15,000 system, I'm sure the electricity costs must be peanuts in …That's a £15,000 system, I'm sure the electricity costs must be peanuts in comparison. £200 a year if you're really hammering it?

I seriously doubt it’s anywhere near that money, maybe £2,500/3,000 at a push.

MIDURIX17 h, 45 m ago

I think this is a "Time to upgrade my Ferrari" type post.

I don’t drive a Ferrari, I don’t have a small man complex.

Anyhoo, thanks for the input.
BadMF10 m ago

I seriously doubt it’s anywhere near that money, maybe £2,500/3,000 at a pu …I seriously doubt it’s anywhere near that money, maybe £2,500/3,000 at a push. I don’t drive a Ferrari, I don’t have a small man complex. Anyhoo, thanks for the input.

The two processors are worth that much. Are you being serious?
Edited by: "MIDURIX" 10th Feb
Original Poster
MIDURIX7 m ago

The two processors are worth that much. Are you being serious?

I paid £650 each for them about a year and a half ago, I can’t see the price going upwards, it was already old tech when I bought it.

ecc ram is a bit of a lottery to buy and sell.
Edited by: "BadMF" 10th Feb
BadMF1 h, 29 m ago

I paid £650 each for them about a year and a half ago, I can’t see the pr …I paid £650 each for them about a year and a half ago, I can’t see the price going upwards, it was already old tech when I bought it.ecc ram is a bit of a lottery to buy and sell.

The v4 (broadwell-EX) was brand new a year and a half ago, it released in June 2016.
Original Poster
EndlessWaves38 m ago

The v4 (broadwell-EX) was brand new a year and a half ago, it released in …The v4 (broadwell-EX) was brand new a year and a half ago, it released in June 2016.

Exactly, old tech. It's old before it goes to manufacturing. Guess I got a good deal then as I've just checked ebay prices. I did import them both from America though (and got stunk with import fee's which I wasn't bargaining on) so might be why it was a tad cheaper.

Plus these are engineering samples, not that I've tried pushing them or clocking them. Don't think the coolers would put up with the punishment.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants