Groups

Time to wake up Dignitas is a better option than living in a care home

For years I have thought that things would get better but its not, care is about profit not care.

53 Comments

Original Poster

inb4 not all homes are like this
    Edited by: "miles136" 22nd Nov 2016

Original Poster

I have told my sister if I ever need to go into care just let me take all my pills, this is a better way to go, no she would not be there so would not face prosecution
    Edited by: "miles136" 22nd Nov 2016

And I thought you were talking about an esports team.

miles136

I have told my sister if I ever need to go into care just let me take all … I have told my sister if I ever need to go into care just let me take all my pills, this is a better way to go, no she would not be there so would not face prosecution

That sounds a bit, well, overkill. Not all care homes are like that. If I became physically unable to look after myself, that doesn't mean that life couldn't still be enjoyed (especially with the ongoing developments in robotic care). Even if I developed dementia or the like I'd still want to stick around.

copperspock

That sounds a bit, well, overkill. Not all care homes are like that. If I … That sounds a bit, well, overkill. Not all care homes are like that. If I became physically unable to look after myself, that doesn't mean that life couldn't still be enjoyed (especially with the ongoing developments in robotic care). Even if I developed dementia or the like I'd still want to stick around.

Sounds OK til you know the reality = stick around for what? - getting your nappy changed when it it is your turn n the rota (psst if there is a rota )and eating pureed food because you have lost your swallowing mechanism - and the list goes on.

Original Poster

copperspock

That sounds a bit, well, overkill. Not all care homes are like that. If I … That sounds a bit, well, overkill. Not all care homes are like that. If I became physically unable to look after myself, that doesn't mean that life couldn't still be enjoyed (especially with the ongoing developments in robotic care). Even if I developed dementia or the like I'd still want to stick around.

you sure, have u seen the last stages of Dementia? believe me death is way better for you and your family

Well someone is chirpy this morning!

memmmememe

Sounds OK til you know the reality = stick around for what? - getting … Sounds OK til you know the reality = stick around for what? - getting your nappy changed when it it is your turn n the rota (psst if there is a rota )and eating pureed food because you have lost your swallowing mechanism - and the list goes on.

Stick around to enjoy as much of life as I could.

can I politely ask whether this is compatible with your faith?

copperspock

Stick around to enjoy as much of life as I could.

you wont know whether you are enjoying or not enjoying

davewave

What's that got to do with the price of butter? Clearly somebody who wants to control their own destiny should be allowed to do so.

memmmememe

What's that got to do with the price of butter? Clearly somebody who … What's that got to do with the price of butter? Clearly somebody who wants to control their own destiny should be allowed to do so.

for some, faith does matter, even if its not for you.

davewave

for some, faith does matter, even if its not for you.

Yes and they can decide for themselves and I can decide for myself.

miles136

you sure, have u seen the last stages of Dementia? believe me death is … you sure, have u seen the last stages of Dementia? believe me death is way better for you and your family

I said if I developed dementia. I didn't say I'd necessarily want to stick around until the final stages. People with the disease can live for a good few years.

memmmememe

Yes and they can decide for themselves and I can decide for myself.

Of course you can, you can even discuss your thoughts in a forum.
    It would be quiet in here if people here didn't discuss what they thought.

davewave

Of course you can, you can even discuss your thoughts in a forum. It … Of course you can, you can even discuss your thoughts in a forum. It would be quiet in here if people here didn't discuss what they thought.

Glad to see that whilst you may have a strong faith you also have an open mind.

copperspock

I said if I developed dementia. I didn't say I'd necessarily want to … I said if I developed dementia. I didn't say I'd necessarily want to stick around until the final stages. People with the disease can live for a good few years.

Ah now you are tweaking it Right so we need to decide WHEN to push that button lol

memmmememe

you wont know whether you are enjoying or not enjoying

That's not necessarily true. People with dementia (especially in the earlier stages) can still have periods of awareness. Even in the latter stages it's also still possible to enjoy things like music.

copperspock

That's not necessarily true. People with dementia (especially in the … That's not necessarily true. People with dementia (especially in the earlier stages) can still have periods of awareness. Even in the latter stages it's also still possible to enjoy things like music.

"possible" is the key word in what you have said above - for the majority sadly it is impossible.

Original Poster

davewave

no it is not

Original Poster

copperspock

I said if I developed dementia. I didn't say I'd necessarily want to … I said if I developed dementia. I didn't say I'd necessarily want to stick around until the final stages. People with the disease can live for a good few years.

yes they can, if you are one of the lucky ones another disease will get you first b4 the dementia really kicks in

Original Poster

copperspock

That's not necessarily true. People with dementia (especially in the … That's not necessarily true. People with dementia (especially in the earlier stages) can still have periods of awareness. Even in the latter stages it's also still possible to enjoy things like music.

that is true, but the other things are so bad by the time you get to stage 3 its time to go

memmmememe

Ah now you are tweaking it Right so we need to decide WHEN to push … Ah now you are tweaking it Right so we need to decide WHEN to push that button lol

I'm not tweaking anything, that was my original comment in case you didn't notice.

memmmememe

"possible" is the key word in what you have said above - for the majority … "possible" is the key word in what you have said above - for the majority sadly it is impossible.

Is it impossible for the majority? I'd genuinely like to know if you have the information.

The title is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe you'll say that you qualified it in post 2 threads like this give a distorted view of care homes.

copperspock

I'm not tweaking anything, that was my original comment in case you … I'm not tweaking anything, that was my original comment in case you didn't notice.Is it impossible for the majority? I'd genuinely like to know if you have the information.

My information is based on my experience of sitting for hours on end for years as a volunteer in various nursing homes handing out plastic mugs of luke warm tea to residents - that is where proper "information" is gathered.

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

The title is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe you'll say that you qualified … The title is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe you'll say that you qualified it in post 2 threads like this give a distorted view of care homes.

Believe me itbis not distorted

My motto is 'live fast die young'.

If you think about that's all we are designed to do. Only modern tech is helping people live longer but whats the point if you die unhappy/demented ?

So everyone is up in arms again.
    Whenever I see articles about abuse in nursing home, it saddens me. However, you can't write them off.

The care homes I know of take residents on holidays, to the pub for a drink, get home cooked (fresh ingredient) meals, one to one care, get to do all the things that make them happy despite a lot of their families offering no love, money or visitation and the staff work extremely hard to be able to do this because it's not a profitable business.

You need to be an exceptional person to be able to give the amount of care and love that a lot of care home staff do, while working your behind off while having everyone assume you go around beating up old or disabled people all day.

Having experience of losing someone with MS and dementia I agree that if given the opportunity a quick end would be preferential to the ongoing suffering of both the dementia suffer and those close
    The worst part of all this is that if you are rich and wealthy then your options would be totally different but if you are working class and below and you are stuck with the involvement of the gestapo (Social Services) and irresponsible care providers (only in it for the profit) you don't get to make those decisions because the gestapo make them for you.

Some people need to get off their high horse and see the reality rather than think every "story" is just hearsay

drasim

So everyone is up in arms again.Whenever I see articles about abuse in … So everyone is up in arms again.Whenever I see articles about abuse in nursing home, it saddens me. However, you can't write them off.The care homes I know of take residents on holidays, to the pub for a drink, get home cooked (fresh ingredient) meals, one to one care, get to do all the things that make them happy despite a lot of their families offering no love, money or visitation and the staff work extremely hard to be able to do this because it's not a profitable business.You need to be an exceptional person to be able to give the amount of care and love that a lot of care home staff do, while working your behind off while having everyone assume you go around beating up old or disabled people all day.

Oh please don't get it wrong - my aim is not to criticise care home staff - my stance is that Dignitas is the way forward

memmmememe

My information is based on my experience of sitting for hours on end for … My information is based on my experience of sitting for hours on end for years as a volunteer in various nursing homes handing out plastic mugs of luke warm tea to residents - that is where proper "information" is gathered.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm sceptical. I'd regard 'proper information' as being more objective, seeing as it's not possible for a normal observer to tell for certain that a person is unable to recognise and enjoy a stimulus like music.

memmmememe

Dignitas is the way forward

Isn't it the dead end?

Edited by: "Predikuesi" 22nd Nov 2016

memmmememe

Oh please don't get it wrong - my aim is not to criticise care home staff … Oh please don't get it wrong - my aim is not to criticise care home staff - my stance is that Dignitas is the way forward

My apologies - not aimed at anyone specifically, just here to debunk the usual theories that care homes make £££ and staff don't care.

drasim

My apologies - not aimed at anyone specifically, just here to debunk the … My apologies - not aimed at anyone specifically, just here to debunk the usual theories that care homes make £££ and staff don't care.

Oh there are plenty of good decent folk out there who work in nursing homes - people who cry when the old folks are poorly and then die.

Predikuesi

Isn't it the dead end?

The only way is up - Annie Lennox

memmmememe

The only way is up - Annie Lennox

Oh I'm sure there are some on here going to a warmer climate

memmmememe

Oh there are plenty of good decent folk out there who work in nursing … Oh there are plenty of good decent folk out there who work in nursing homes - people who cry when the old folks are poorly and then die.

A bit morbid but my theory on staff behaviour around death is you become desensitised in homes whose purpose are to look after people who are at the end of life - therefore having a high turnover of residents.

copperspock

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm sceptical. I'd regard 'proper … I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I'm sceptical. I'd regard 'proper information' as being more objective, seeing as it's not possible for a normal observer to tell for certain that a person is unable to recognise and enjoy a stimulus like music.

Talk to a perfectly balanced sample of professional staff who work in cares homes then to get their view - that would be a good way of gathering information

drasim

A bit morbid but my theory on staff behaviour around death is you become … A bit morbid but my theory on staff behaviour around death is you become desensitised in homes whose purpose are to look after people who are at the end of life - therefore having a high turnover of residents.

Staff do become attached to people they have seen every day for years - they do have hearts
    Edited by: "memmmememe" 22nd Nov 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best VR games?22
      2. What to do?????23
      3. Virgin Media Superhub 3 Settings55
      4. Good Sim only deals??611

See more discussions