Time Travel

Found 28th Oct 2008
If you could go back in time to the day you met your partner..would you go and meet them or would you stay in and watch TV

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
40 Comments

hehehehe gosh what a interesting topic.....

I can't answer coz I'd met him a few times as he's a friends brother, before he came and worked in the same place as me and we worked together... so I'm sure I'd have met him if I stayed in that first time or not!!

The first time we met me and his sister were 15 and I was going to her house for the first time and he was 10 hehe.... Second time was at his sisters wedding 4 years ago. Then he started working alongside me 3 years ago, and we got together 2 years ago! :lol:

hehehehe gosh what a interesting topic.....

I can't answer coz I'd met him a few times as he's a friends brother, before he came and worked in the same place as me and we worked together... so I'm sure I'd have met him if I stayed in that first time or not!!

The first time we met me and his sister were 15 and I was going to her house for the first time and he was 10 hehe.... Second time was at his sisters wedding 4 years ago. Then he started working alongside me 3 years ago, and we got together 2 years ago! :lol: I'm 27 and he's 22 now.

yes i would, i love my fiance so much and fancy him even more then when we first met x x x

Banned

Surely by going back in time to meet them you would change the events at the time and could change the outcome of the future, therefore you may never have got together....

simple........stay in

starsparkle2311;3309665

lol classic, did you go back in time just then and re-post your comment?:p

I MUSTVE done!!!

I thought I edited to add our ages now... hehe...

must've been time travel!!

I'd definitely go back - I met my oh at school, so if I stayed at home I'd be in trouble for skipping school!

go and meet him

Banned

ODB_69;3309704

Surely by going back in time to meet them you would change the events at … Surely by going back in time to meet them you would change the events at the time and could change the outcome of the future, therefore you may never have got together....

has no one thought about this causing a Temporal Paradox????:?

This reminds me of an episode of family guy called meet the Quagmires - Where Pete got death to take him to the past where he met louis, he didn't take her to the movies, so Louis marries Quagmire lol

I'm going to be sad and say that my fiance Frank is the best thing that ever happened to me and If I had to do that day all over again I would defo meet up with him again! Love him to bits..... pass the sick bucket lol

Hmmmm.....interesting question, think i would have to say yes.

Now, how about everyones partners? what do you think your partner would say about getting the chance to do it again with you, what would they do?

ODB_69;3309978

has no one thought about this causing a Temporal Paradox????:?

This is all back to the future.... cool Dr Emit Brown I persume lol :thumbsup:

No, because you'd screw up the relationship and it then wouldn't happen.

You'd go back with all the knowledge of your time together and your (future) partner would have none, it wouldn't work (apart from time travel being a bit iffy any way, and let not get into the many worlds theory).

I would suggest reading a book called 'Repay' for a good example of how this would (or wouldn't work).

If i built a time machine then my wife would have helped me to build it, so if i went back in time and didn't meet my wife then i couldn't build the time machine

Which means i couldn't go back in time and not meet my wife, which means i would meet my wife

Which means i would build the time machine and go back in time and not meet my wife

Which means i wouldn't build a time machine........

My head hurts

sancho1983;3310315

If i built a time machine then my wife would have helped me to build it, … If i built a time machine then my wife would have helped me to build it, so if i went back in time and didn't meet my wife then i couldn't build the time machineWhich means i couldn't go back in time and not meet my wife, which means i would meet my wifeWhich means i would build the time machine and go back in time and not meet my wifeWhich means i wouldn't build a time machine........My head hurts

Welcome the wonderful world of temporal paradox. . .

steve1221;3310379

Welcome the wonderful world of temporal paradox. . .

How do you know for sure your (ex) partner hasn't already ( built the time machine, gone back to your first meeting) and decided not to bother?

It just got more interesting! :thumbsup:

Ok, are we saying that its the model of the universe where time travel exists and when you go back and change something the universe conforms to the new timeline, Or are we saying that we're using the many worlds interpretation?
Because if it's the many worlds version than each time you go back a new universe is created and you have no way to get back to your 'original timeline' as when you travel forward again your travel forward in the new timeline...

tough one!!

steve1221;3310450

Ok, are we saying that its the model of the universe where time travel … Ok, are we saying that its the model of the universe where time travel exists and when you go back and change something the universe conforms to the new timeline, Or are we saying that we're using the many worlds interpretation? Because if it's the many worlds version than each time you go back a new universe is created and you have no way to get back to your 'original timeline' as when you travel forward again your travel forward in the new timeline...

Think it has to be the model universe which changes as the time line changes, :thinking:

id meet them... but if it means ive gone back as who i am now, things would be alot diff anyway. If you mean go back as the person you were and still meet them, i would.. i guess nothing would change either way. Thats the funny thing.

:? - to all the above

Yep...Its just I would know what bits I would like to change..things I should have done and didnt/or vice versa.

Handy thing to have. I would settle for a groundhog day though!:-D

Rockhound;3310643

Handy thing to have. I would settle for a groundhog day though!:-D

that would really really depend on the day! .. if you didnt get to choose.. no way

If you could go back in time for just one day in your life for a 24 hour period what would you do?

For example: to change something, to see someone, to experience something again.

ifyoudontask?;3310704

If you could go back in time for just one day in your life for a 24 hour … If you could go back in time for just one day in your life for a 24 hour period what would you do?For example: to change something, to see someone, to experience something again.

i cant change owt, i still know.. so wouldnt be of any use to me. Id only be able to do trivial stuff... which i cant think of anything, so no point?

MissRoo;3310729

i cant change owt, i still know.. so wouldnt be of any use to me. Id only … i cant change owt, i still know.. so wouldnt be of any use to me. Id only be able to do trivial stuff... which i cant think of anything, so no point?

How about something like spending a fav birthday with someone again, seeing a relative again, changing a decision you may have made, preventing a terrible disaster or giving some information to someone?

ifyoudontask?;3310768

How about something like spending a fav birthday with someone again, … How about something like spending a fav birthday with someone again, seeing a relative again, changing a decision you may have made, preventing a terrible disaster or giving some information to someone?

yeh but the thing is trivial decisions, meh .. im not bothered, to prevent a terribe disaster id have to know about it to prevent.. but id want to go back to not remember...n id only do it all again (did that make sense :? ) so unless... i cud do something to make me not do that day....ever, even if i was about to, something made me stop .... then i wouldnt bother. Ive had good days yeh, bt atm i cant think of one id do all over again.

steve1221;3310450

Ok, are we saying that its the model of the universe where time travel … Ok, are we saying that its the model of the universe where time travel exists and when you go back and change something the universe conforms to the new timeline, Or are we saying that we're using the many worlds interpretation? Because if it's the many worlds version than each time you go back a new universe is created and you have no way to get back to your 'original timeline' as when you travel forward again your travel forward in the new timeline...

If it's where one world exists then if you went back in time say two days, shaved your own hair off what would happen? Would you immedietely become bald? or would there be a you who is bald and you who has a full head of hair?

My head still hurts

MissRoo;3310799

yeh but the thing is trivial decisions, meh .. im not bothered, to … yeh but the thing is trivial decisions, meh .. im not bothered, to prevent a terribe disaster id have to know about it to prevent.. but id want to go back to not remember...n id only do it all again (did that make sense :? ) so unless... i cud do something to make me not do that day....ever, even if i was about to, something made me stop .... then i wouldnt bother. Ive had good days yeh, bt atm i cant think of one id do all over again.

How about, in a few years time you invent a time machine and decide to go back in time to, for example, prevent JFK being shot, but while you're there Oswald has decided not to shoot him, but because you appear he freaks out and shoot Kennedy, in other words JFK was only shot because you went back in time :thinking:

Ok, i really need to stop thinking about this!

sancho1983;3310825

How about, in a few years time you invent a time machine and decide to go … How about, in a few years time you invent a time machine and decide to go back in time to, for example, prevent JFK being shot, but while you're there Oswald has decided not to shoot him, but because you appear he freaks out and shoot Kennedy, in other words JFK was only shot because you went back in time :thinking:Ok, i really need to stop thinking about this!

exactly... butterfly effect. Even if i did go back.. it wouldnt be perfect or sorted or stopped or carried on, or whatever... something else would take its place.

That's not really the butterfly effect, as i understand it that's where you go back in time and do something small, which dramatically effects the future. Whereas my scenario relied on the fact that you would eventually invent a time machine in order to go back and freak out oswald enough to actually shoot kennedy

sancho1983;3310867

That's not really the butterfly effect, as i understand it that's where … That's not really the butterfly effect, as i understand it that's where you go back in time and do something small, which dramatically effects the future. Whereas my scenario relied on the fact that you would eventually invent a time machine in order to go back and freak out oswald enough to actually shoot kennedy

still doing something diff tho, which in turn does something different..
freaking him out, like in your scenario is doing something diff.... is that what your thinking of doing if u invent a time machine? :?

no, if i invent a time machine i will come back to this exact time and switch off my pc.

That hasn't happened, so i guess i don't invent one

sancho1983;3310910

no, if i invent a time machine i will come back to this exact time and … no, if i invent a time machine i will come back to this exact time and switch off my pc. That hasn't happened, so i guess i don't invent one

:lol:

Go back on a Saturday night just after a Lotto triple rollover about 3 hours and then you'd have enough money to built your time machine... ahh, I see the fault with that now.. ;-)

sancho1983;3310867

That's not really the butterfly effect, as i understand it that's where … That's not really the butterfly effect, as i understand it that's where you go back in time and do something small, which dramatically effects the future. Whereas my scenario relied on the fact that you would eventually invent a time machine in order to go back and freak out oswald enough to actually shoot kennedy

That's the 'whatever you do, you did so nothing changes' approach (ok, I can't remember the real name, I admit it).
The other is the 'self correcting' model, so in the Kennedy example, if you went back and stopped Oswald someone else would still shoot Kennedy because time has an inertia and will always snap back to the pattern. ie self correct (also known as the 'you can't ****** up the time line theory').

That's ridiculous, so if you go back in time and do anything it wouldn't matter because life would plan out as it was anyway.

I don't think you guys understand what i mean, in my example Oswald only shot kennedy because i went back in time, if i hadn't gone back in time then he never would have shot him.

Found something about it, it has a name!!! Predestination Paradox

en.wikipedia.org/wik…dox

"A man travels back in time to discover the cause of a famous fire. While in the building where the fire started, he accidentally knocks over a kerosene lantern and causes a fire, the same fire that would inspire him, years later, to travel back in time."

steve1221;3311982

That's the 'whatever you do, you did so nothing changes' approach (ok, I … That's the 'whatever you do, you did so nothing changes' approach (ok, I can't remember the real name, I admit it).The other is the 'self correcting' model, so in the Kennedy example, if you went back and stopped Oswald someone else would still shoot Kennedy because time has an inertia and will always snap back to the pattern. ie self correct (also known as the 'you can't ****** up the time line theory').

So are you saying Dr. Sam Becketts Quantum Leap project is flawed? :thinking:

id go back and do it again. wouldnt have my kids otherwise. even go through all the hell of the first two years again if that what it took to get us to where we are now. a happycouple and a happy family

i always say that id go back and bring back my son to the now before he died. that way id have my kids ive had since and also have my son. or id go forward in time and have him cloned, he was only three weeks old, so my partner said he'd be happy to raise his clone as his own too.

oh the possibilities
Post a comment
@
    Text