Timed bathroom fan help

Posted 28th Nov
Hi

I attempted to fit a timed bathroom fan, its a mf100T. I have followed this video to T

My pull cord currently only has twin & earth with the neutral to com & the live to L1.

3347280.jpg

On the video, at 7 minutes in. He seems to have two lots of twin and earth coming into his pull cord. He says to clip both your neutrals. Put your switched live to L1 & then your live to com. I tried this and the result was my downlights started flickering & I went and checked on the manrose fan, which wasn’t running but had a electrical hum to it.

The manual does detail that you ought to put a fcu with a 3amp fuse. However, this link convinced me otherwise where it the first response says it’s not necessary

community.screwfix.com/thr…70/

So where I am at now is I’m not sure whether I do need to 3amp fuse & this is why I am experiencing what I tried above. Or is his way of wiring up doesn’t suit the wiring of my pull cord. I have noticed that the wiring of my pull cord (picture above) seems quite thick more like 2.5mm twin and earth which I find a bit strange for a lighting circuit. The circuit breaker on the consumer board is serving this bathroom and two other bedrooms, which all have led lighting. So I feel it can’t be to much load on the circuit

3347280.jpg

I’m not an electrician. But I have been successful doing fused socket spurs & replacing circuit breakers. I’m very safety conscious when working with electric. Would really appreciate any help you can give with putting me straight.
Big thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

8 Comments
Any fan with a run on timer needs to have a means of isolation, i.e a fan isolator, in case of a fault causing the motor to burn out, without which you have no way of turning the fan off in an emergency.

You don’t have a neutral cable in your switch. It’s a switch live with no phase indication on it.

The reason it’s 2.5mm is likely because it was fitted by someone who doesn’t know what they are doing, hence the lack of brown sleeving.

Your lights were likely flickering because you disconnected your neutral connection, LED lights will do that, but the fan motor won’t work without one.
Have you opened your light in the bathroom, it may be the point you need to run the fan from depending on how your circuit is wired.
Hi yes the fan is going into a triple pole isolator. The image I attached is the of the pull cord and would be where the fan runs from.
39166790-0aQyK.jpg
I suppose the easiest way to put it. At the pull cord I only have one neutral and one live wires. How am I to wire up a three core cable from a triple pole isolator with neutral, live & switch live from the triple pole isolator to the pull cord?
It's not a 'neutral' on the pulled switch - one side is a permanent live (probably the brown but not certainly) and the other side is a switched live.
Van197328/11/2019 22:08

It's not a 'neutral' on the pulled switch - one side is a permanent live …It's not a 'neutral' on the pulled switch - one side is a permanent live (probably the brown but not certainly) and the other side is a switched live.

Yes I have began to realise that as I am reading around. This diagram is the closest I am getting to solving this. A being switched live, B being permanent live C being neutral. However neutral will just be on its own within the pull cord with no terminal to screw it into....

39169708-SKdRy.jpg
The wires to the switch are earth, live and switched live. The switch cable and the mains supply cable and feed to the next light (if any) typically run to the ceiling rose, which is where you would run the cable from to the 3 pole fan isolator switch and one on from the isolator to the fan. The isolator switch should be mnounted outside the bathroom.

39169895-im84N.jpg
Edited by: "melted" 28th Nov
louiearch930928/11/2019 21:29

I suppose the easiest way to put it. At the pull cord I only have one …I suppose the easiest way to put it. At the pull cord I only have one neutral and one live wires. How am I to wire up a three core cable from a triple pole isolator with neutral, live & switch live from the triple pole isolator to the pull cord?

So you only have one twin and earth cable entering the pull-cord? In that case, your light will possibly have the connections you need as you likely have 3 plate style wiring. The live and neutral terminals connected to the light fitting itself will be some of the terminals you're after for the fan (s/w live and N), and you'll hopefully have a permanent live in it too, probably in a connector.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions