Timehop app Hack, 21m users possibly affected

Found 9th Jul
Figured I'd share this as I know a lot of people that use it. Keep an eye out for any suspicious emails / texts.

2979815-qQzME.jpg(via The Sun)

Hackers were given access to email addresses, telephone numbers and 'tokens' which give access to posting on your social media. The attack involved a hacker gaining control over a Timehop admin account, giving them access to sensitive user data.

"On July 4, 2018, Timehop experienced a network intrusion that led to a breach of some of your data," said a Timehop representative.

"We learned of the breach while it was still in progress, and were able to interrupt it, but data was taken.

"While our investigation into this incident (and the possibility of any earlier ones that may have occurred) continues, we are writing to provide our users and partners with all the relevant information as quickly as possible."

Timehop said there's no proof any of the stolen info has been used yet, but that it's "likely" your details will soon end up on the dark web.

"We have no evidence that the data has been used," the company explained.

"All the access keys have been de-authorized and cannot be used. Timehop has retained the services of a well established cyber threat intelligence company that has been seeking evidence of use of the email addresses, phone numbers, and names of users, and while none have appeared to date, it is a high likelihood that they soon will appear in forums and be included in lists that circulate on the Internet and the Dark Web."

Timehop has been very clear that none of your "memories" – old social media posts – were accessed directly.

But hackers were able to steal "tokens" that give indirect access to your social media accounts, although these access keys have since been de-authorised.

Timehop are now working with authorities to discover who stole user data.

Community Updates
Misc
2 Comments
Stealing people’s memories. I’ve got some horrid memories even the hackers wouldn’t want to see
The hell is timehop?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants