Posted 20th Dec 2021 (Posted 12 h, 0 m ago)
Does anyone know how much they charge to change the blade and put a new battery in a car key fob….

my battery disconnected in my car earlier tonight and I couldn’t get into my car using the key in drivers door and the blade of the fob looks bent so presuming this is why, husband key to car managed to open the door so could pop the hood and push the connector back down onto the battery and then the buttons on my fob and the power in my car came back to life…. So I’m thinking this may happen again so I need to fix my fob as won’t be able to get my car into the garage this side of christ
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
12 Comments
  1. Avatar
    So, you got locked out because a terminal on the car battery came off? Sounds like you need to fix the terminal on the battery first. Do you have the correct battery for the car? Are the connectors on the terminals the right way up? (Not so daft a question, as some battery terminals are tapered, with a corresponding taper on the cable connector. If it's on upside down, the taper will force the lead off the terminal).
    As for Timpsons...I needed a key for my car, it was half the price to get a mobile locksmith to come to my house and do it and the service was fantastic. Didn't leave until the key slid in like a hot knife through butter. No rough edges etc, which many places don't bother sorting.
    Edited by: "Ringfinger" 11 h, 24 m ago
  2. Avatar
    Author
    Ringfinger21/12/2021 00:11

So, you got locked out because a terminal on the car battery came off? …So, you got locked out because a terminal on the car battery came off? Sounds like you need to fix the terminal on the battery first. Do you have the correct battery for the car? Are the connectors on the terminals the right way up? (Not so daft a question, as some battery terminals are tapered, with a corresponding taper on the cable connector. If it's on upside down, the taper will force the lead off the terminal).As for Timpsons...I needed a key for my car, it was half the price to get a mobile locksmith to come to my house and do it and the service was fantastic. Didn't leave until the key slid in like a hot knife through butter. No rough edges etc, which many places don't bother sorting.

The terminal popped off, it’s the correct battery and never had this issue before, but my key is bent so does need replacing.

How much did the mobile person charge you ?
  3. Avatar
    Hiya. It was about £50 for me. For a new battery case and fixing the old key in place. Bit pricey but does come with 12 months warranty.
    Edited by: "Ohnoimbroke" 11 h, 10 m ago
  4. Avatar
    Author
    Thank you
  5. Avatar
    You'd probably benefit from greater value putting that £50 towards fixing the device you used to post this thread.
  6. Avatar
    Author
    AndyRoyd21/12/2021 01:50

You'd probably benefit from greater value putting that £50 towards fixing …You'd probably benefit from greater value putting that £50 towards fixing the device you used to post this thread.

What are you on about ???
  7. Avatar
    Author
    AndyRoyd21/12/2021 01:52

I'm inclined to ask same of OP.

What has my phone got to do with fixing and replacing my key fob…. 2am and your trolling, sad life you must have and yes I am awake as well because I had a migraine attack earlier and the meds I take knock me and I got woken up after about an hour and now I can’t sleep, that’s why I’m awake at 2am.
  8. Avatar
    If it is just the key 'blade' that is bent, why not try a friendly local locksmith or garage, and see if they can gently bend the key back straight in a vice ?
  9. Avatar
    Author
    Bikertov21/12/2021 10:27

If it is just the key 'blade' that is bent, why not try a friendly local …If it is just the key 'blade' that is bent, why not try a friendly local locksmith or garage, and see if they can gently bend the key back straight in a vice ?

Thank you, I only asked about timpson as it’s literally round the corner from my house at sainsbury and I know locksmith are really expensive as the barrel broke in our front door and ended up costing us like £300 to be able to get into our house
  10. Avatar
    Changing a broken lock can be expensive, as you have a callout and then to get it open first without doing damage.

Straightening a bent key in a shop should be quite easy and they might not even charge !
  11. Avatar
    you can replace the battery in the key fob yourself. just google some videos on how to do so on youtube for the make and model of your car, then get the correct battery.

the key being bent, as others have suggested, may be worth going to a locksmith and ask. they may not charge much to straighten it for you and they have the tools to do this. the £300 to break into your house is different. this is why i am learning to break in myself as it costs too much to get other people to do it for you
Post a comment
Top Merchants