Expired

Tiny black flies

Found 20th Aug 2014
Been noticing teeny weeny little black flies floating around the house lately. More noticable in the summer. Often find dead ones on the window sils. I thought they were fruit flies but after googling, they look too big. These are really small. Does anyone know what I can do to grt rid of them? If your fast you can often clap 'n' catch! Got to be quick tho!
Many thanks x
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Original Poster
Just noticed this.
Im wondering if they are coming from the plants/bushes right outside of the windows in the kitchen & dining room. We have an air vent and often have the windows open. We do have a fruit bowl on the table (been nice and full thanks to Morrisons;-) ) but Ive not seen any hovering around that.
Just a thought but when we had them bad once it was because there was a rotting potato at the back of a cupboard! Took several days to realise. Check your cupboards!
Original Poster
rugbymike

Just a thought but when we had them bad once it was because there was a … Just a thought but when we had them bad once it was because there was a rotting potato at the back of a cupboard! Took several days to realise. Check your cupboards!

I noticed it last year but its worse this year. No spuds been there that long (I hope not anyway!) X)
Angel_Of_The_North

I noticed it last year but its worse this year. No spuds been there that … I noticed it last year but its worse this year. No spuds been there that long (I hope not anyway!) X)

Just me with rotting food in the house then....:|
Angel_Of_The_North

Does anyone know what I can do to grt rid of them?

with this
I have a problem with them too. I use a mesh net up at the window which has been great
Original Poster
bargainBooze

with this

Are they attracted to it? How does it work? xx
Original Poster
Actually, forget above post, just read this:

The flying insect killer is suitable for your Home, Factories, Farms, Restaurants, Hospitals, Offices and more.
The device is designed to attract insects with a special light and then dispose of them. Easy to install and clean.

No chemical, no fumes, no smell, no sprays and no mess!

Specification:
Power - 3W
Lamp lifespan - 2000 hours
CE Approved/RoHS compliant
110V-240V - 50Hz/60Hz
Product Dimension - 10CM X 20CM
UK Main cable length - 1.30 Meter

thunderbugs - don't kill the spiders and they will catch a load in the webs.
Edited by: "t3rm3y" 20th Aug 2014
Original Poster
t3rm3y

thunderbugs - don't kill the spiders and they will catch a load in the … thunderbugs - don't kill the spiders and they will catch a load in the webs.

They dont look like thunderbugs.
I've noticed a few in my house. We have a plant on the kitchen windowsill and they seem to be attracted to that. Have you got any plants inside your house?
Original Poster
Rhianne

I've noticed a few in my house. We have a plant on the kitchen windowsill … I've noticed a few in my house. We have a plant on the kitchen windowsill and they seem to be attracted to that. Have you got any plants inside your house?

No none, I always end up killing them! There are bushes right outside of the kitchen window, right next to an air vent. Im wondering if they are getting in through that.
It can be a number f things from overwatered house plants as they like moisture, to over ripen fruits or end of life bouquet of flowers, etc.

Get rid of the cause and few days later the flies will also go away.
Original Poster
Ive looked all over, theres nothing like that in here. Its so annoying.
Look up carpet beetle of fur beetle is it a type of one of those? The small plain brown ones fly around quite slowly
I think it is just one of those things, a pest that comes from somewhere, for some reason, but you cannot figure out why.

I get them regularly and I do not have any plants or fruit kicking about the house. If I buy fruit I tend to eat it all in one day...oO

What does my head in is that they seem to be the kind that originated in your house and never came from outside, so I am guessing they hatched in the house, so something must be laying the eggs.

I clean the house from top to bottom week in week out so there is nothing to attract them really. However I do tend to see them in kitchen more often than not if I do not empty the bin regularly.

I used to think they were fruit flies, but not so sure now.

Original Poster
Nic1984

Look up carpet beetle of fur beetle is it a type of one of those? The … Look up carpet beetle of fur beetle is it a type of one of those? The small plain brown ones fly around quite slowly

No its not like them. They do fly slowly tho!
Compost gnats.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants