Groups

Tip for backing up files on your laptop

I have been using this method of backing up files on my laptop for over a year, and it has been a life saver. I have put the info as an image in the next post.

8 Comments

Original Poster

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2008-3/1301168/PCMCIA.jpg

There are many different ways to back up files (some cheaper, some more expensive); to name a few:

Online file storage
    USB memory sticks
    External Hard drives
    Other laptops/PCs (via network or direct connection)
    Email account

The option chosen depends on:

1. Size of file/s to be backed up
    2. Price - what peripheral/s can you afford?

Original Poster

cis_groupie;2335646

There are many different ways to back up files (some cheaper, some more … There are many different ways to back up files (some cheaper, some more expensive); to name a few:Online file storageUSB memory sticksExternal Hard drivesOther laptops/PCs (via network or direct connection)Email accountThe option chosen depends on:1. Size of file/s to be backed up2. Price - what peripheral/s can you afford?

True. But you need to remember to do this and / or be connected to the internet.

It is a nice idea for a non critical backup, but for a proper backup, you should have the data stored somewhere else.

What happens if your lose your laptop.

I would say use this method in combination with another backup system

2GB isn't going to be big enough backup space for many people. I use a pair of external hard drives (kept in different locations) and Microsoft's free Synctoy.

John

Johnmcl7;2336265

2GB isn't going to be big enough backup space for many people. I use a … 2GB isn't going to be big enough backup space for many people. I use a pair of external hard drives (kept in different locations) and Microsoft's free Synctoy.John

this might help me, you got a link to synctoy?

Its a good idea to setup a gmail account or similar and periodically email yourself an archive (zip file) of really important documents - its a free and effective way of having an small but useful off-site backup ;-)

amansk;2336448

this might help me, you got a link to synctoy?

Sure:

microsoft.com/dow…=en

It works by setting up folder pairs, you define the action you want between them when they are synced. So for example I have a pair set up with my pictures on the local drive on the left and the same folder on my external drive for the right, Synctoy is set to contribute from left to right so I don't need to worry about it deleting or changing the original pictures. I also have a similar one set up from right to left if I need to do a restore from my external drive. Synctoy will create directories as required and also update files, you can set exclusions if there's some items within the folder set you don't want copied.

It's a very simple program which makes it quick and simple to use, additionally you can preview the changes to see what it's actually going to do and untick any you don't want to be changed.

John
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. RIP DOCTOR WHO710
      2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial1218
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?67
      4. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…1430

See more discussions