TIP: Windows 10 Home / Pro Users - How to make more space on your SSD / M.2 SSD / mSATA / Mechanical eSATA Hard Drives!

Found 10th May
Posted this reply in one of the hukd 120GB Integral SSD threads here, thought it *may* help others to release some hidden / wasted / not needed GB's of SSD space that windows tends to sap from your storage without telling you!

☼☼☼☼☼

It is a funny old world when it comes to bits & bytes & burgers when it comes to anything computa!

The other "used" chuck will be the windows hibernation reserve and the previous shadow copies of the OS ((regardless of if it is dragged over / cloned / cluster by cluster from an old drive)) on new install.

Best way to get shot and release the space is open a dos command prompt as administrator level ((type cmd in your windows search box on taskbar, right click the black run dos icon for those not aware of where it is)) and remove the 6gb-21gb+ hidden hibernation junk by running the command:

powercfg.exe /h off

((To switch it back on, same command but with "on" replacing the "off" text))

All this is doing is NOT saving all the rubbish and junk from your daily "use" of any windows OS computer.

Next type in "disk clean-up" into your windows search box on the task bar, when it finds the program, right click it and "add it to your task bar" then once it is there, right click it and "run it as admin" to start the extra space on your ssd / hard drives routine..

Click "more options" and then "clean up" on the shadow copies option:

This should only take about 10-20secs depending on size of drive / drives space...

Once it has done ((there is no message it just flashes once)) then click back to the "disk clean-up" tab and then actually run the windows inbuilt rubbish remover, by clicking "ok" on the main screen, ensure ALL the options of rubbish removal are checked, you may have to scroll down using the little scroll bar to see them all to check all are enabled BEFORE you click "ok"

A windows os alert box will pop up and show a progress of items being cleaned from the list, this will then disappear as soon as it has all been dumped, this may take a while, some computers have up to "70GB+" in this section, as it is something that never ever gets actioned by most users, in the life of their computa use!

Restart your windows machine as normal after this ((it might take a while to start OR it will be instant as it should be with an SSD!)

Now grab a program called "ccleaner" and install it and run as "admin" ((same thing as above, right click icon to run as admin)) once running, go to options, settings, advanced and set the following:

Then options, settings set the following:

Then options, monitoring, turn off both "enable system monitoring" & "enable active monitoring"

Then click the "broom" icon, check ALL the options on both the windows & applications but NOT the very last option of "wipe free space" under windows tab.

Run ccleaner once ((the first time, regardless of new ssd / cloned drive might take a while)) and then click the "registry" icon under the broom icon on the left, run it once and then "remove all the registry errors" it finds.

>> Once done restart your windows machine as normal << ((again this MAY take a while!))

Once rebooted to windows, run ccleaner again, remove all the rubbish it finds from the reboot as above.

Now do a windows new restore point ((so you have a reference point that works to go back to)) *optional

You will now have "X" more GB in space free on the drive and it will be as it should have been prior to cloning all the old rubbish off the OS that was transferred / cloned over by using the byte by byte programs!

This method will make any windows OS machine fly, old or new and if the boot SSD drive was chugging along, it will not now, the average windows 10 home/pro space used should be 22 > 33GB only, that is all that should be on the Integral 120gb drive, plus any stuff you may have transferred across

Rinse and repeat with "disk clean-up" & "ccleaner" say once a week / fortnight to keep all the precious SSD space free of all the rubbish that everyone has no idea is being put on their drives, every visit to the WWW!

This method also removes another hidden 2 part chuck of rubbish that all windows versions keeps, in 2 x 500gb ((ish)) dump files, again, 1GB you do not need to keep and will not ever use!

** This is something we do & is not meant to replace anyone's prior knowledge or opinions of how to be an IT windows PC expert!

☼☼☼☼☼

Think of anything else, will add it, if anyone else has anymore tips, advice for all the not so tech techies here on hukd, feel free to help with a comment!
Community Updates
4 Comments
I'd recommend a clean install and not cloning, if you've the time to do it.
But that's just my opinion. Each to their own etc.

Queue the hate messages
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell24 m ago

I'd recommend a clean install and not cloning, if you've the time to do …I'd recommend a clean install and not cloning, if you've the time to do it. But that's just my opinion. Each to their own etc.Queue the hate messages

No hate here Derek!!!

The clean install method is like Marmite, you either love it and do it, or you hate it and suffer later!!!!

Not sure why anyone spending hard earned £ on a new SSD ((any variation!)) would want to drag over years, if not decades of old junk and rubbish that is never used or has not even been looked at, when a clean install + copy your files you want over at a later date option is available to all and most of the time, is faster and easier than cloning or duplicating a 3> year old OS!!

Anyway, fab tip and lets hope all those buying a new SSD to speed up their slow-boats-to-richmond machines do a usb ISO install with a direct FREE download from Microsift
Was going to mention powercfg but then I found it was the first thing you said, I thought it was powercfg -h off ? Perhaps both work?

If you have really low space like 32G and have a micro sd slot you could possibily make the swap file a fixed size and put it on the micro sd? Not tried it before though.
Zek14 m ago

Was going to mention powercfg but then I found it was the first thing you …Was going to mention powercfg but then I found it was the first thing you said, I thought it was powercfg -h off ? Perhaps both work?If you have really low space like 32G and have a micro sd slot you could possibily make the swap file a fixed size and put it on the micro sd? Not tried it before though.

Both variations of the command will work, the .exe bit is to help on earlier versions via the command run, they both do the same thing, so thank you for pointing it out @Zek I have added it to the OP info.

The swap file idea will work, but the card reroute of virtual memory (eg: boost) is not really needed in win 10 home/pro any more, it is again easier to just let windows run the memory swap file, I have tried a 64gb swap with 19gb left on a 64gb SSD drive after an install of win 10 & office pro plus, it was easier and faster to just leave/use the 19gb, let win 10 manage the swap file and use the 64gb as storage, like a mini ssd drive!!!!

There are also a few other really important tips for windows 10 home/pro to help with the crap downloaded all the time and files duplicated by swap errors and memory dumps, so might add them if this discussion gains any interest to help others in same slow-boat-to-richmond!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants