tips: buying a second hand laptop

Found 9th Jul
looking for tips well more of a checklist to do when going to see/buy a second hand laptop from a private seller.

so far i've got:
- check it connects to wifi
- test the keys/track pad
- test speakers
- test webcam
- test usb ports
- test headphone jack
(- test hdmi port - going to be harder to do that though)
- check dvd drive works
- make sure charger works
- check health of battery life (how to do this?)

I'm probably forgetting some really obvious & important things but i've never bought a used laptop before so a bit of a noob

i buy used phones often & feel confident checking out the features on them as know what i'm looking for, but i've never bought a used laptop before. I know with phones I can use programs like cpu-z & run antutu , are there similar programs that would tell the me health of a laptop?
Community Updates
AskLaptop
Top comments
Are you moving in to give enough time to check it out?
8 Comments
Check that windows is activated and genuine....if installed
Edited by: "leejay" 9th Jul
leejay25 m ago

Check that windows is activated and genuine....if installed

originally it was listed with windows 7 but he informed me it's now been upgraded to windows 10 so need to ask him about that
Oneday7722 m ago

lol i get your point. I you could reccomend a better more efficient way to do the nescessary checks that would take less time i'd be happy to hear.
Form yeas of dealing with corporate laptops and seeing how users return them I'd add

- Check the plastics for any cracks. especially around the hinge area as this is where most will crack.
- Check BIOS isn't password protected
- Check all laptops rubber feet are in place.(you'd be surprised how many lose some...)
Run a benchmark GPU and CPU stress test. Any weakness will show up.
kester765 h, 44 m ago

Run a benchmark GPU and CPU stress test. Any weakness will show up.

How do I do these tests?
Well I wouldn't buy anything called reconditioned, these are norally heavy use machines. Try to by private and if you use ebay check their past sales to make sure they are not really a business. You can normally get an idea of the type of person they are too. Look for marks on the mousepad and keys. Look for things like stickers still on the laptop and try to get one which still has the box and booklets etc. Also best to try local.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants