Found 22nd Feb
I am wanting to get into photography specifically product product photography eg tshirts, phones etc.

Any tips on which dslr to get + lens?

Any good software to use for editing?

I have found a site which mentioned to get a light box to use when starting off.

Any advice is appreciated thanks.

1. Ask
  2. Photo
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Photo
20 Comments

I guess I would say your own need would be a camera to take raw images so those can be edited far more and form those you create the size and resolutions needed. I would either go for a panasonic bridge camera, a second Canon or a new Fujifilm. Don't go buying loads of expensive lenses right off, buy a few prime vintage. The Camera all in all no reason why you should pay more then £200 bridge and £600 new. Build slowly when need tells you what you have to.

I have a Fujifilm T-X10 but 30+ vintage lens picked up for few quid to £50.

Any reason why you want to go straight for a DSLR? Might be worth experimenting with what you have first to see if you'll enjoy it.

Original Poster

LetoKynes

Any reason why you want to go straight for a DSLR? Might be worth … Any reason why you want to go straight for a DSLR? Might be worth experimenting with what you have first to see if you'll enjoy it.

I have this at the moment, Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX220.

I just thought to get pro pics i need a dslr.

I would get something on the bay, dont buy new.

I have a Canon 1200D, the new 1300d is about £300,

Original Poster

allowed

I would get something on the bay, dont buy new.I have a Canon 1200D, the … I would get something on the bay, dont buy new.I have a Canon 1200D, the new 1300d is about £300,

i saw the 700d i assumed the higher the model number is the better the camera but it doesn't seem like that.

Go for the Dslr they are adaptable and programmable and there are a multitude of lenses to look for
Which you will need,choice I up to you. But if there is a proper camera shop near to you go there to seek advice and physically look and use the camera
Tbh asking on a forum on what camera to get is going to open a massive discussion between Nikon ,canon,and Olympus owners. Buy what you feel comfortable with, join a local photograph club
There you will get good advice regardless of your camera. Good Luck and happy snapping

Original Poster

Have around a £500 budget for a camera and lens. Will checkout my local jessops what they have.

Thanks.

Who are you taking these "product" photographs for? Do you have a client lined up?

Original Poster

LizzyUK

Who are you taking these "product" photographs for? Do you have a client … Who are you taking these "product" photographs for? Do you have a client lined up?

Lol - they would be in for a surprise.

Nope. Just going to opening an online store - nothing serious just though I would look into it, as am quite good at designing websites but terrible at taking pictures.

+ Want to take some landscape shots on holiday
Edited by: "hasnainthehotdeal" 22nd Feb

For products, the first thing I'd get would be something like this:
PHOTO TENT

You'll need LOADS of light with it, so a couple (or three - Top, left and right) of 100w LED flood lights to light it.
These are the ones I have my eye on at the mo.

Set the camera to have a good depth of field (a good high F number - we try to use 22) and remember to set the white balance.

Try things out with the camera you have now before you splash out on something more expensive.

At work we used to have a low ish Megapixel camera then "upgraded" to a 4/3s Panasonic. We got much better photos with the old camera.

An example of the sort of photo we get with a similar setup as to this is here

As for photo software, we use PaintShop Pro, (PSP these days). But it just comes down to what you know.
If you know nothing, start with free, like GIMP, and then pay for something if it has features that you need

A bit of advice for you, ebay has loads of second hand DSLR for sale that have never been used and all the owners have the same idea as your first post.

I would join a meetup group for photography before you buy

Got a photo lab for last 25 years, good advice on here. If shooting products, light box AND sunlight work well. Timer with tripod or balanced rest. gl.

The person using the camera often makes a much bigger difference than the capabilities of the camera...

get dslr with a good portrait lens and a couple of sync ttl flash

For product photography maybe have a look at Photigy on YouTube
youtube.com/use…eos

Quite a lot of advanced stuff on there... If you are a beginner at photography have a look at Mike Browne
youtube.com/cha…e8Q

Edited by: "Crusty" 22nd Feb

For Software, you can still snag Paintshop Pro X9 for £11.99 (topic on here)

sharewareonsale.com/s/d…ale - Dxoptics Pro 9 is also worth grabbing for free if you go for DSLR, as it has correction presets for some popular DSLR & lens combinations, not a full editor though.

Serif have also come out with a new Photo product, a friend uses it on Mac (now also available for Windows)
affinity.serif.com/en-…to/
Looks more "Pro" level than Paintshop Pro

Original Poster

For software I can get all of adobes software as a student for a good price.

Would you recommend lightroom at all? I can use photoshop quite well already.

Thanks for all the links guys am checking them all out.
Edited by: "hasnainthehotdeal" 22nd Feb

matth9999

For Software, you can still snag Paintshop Pro X9 for £11.99 (topic on … For Software, you can still snag Paintshop Pro X9 for £11.99 (topic on here)https://sharewareonsale.com/s/dxo-optics-pro-elite-sale - Dxoptics Pro 9 is also worth grabbing for free if you go for DSLR, as it has correction presets for some popular DSLR & lens combinations, not a full editor though.Serif have also come out with a new Photo product, a friend uses it on Mac (now also available for Windows)https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/Looks more "Pro" level than Paintshop Pro

Get DXO Optics directly from the DXO website, no need to sell your soul to sharewareonsale.
hotukdeals.com/fre…111

Also throwing Nik plugins into the mix.
google.com/nik…on/

Edited by: "tempt" 22nd Feb

hasnainthehotdeal

For software I can get all of adobes software as a student for a good … For software I can get all of adobes software as a student for a good price.Would you recommend lightroom at all? I can use photoshop quite well already.Thanks for all the links guys am checking them all out.

Lightroom is great

I'll add, make sure you white balance your shots.
So that the colours are correct.

If you didn't want to buy a light tent, you could make your own.
See YouTube for tutorials about this and light techniques.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions