Tips for removing limescale from shower door.

Found 13th Dec 2015
Hi to all you wise HUKD'ers. We have a shower door that has limescale marks from the wter droplets on the glass. I've tried using acid type limescale removers and vinegar to remove it, even going to the extent of taking the doors off and leaving them soaking in the stuff, it has worked to a certain extent. However there are still hardcore marks but no amount of scrubbing and abrasive cleaners have shifted them so far. If i get a stanley knife and scrape a single drop mark then I can scrape it off, with a minutes hard scraping. But this isn't really a practical solution.

Do any of you have any suggestions on how to get rid of them ?

Thanks in advance.
Community Updates
AskDoor
38 Comments
Banned
+1 keeping an eye on this thread
best to use CIF and a sponge with the green scouring part, get shower glass and then use a decent amount of CIF and scrub in a circular motion, then rinse. takes some elbow grease but works for me.
Leave some neat bleach on it for a few hours and it should do something. Failing that, bicarbonate of soda is a good cleaner.
Soak in vinegar
I swear by Ecover Limescale Remover..it normally does the trick.
Not the whole door. Try wiping with vinegar
try Non-drip Descaler Gel. Wear gloves when using
White vinegar and bicarbonate solution, natural and not too much elbow grease
Have you tried Mr muscle drain unblocker and a green scourer?
Or using lemon juice with bicarb or salt.
Or Vikal bathroom spray.
Edited by: "Diane78" 13th Dec 2015
Cilit Bang seems to be decent stuff
Cilit Bang seems to be decent stuff
A jar of elbow grease mixed with a bucket of effort.
Banned

and abrasive cleaners have shifted them so far. If i get a stanley knife … and abrasive cleaners have shifted them so far. If i get a stanley knife and scrape

Major mistake it comes back worse everytime
I like to use white vinegar and baking soda. They work well together, especially if you're able to warm the white vinegar first. If you can soak it, leave it for at least 20 minutes. If you can't, soak a tea towel, keep it wet against the area and leave for at least an hour.
If it's really thick limescale, it may take a few repeats of this every few days until it's gone.

But generally it's best to give it a quick wipe down frequently with a spray of white vinegar rather than having to prepare for a battle once you notice it. Good luck!
See, I swear by viakal spray!
It really works well, just spray, leave a while the gently sponge clean.
May take a couple of goes on tougher limescale but I live in a hard water area and it works wonders iny bathroom & kitchen!
Original Poster
Tried so far, , loads and loads of elbow grease, along with copious amounts of Cif, vinegar, commercial shower cleaner with limescale remover, kettle descaler solution and Bicarb of soda (but not with the vinegar, wouldn't these cancel each other out , one is an acid the other an alkali ? ) , green scouring pads with all of the above too ! Steel scouring pads and even a hardened steel scraper, this does remove some more material but what remains is so fine that the scraper cant touch it. If I get a craft knife and use the point I can get the remaining mark off so it's not that the glass is etched.

I've tried the vinegar, acid treatment several times over 4 days and it got rid of a fair bit but it's come to a halt and won't shift what remains. What does remain are very very fine marks that can't be felt by running a finger over it but are easily seen

Edited by: "RxTx" 13th Dec 2015
I wet kitchen towel (plenty or something else strong) in hot vinegar and then stick them to the door/glass. Leave for a few hours then rinse. Doesn't work as well with cold vinegar.
Go to Homebase & get yourself a bottle of BarKeepers Friend. Its in a blue plastic bottle & will cost you £1.49.
Use a pad with it and it will be off and looking like new in no time
You can also use this stuff when cleaning other stuff. Its the bees knees and you wouldn't believe how good it is
HG make a great product called Professional Limescale Remover. follow the instructions on the bottle and it will work. maintain your lovely clean door with HG Scale Away. I used to work for HG and these products really work. research them on Google to get more info.
davewave

best to use CIF and a sponge with the green scouring part, get shower … best to use CIF and a sponge with the green scouring part, get shower glass and then use a decent amount of CIF and scrub in a circular motion, then rinse. takes some elbow grease but works for me.

I agree. The trick seems to be the sponge with the green scouring part. CIF works great but other stuff also seems to do the job as long as you use the scouring part of the sponge.
krisward7955

Soak in vinegar

White vinegar.
Buy a new door.. It is Xmas
After getting rid of the limescale, consider the AllClear liquid from Lakes Showers. Very effective in preventing limescale build up in my experience.
use viakal liquid (not spray). squirt it on the shower screen and also on a scourer then scrub. any limescale will move no problem.
Living in a "hard water" area - have gone through several shower units, kettles and immersion heating elements - the only cure was one of those coil thingys you wrap around your main cold water feed (just after main stop tap). Haven't needed to replace any of the aforementioned since (except kettle purely cosmetic).
There's still the scaley splash marks that build up on shower screen but not as bad as before.

You've got some good recommendations above (I don't need to add to the list) but I will say once cleaned - keep a spray bottle filled with diluted bleach to spray immediately after a shower. This will stop any future build up.
Edited by: "philphil61" 13th Dec 2015
coca cola
krisward7955

Buy a new door.. It is Xmas

Is it a clear glass cubicle you've got? They do tend to look awful in hard water areas and replacing it with frosted glass would be a permanent solution to the problem.
EndlessWaves

Is it a clear glass cubicle you've got? They do tend to look awful in … Is it a clear glass cubicle you've got? They do tend to look awful in hard water areas and replacing it with frosted glass would be a permanent solution to the problem.

Haha Its not me. My shower is clean
Lemon juice (fresh squeezed) and bicarb made into a thick ish paste... Leave on overnight. Use the remnants of the squeezed lemons on your taps... Tie them on with string and have shiny new raps in the morning.

Lx
DMacs

Go to Homebase & get yourself a bottle of BarKeepers Friend. Its in a … Go to Homebase & get yourself a bottle of BarKeepers Friend. Its in a blue plastic bottle & will cost you £1.49.Use a pad with it and it will be off and looking like new in no timeYou can also use this stuff when cleaning other stuff. Its the bees knees and you wouldn't believe how good it is

I agree with DMacs. Bar keepers friend is great for cleaning glass. Not expensive either and lasts for ages.
I personally would recommend the powder over the clean version.
what did you use in the end?
Original Poster
davewave

what did you use in the end?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll try a few of the suggestions in the next couple of days and let you know how it goes.
You have probably scratched the glass all over if you have been using Steel scouring pads on it oO
philphil61

Living in a "hard water" area - have gone through several shower units, … Living in a "hard water" area - have gone through several shower units, kettles and immersion heating elements - the only cure was one of those coil thingys you wrap around your main cold water feed (just after main stop tap). Haven't needed to replace any of the aforementioned since (except kettle purely cosmetic).There's still the scaley splash marks that build up on shower screen but not as bad as before.You've got some good recommendations above (I don't need to add to the list) but I will say once cleaned - keep a spray bottle filled with diluted bleach to spray immediately after a shower. This will stop any future build up.

What are these coily things?
chocci

What are these coily things?

Electronic Water Descaler is the common name
Don't quote me but I think they alter the calcium deposits which prevents them sticking
Edited by: "philphil61" 14th Dec 2015
philphil61

Electronic Water Descaler is the common nameDon't quote me but I think … Electronic Water Descaler is the common nameDon't quote me but I think they alter the calcium deposits which prevents them sticking

Cheers - will do some research
Original Poster
chocci

You have probably scratched the glass all over if you have been using … You have probably scratched the glass all over if you have been using Steel scouring pads on it oO

Glass is harder than steel so there is no scratching from the steel scouring pads. In the areas where I've used a lot of effort with the pads the glass is clear and blemish free. Get an old wine bottle and try scratching it with steel pads and let me know how you get on
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions