Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Tips on travelling to Orlando with a 16 month old!

Posted 21st Oct
Hi Everyone! Just wanted to ask for some tips and advise from members who travel frequently with their little ones.

We are flying to Orlando in few weeks with our 16 month old. Its out first time on a plane with my daughter. Can anyone share their "Flight List" with me? We are flying with British Airways on a evening flight. So i am hoping little one will be asleep. We have reserved seats with a bassinet, so i am hoping she is comfortable sleeping.

Will be taking plenty of snacks, clothes and blanket etc!

Thank you!!
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

7 Comments
deeky21/10/2019 11:57

You'll find plenty of discussion on this and many other topic here.

Thank you.
Best tip will be leave lots of time for toddling and looking about.

Relax don’t rush and if the kids cries it’s fine..

If it’s to Orlando then you have to use the airport tram which is fun but they take all ur bags back which is annoying as you pick ur bags up twice then.
Young children find it difficult to equalise the pressure in their ears which happens when an aircraft climbs or descends. The effect is particularly noticeable on take off and the first 15 mins of flight and the last 10 mins to landing. This is why you will hear unhappy babies on aircraft at these times. SInce you can't tell a young child to hold its nose and blow or swallow hard, the best way round it is to give her a bottle of water/milk with a teet on it to suck away on particularly for take off. For older kids a lolly like Chupa CHups is ideal.The same is true if your child is prone to wind, try to avoid foods which you know will bring this on. Try to avoid giving your child stimulants like sweets or carbonated drinks, You want to be calm parents with a relaxed sleepy child. In the old days a spoon of Medised was a god send, but I'm told this is frowned upon these days. :-)
Try to get the cabin crew on your side, if you need things heating up, try to do it at quieter times of the flight when the galley is quiet. Please please don't put a nappy down the toilet. They stick and make the toilet unusable.
Have fun and don't try to cram too many things into the holiday. We took our kids round the world a couple of times before the age of 6 with few issues.
My tip. Don't do it because it is selfish & you do not know how much pain it is causing the babies ears.
Willy_Wonka22/10/2019 00:54

My tip. Don't do it because it is selfish & you do not know how much pain …My tip. Don't do it because it is selfish & you do not know how much pain it is causing the babies ears.

Thank you but wasn't asking for your advice on if i should or shouldn't take my child on a plane. Take it you weren't ever taken on holidays as child? There are ways of helping the pain. Thanks for taking the time to post your opinions though.
airbus33021/10/2019 23:47

Young children find it difficult to equalise the pressure in their ears …Young children find it difficult to equalise the pressure in their ears which happens when an aircraft climbs or descends. The effect is particularly noticeable on take off and the first 15 mins of flight and the last 10 mins to landing. This is why you will hear unhappy babies on aircraft at these times. SInce you can't tell a young child to hold its nose and blow or swallow hard, the best way round it is to give her a bottle of water/milk with a teet on it to suck away on particularly for take off. For older kids a lolly like Chupa CHups is ideal.The same is true if your child is prone to wind, try to avoid foods which you know will bring this on. Try to avoid giving your child stimulants like sweets or carbonated drinks, You want to be calm parents with a relaxed sleepy child. In the old days a spoon of Medised was a god send, but I'm told this is frowned upon these days. :-)Try to get the cabin crew on your side, if you need things heating up, try to do it at quieter times of the flight when the galley is quiet. Please please don't put a nappy down the toilet. They stick and make the toilet unusable.Have fun and don't try to cram too many things into the holiday. We took our kids round the world a couple of times before the age of 6 with few issues.

Thanks..! I will most like give her a bottle. Will definitely not put a nappy down the toilet. We are staying with family so its going to be very chilled!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants