Groups

TKMaxx overstating RRP by 33% - is that allowed?

My mother bought something from TKMaxx and the sticker stated that the RRP was £19 when I know that at John Lewis, House of Fraser and direct from the manufacturer's website it's £14 - is it legal to overstate the RRP by 33%? I think it's naughty of them!

12 Comments

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;7666250

RRP is exactly that a guide that will be given to the retailer, it's not … RRP is exactly that a guide that will be given to the retailer, it's not a definate price, could be a clearance line hence cheap prices and it being in tk maxx.

Good point, but the thing is the price of the product has been £14 for a very long time from 3 different large retailers (not on clearance/sale), never £19, even when buying direct from the manufacturer's website.

Banned

sickly sweet;7666343

Good point, but the thing is the price of the product has been £14 for a … Good point, but the thing is the price of the product has been £14 for a very long time from 3 different large retailers (not on clearance/sale), never £19, even when buying direct from the manufacturer's website.

It dosen't matter the RRP is exactly that, it never has to be sold at the rrp ever, take most new release games/dvd's etc, only a very small % are ever sold at full rrp.

RRP is recommended retail price, not necessarily what it is on sale for elsewhere.
    I'd not loose sleep over it.

I don't think that RRP has any legal standing.

The only rules they have to be careful of is that if they offer a reduced price they may be called on to prove that it was offered at the higher price a reasonable amount of time.

RRP are made up prices to enhance offer prices so count for nothing, a shop can sell an item for whatever price it wants as long as it does not try to mislead the potential buyer...;-)

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;7666370

It dosen't matter the RRP is exactly that, it never has to be sold at the … It dosen't matter the RRP is exactly that, it never has to be sold at the rrp ever, take most new release games/dvd's etc, only a very small % are ever sold at full rrp.

Fair point. I still don't think it's right though.

Original Poster

bellabonkers;7666431

RRP is recommended retail price, not necessarily what it is on sale for … RRP is recommended retail price, not necessarily what it is on sale for elsewhere.I'd not loose sleep over it.

lol, no sleep will be lost. I was just wondering as it doesn't seem right.

I think in protest you should never buy from them again..
    There even charging for carrier bags. what a liberty eh

Taken from Wiki.... ref Bid TV doing the same

The ASA have upheld complaints against bid tv on two separate occasions [1], . In the most serious case they ruled that bid tv had overestimated the guide price of £1700 for "Black Agate Globes"; "Bid-up could only provide proof of one supplier that may have sold the globe for £1700."[3] In fact, one supplier whom bid tv claimed sold the item for £1700 actually offered to sell the item for £265 with most companies offering the globe for considerably less than £1700: "between £250 and £500."[3] bid tv was therefore found in breach of ASA broadcasting codes for providing inaccurate pricing.

PS ASA is the Advertising Standards Authority

gal2792t;7666816

Taken from Wiki.... ref Bid TV doing the sameThe ASA have upheld … Taken from Wiki.... ref Bid TV doing the sameThe ASA have upheld complaints against bid tv on two separate occasions [1], . In the most serious case they ruled that bid tv had overestimated the guide price of £1700 for "Black Agate Globes"; "Bid-up could only provide proof of one supplier that may have sold the globe for £1700."[3] In fact, one supplier whom bid tv claimed sold the item for £1700 actually offered to sell the item for £265 with most companies offering the globe for considerably less than £1700: "between £250 and £500."[3] bid tv was therefore found in breach of ASA broadcasting codes for providing inaccurate pricing.PS ASA is the Advertising Standards Authority

RRP?

thesaint;7666892

RRP?

Their guide price use to be the rrp (apparently)

Original Poster

Thanks for the comments and info - the Bid TV info is interesting. I'm not going to get my knickers in a twist over an RRP sticker but I'm interested in whether it's allowed as it appears misleading.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions