Groups

To Audition or Not to Audition? That is the question.

Hi, peeps!

A friend's daughter took part in a school singing competition and all her mates have been telling her to go for the X Factor auditions. However, she's not confident enough to go for it. So if you folks would be kind enough to spare a few moments of your valuable time to listen and comment it would be greatly appreciated.

BTW she's just 16 and just bear in mind the singing is live also I believe recorded on a mobile phone or some other lo-tech recording device.
    Be kind with any comments, the family has been through some "major" carp.

Links in next post.

Thanks in advance folks.

37 Comments

Original Poster

]click vid 1
    ]click vid 2

I think she should go for it, she sounds good & she has nothing to loose

why not she seems to be able to hold a tune a lot better than some of the other morons that get through and who knows she may go a lot further than she and others thought she would!

She sounds pretty good........in Like A Prayer

A bit flat in I Wanna Dance though and off key

Banned

my daughter has been waiting to go on this for 2 years, and have encouraged her to wait till next year, we discussed it long and hard on both of the years and agreed it would be best to wait till she had done her gcse, some will probably say she should be going for it now but i believe its alot of pressure on someone studying to do well at school, just something to think about, i believe good reults are more important than going on the x factor at 15

She gets my vote :thumbsup:

Original Poster

livingthelife07;5459254

I think she should go for it, she sounds good & she has nothing to loose … I think she should go for it, she sounds good & she has nothing to loose

I would agree,:thumbsup:
    brettytopbanana;5459269

why not she seems to be able to hold a tune a lot better than some of the … why not she seems to be able to hold a tune a lot better than some of the other morons that get through and who knows she may go a lot further than she and others thought she would!

We have all tried to tell her this.

Unfortunately some of the abuse/violence her mum, her and her two brothers have had to go through has left deep scars esp. in confidence.

I would appreciate any comments/ratings you folks who are reg on youtube would leave for her.

thanks

she should go for it, i prefer the first song to the second but yea shes good

She sounds good, she should go for it.

Banned

tinkerbell28;5459413

With all due respect, she is good but if she is that vunerable maybe she … With all due respect, she is good but if she is that vunerable maybe she needs to address that first through counselling and that, she is still only a kid.I know one of the acts closely that was in the final year before last, won't say who as it's personal BUT I can assure you of one thing, they will exploit her and her past for all they can, she won't be well looked after in that way. So if you think she is fragile, I would say no.

I was going to post exactly the same, and also adding that asking people on here to add comments on youtube is all well and good but i doubt very much of a confidence booster when she realises people have been asked to do it, sorry

Lena Zavaroni, check out her story on you tube, then make your mind up

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5459413

With all due respect, she is good but if she is that vunerable maybe she … With all due respect, she is good but if she is that vunerable maybe she needs to address that first through counselling and that, she is still only a kid.I know one of the acts closely that was in the final year before last, won't say who as it's personal BUT I can assure you of one thing, they will exploit her and her past for all they can, she won't be well looked after in that way. So if you think she is fragile, I would say no.

I do agree, fortunately her family is now safe and without going in to specifics they are well and truly "on the mend" with plenty of family support, plus I think she would like to go for it but just doesn't believe in herself enough, the way others who have heard her do.
    sassie;5459446

I was going to post exactly the same, and also adding that asking people … I was going to post exactly the same, and also adding that asking people on here to add comments on youtube is all well and good but i doubt very much of a confidence booster when she realises people have been asked to do it, sorry

Apologies if you misunderstand me, what i was saying is that those on here who are registered youtube users and who have left comments on here may also do so on youtube, all i'm asking is that that people don't start making "nasty retorts" such as "you sound like a blah blah blah and you should go and blah blah blah" which can sometimes be found on youtube (not that I believe that HUKD users are that low and immature) and that they should bear in mind the singer is 16 years old so no bad language etc.

Also I don't believe there's anythig wrong with constructive criticism delivered in a positive manner.

i wouldnt let her waste her time unless she isok with rejection - you can be brilliant but if you aint what they are looking for you aint getting past the first audition/interview - waiting can be 8 hours or more

Banned

bargain surfer;5459547

I do agree, fortunately her family is now safe and without going in to … I do agree, fortunately her family is now safe and without going in to specifics they are well and truly "on the mend" with plenty of family support, plus I think she would like to go for it but just doesn't believe in herself enough, the way others who have heard her do.Apologies if you misunderstand me, what i was saying is that those on here who are registered youtube users and who have left comments on here may also do so on youtube, all i'm asking is that that people don't start making "nasty retorts" such as "you sound like a blah blah blah and you should go and blah blah blah" which can sometimes be found on youtube (not that I believe that HUKD users are that low and immature) and that they should bear in mind the singer is 16 years old so no bad language etc.Also I don't believe there's anythig wrong with constructive criticism delivered in a positive manner.

I didnt misunderstand, what i am saying is you realise by posting this on here, opens her up to all sorts of crap, also when she realises the comments come because you have linked and asked people to comment im sure she wont be feeling to confident, youtube is prime targets for crap is she cannot deal with crap words on there she sure as hell wont be able to deal with the crap the media will drag up, 16 or not

Original Poster

sassie;5459647

I didnt misunderstand, what i am saying is you realise by posting this on … I didnt misunderstand, what i am saying is you realise by posting this on here, opens her up to all sorts of crap, also when she realises the comments come because you have linked and asked people to comment im sure she wont be feeling to confident, youtube is prime targets for crap is she cannot deal with crap words on there she sure as hell wont be able to deal with the crap the media will drag up, 16 or not

You may be right about the video posting being vulnerable to crap, hopefully people on HUKD aren't really that low and immature, are they? :thinking: either way the vids have been on youtube since April, I believe, so she is already aware that people may leave comments etc.
    but like i said, there's nothing wrong with constructive criticism delivered in a positive manner, hopefully this is what HUKD members linking through here will do, rather than being nasty.

I don't think someone vulnerable should put themselves in for something like that.

What if she waits 8 hours and she's turned down at the first audition? At least getting to boot camp could be a boost, but she might not make it that far.

Would singing lessons be an option? Maybe she could try in a year when she has developed more? There have been a few contestants who have been told they have nice voices but just aren't good enough - and this year's winner went off and worked on her voice after she lost in her first attempt.

I do agree she has a good voice, though. But she doesn't have to win X-Factor to have a singing career.

Should try i think

Banned

there are many things in life we may want to do, they dont have to all be done at 15, 16, 17 etc, things should be done when you are ready and strong enough to deal with them, and yes your not always going to have the oppurtunity when to do certain things, but when their is the option to do things when its right then its obviously a wise choice to wait for the right timing

This years auditions have already finished im sure

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5459815

No but that's not what the X factor is about, constructive criticism, … No but that's not what the X factor is about, constructive criticism, crap! Not aimed at you but the show, it's there for money, to make money for the already rich, exploiting people along the way, you cannot tell me in the xfactor final every year they are the most talanted, even with a personal interest I can say that:w00t:It's all a celeb, press hungry, survival of the fittest, every minute detail of your personal life up for public examination, no mention of the singing. It's not just what you see on the TV, the judges giving constructive criticism, god no.

true, but whether or not she would go to an X Factor OR any other Audition would be her own choice, and an entirely different matter. Me, her friends and family think she should.
    sassie;5459844

there are many things in life we may want to do, they dont have to all be … there are many things in life we may want to do, they dont have to all be done at 15, 16, 17 etc, things should be done when you are ready and strong enough to deal with them, and yes your not always going to have the oppurtunity when to do certain things, but when their is the option to do things when its right then its obviously a wise choice to wait for the right timing

Good words. She is focused mainly on her A levels and I highly doubt she would drop her education in pursuit of a "dream" career which may or may not become true.
    glenncraneuk;5459828

Should try i think

thanks

It's not if she thinks she can sing, or if her family or friends think she can sing, it's when someone "higher" i.e. a famous face, maybe someone that is high in musicals that you don't know personally states that she can sing. Then if that's the case, she'll go for it.

I think I'm a fookin ace singer, and so does my parents, but that isn't enough, if you get my drift.

could the family maybe get her a few singing lessons just to round off any bad habits before she goes on xfactor. it would give her a better chance to build the power up and the confidence. maybe people give lessons as birthday or christmas gifts. it would be a shame to not make the best of her voice first so she has more confidence first as she has time on her side.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5459932

The auditions are still live I think, just to give you an insight, it's … The auditions are still live I think, just to give you an insight, it's all crap and totally different to what you see on tv.People are auditioned by TV producers who would not know talent if it hit them on the head and waved a flag.Only those they deem "really good", quirky, odd, total crap but entertaining will get through. They have no clue of real musical talent.Those that get through see the "judges", it's all staged again they are thinking £££££££ at this stage still, letting people through, manipulating them to bring them down with a thud in boot camp.She will be asked about her past and any vunerabilites and she will be told to exploit it, or else. Seriously...........

I have heard about this, I reckon her mum would be telling mr S Cowell what to shove in his shiny gob before he could make any snide comments LOL.
    The girl is focused on her studies and I doubt an X Factor let down would phase her. I just hope folks limking through here don't leave obscene/indecent comments, thats all.

Supermod

She is good but to be honest, that show would eat her up if she wasnt confident enough.

I have a friend who is going to be pretty big soon. Sony BMG and Elton Johns record company (cannot remember their name) are after him. I cannot remember who he is going to go with but I will post again when he makes it!

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5459932

So why ask the question then? In all honesty I think you are either very … So why ask the question then? In all honesty I think you are either very naive about the whole process or choose to ignore it if you think she should at 16 with a "past".

Feedback, Wider opinion.
    An experience for her, should she wish to go for it.
    I'm not naive or ignorant, just trying to make sure we are not all tone deaf. :w00t:

Banned

to be honest you have used her family crap on here, why even mention it if all of a sudden you dont think its an issue

Original Poster

128plant;5459961

could the family maybe get her a few singing lessons just to round off … could the family maybe get her a few singing lessons just to round off any bad habits before she goes on xfactor. it would give her a better chance to build the power up and the confidence. maybe people give lessons as birthday or christmas gifts. it would be a shame to not make the best of her voice first so she has more confidence first as she has time on her side.

Constructive criticism, delivered in a positive manner. no? :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;5460030

to be honest you have used her family crap on here, why even mention it … to be honest you have used her family crap on here, why even mention it if all of a sudden you dont think its an issue

bargain surfer;5459975

I have heard about this, I reckon her mum would be telling mr S Cowell … I have heard about this, I reckon her mum would be telling mr S Cowell what to shove in his shiny gob before he could make any snide comments LOL.The girl is focused on her studies and I doubt an X Factor let down would phase her. I just hope folks limking through here don't leave obscene/indecent comments, thats all.

I haven't "used" past crap. It is an issue, but maybe been blown out of proportion by some.
    just to re-iterate.

Banned

make up ya flippin mind, anyway whatever good luck to the young girl in question in her future, whatever it may hold

to be honest mate my friend is good but she was rejected at first audition, they dont always put through talent, cause otherwise there wouldnt be anyone different for the next years

If Simon Cowell thinks that he can make money out of her she's got a chance.

I wouldn't let any child of mine anywhere near him. The whole show is designed for the have-nots to think that they've got a chance in life. It's a sad reflection on our society. :-(

I think the xfactor is the destroyer of the human soul - shes an alright singer but putting her through that process will hurt her self confidence, if she likes to sing, sing but not to win money

I vote no for the simple fact shes too young and needs to concentrate on other things besides singing

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5460113

With all due respect it was made out to be a major issue, and was quite a … With all due respect it was made out to be a major issue, and was quite a valid reason IMO, to say maybe reconsider supporting her for it:)

bargain surfer;5459975

I just hope folks limking through here don't leave obscene/indecent … I just hope folks limking through here don't leave obscene/indecent comments, thats all.

^ thats what I was getting at in relation to lack of confidence etc
    I reckon any teenager who finds obscene type of comments would be adversely affected, regardless of past experience.

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;5460200

Of course they would, I would just think very carefully about encouraging … Of course they would, I would just think very carefully about encouraging her into such a brutal process as if she has a past, she is more fragile and the scope for the press to do more damage is wider.

My point precisely

tinkerbell28;5460200

That's all, all the best to her though:)

Thanks.:)

my opinion (if it counts for anything) is that x-factor is not the way to go. she is a good singer and should try to progress her future in singing. but not through the x-factor

x-factor is not really about talent, it is about making money for simon cowell. i spent a total of 32 hours with 2 seperate people trying to get onto this years show. (there is a ridiculous amount of sitting around involved)

one of them is already a lead singer in a band and the other is a semi-pro. both of them were told they could only progress past round two if they agreed to act like total morons if the judges said no. (this just proves the show is a set up)

there were something like 60,000 turned up for the birmingham auditions round one, they had cut this down to about 2000 by round two. they actually only wanted 200 people from the whole of the uk to actually see the "judges" now when you count the people they have to put through for the entertainment value it doesnt leave much room for the talented people.

i would hate for her to get a rejection because she isn't tarty enough or wacky enough and for it to destroy her confidence in singing.

she sounds good and has a nice look, not really great though imo , the song choices didnt help very dated songs, for a 16 year old they need to sing something more current.......my mate has got through the london auditions this year,he is quiet and shy......they seem to prefer to see people who dont realise how good they are. i would only go on X factor as a last resort - she is young enough to try other ways of "making it" a few studio demos would help her i think.
    :thumbsup:

Must be mad, I haven't listened to the links... but if she isn't turned into a wreck after going through the auditions if she makes it through to the preliminary rounds don't you think this 'Past issue' is going to be dredged up in every gossip columns, magazine or newspaper?

If she likes singing and its a passion, don't kill that passion at 16 with some carp show like the X-Factor.

Start with school concerts, start a band, singing in clubs gain experience confidence and the thick skin needed to take industrial criticism.

There is always another year, X-factor will go on for years.

If you don't think she could take stupid nasty comments from web users (that mean nothing and have no insight) how on earth is she going to react to someone who knows what they are talking about giving negative criticism?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846238
      2. How dangerous is Donald trump?32183
      3. Sad Gazza anecdote August 8th 2017 - Beyond help?2437
      4. Microsoft Gamescom - Possibly more free games / Project Scorpio1732

See more discussions