Groups

To buy this Sony 50 inch TV or not?

I am thinking about buying this second hand TV from someone and was wondering if it is a good deal/TV. He is asking £220 for it

Sony KDF-E50A12U Full
    Specification
    Dimensions/Weight
    ProductType Rear
    Projection
    Diagonalsize 50 in.
    Imageaspect ratio 16:9

Dimensions(WxHxD) 1184x827x408 mm
    Weight29.6 kg

Includedaccessories TV stand; remote control; 2xAA batteries; coaxial
    cable
    Video
    Resolution1280 x 720 pixels
    HDformats 720p,
    1080i
    Horizontalviewing angle 130 °
    Projector Technology
    Analogvideo signal RGB, S-Video,
    Component Video, Composite Video
    PCcompatibility Yes
    Audio
    Outputmode Stereo
    Speakersincluded 2

Totaloutput power 10 W
    Surroundsound effects Dolby Virtual

Television Features

Additionalfeatures Picture Freeze;
    Auto Volume
    Tuner
    IntegratedFreeview tuner Yes
    DualTV Tuner Yes

Connections
    Composite1 (side)
    S-Video1 (side)

RGB-Scart2 (rear)
    Component1 (rear)
    HDMI1 (rear)

HDCPYes
    SkyHigh Definition compatible Yes

13 Comments

seems like a fair price for an older TV. how long ago did he purchase it?

any warranty remaining?

Fair price, but rear projection....ergh

Check how long it has been used for...could be on its way out as well.

Banned

hippyharry;8571928

Fair price, but rear projection....ergh

Avoid avoid avoid!

Banned

I sold one of these a few years back m8 for £100 ! Nah i would stay clear as tesco are selling the new 32" lg or samsung i cann mind for £100 extra than what that fella is asking , plus is the bulbs go in the back of the tele its £50 each bulb to replace

Original Poster

I saw it in action yesterday and was pretty impressed with the sound and picture.

He bought a new lamp last August and it worked fine for 3 years before that. He has also had it from new.

Why the bad vibes?!

Banned

TheMafia;8572002

I saw it in action yesterday and was pretty impressed with the sound and … I saw it in action yesterday and was pretty impressed with the sound and picture.He bought a new lamp last August and it worked fine for 3 years before that. He has also had it from new.Why the bad vibes?!

Well to be honest my dad had that telly n hes nearly 50 and it was his for years its an old telly .... and they are pretty bad for stuff just going wrong but i mean if u think itts a gd deal then its up 2 u

Banned

ok for SD viewing, not for HD

Banned

whatsThePoint;8572252

yeah why not get a 50" plasma that goes in the bin with the first sign of … yeah why not get a 50" plasma that goes in the bin with the first sign of something going wrong :whistling: at least this can be repaired :thumbsup:

no need for the sarcy ness all im saying is that it may cost u more than what u paid for the tv to get repaired ! and they are old fasioned i have the 50" samsung in my livingroom and bedroom and i wouldnt go back to these old rear pro jection tvs

It's a cracking TV but the bulb life isn't the best. Also make sure you have the room for it i ended up having to ditch mine as it just filled the living room. Mine went for £280 a few years ago so try and get him down to £200. Its comes with a very well built stand as you would expect with such a beast. The depth though surprisingley isn't that bad. Check what the brightness is set to before buying it when viewing, anything near 100% means the bulb is on its way out.

Original Poster

Thanks for the more helpful comments!

I don't think he'll budge from £220 and I saw a couple sold on eBay last for £390 and £310 so thought it was a fairly good price. Depending on size in the lliving room I may be selling it straight away (my house isn't built yet).

The guy hasn't had any problems with it and if it needs a new bulb every 3 years for approx £80/£90 then surely it works out to be a good deal. I was blown away by the sound and picture quality - watching footy/films/PS3 on it would be immense!

I havve this telly, well it's in the repairers for the 2nd time as the lamps went again.I wouldn't buy it as now it's 3 years old ours started having problems just past th 3 year mark.Keep having to have bulbs replaced and as mentioned it is now quite old fashioned looking and bulky. Also bulbs aren't covered under warranty.

Original Poster

osbornerayman;8572862

I havve this telly, well it's in the repairers for the 2nd time as the … I havve this telly, well it's in the repairers for the 2nd time as the lamps went again.I wouldn't buy it as now it's 3 years old ours started having problems just past th 3 year mark.Keep having to have bulbs replaced and as mentioned it is now quite old fashioned looking and bulky. Also bulbs aren't covered under warranty.

Thanks for the info, as this one is 4 years old I may have to have a re-think. Any good (and CHEAP) 40"/50" sets out there at the moment?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Minecraft Xbox One S Leaked33
      2. USS Indianapolis wreckage to be considered as a war memorial712
      3. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay716
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764336

See more discussions