Toaster Broke... SOGA??

Found 21st Aug 2009
Hello

My £4.48 Argos Cookworks toaster has given up the ghost...
I have had it two years, and now the lever will not stay down.

I am still making toast, but I have to keep my hand on the handle until (I think) it is done...

So do I get it replaced under the sales of goods act. I would expect a toaster to last more than 2 years...

P.S. If not, any advice for a goods toaster??

1. Misc
  2. Toaster
21 Comments

erm my gob is smacked :w00t: you serious?

You... can.... not...... be......... serious........

Erm.. wth?

Soga expectations do take price into account.
£2.24 per year of service is fantastic value. You think the £50 type toasters last 20+ years?
Just buy another one?

michelleleemoo;6081800

erm my gob is smacked :w00t: you serious?

Moo, you promised never to tell that I knocked you around in our kinky sessions x x

For the sake of £4.48, it's not worth it !!

buy another one,please please

If the staff at your local Argos can keep a straight face they might replace it for you out of pity. Then again it is Argos.

Original Poster

Not that serious, you can't go wrong with a £4.50 toaster, but I feel a little crappy throwing it away...
All this environmental nonsense all over the place.
I am going to try a take apart later, but will get a replacment.
I have been looking around, the one complaint I did have about it was the bread always stuck out of the top... So need a bigger toaster I think.. If they do one??

ClarityofMind;6081836

Moo, you promised never to tell that I knocked you around in our kinky … Moo, you promised never to tell that I knocked you around in our kinky sessions x x

well you wanna own up to what I just posted in micoo's thread too :whistling::whistling:

how long does soga say it should last ?

Use the grill on you cooker or buy another one. I'm surprised it lasted that long!

Chiptivo;6081858

Not that serious, you can't go wrong with a £4.50 toaster, but I feel a … Not that serious, you can't go wrong with a £4.50 toaster, but I feel a little crappy throwing it away... All this environmental nonsense all over the place. I am going to try a take apart later, but will get a replacment.I have been looking around, the one complaint I did have about it was the bread always stuck out of the top... So need a bigger toaster I think.. If they do one??

don't throw it away, haven't you seen the episode of the simpsons, where home turns the toaster in to a time machine (tree house of horror i think)

Chiptivo;6081858

Not that serious, you can't go wrong with a £4.50 toaster,

DO NOT THROW IT AWAY...
Strip the heating wire from it connect it to a 12v 1A+ adaptor and use it as a foam cutting hot wire, or for a fancy firework detonation system, loads of other uses:

instructables.com/id/…ks/

instructables.com/tag…one

The wire on its own would have cost you more than the toaster!

Original Poster

harlzter;6082163

DO NOT THROW IT AWAY...Strip the heating wire from it connect it to a 12v … DO NOT THROW IT AWAY...Strip the heating wire from it connect it to a 12v 1A+ adaptor and use it as a foam cutting hot wire, or for a fancy firework detonation system, loads of other uses:http://www.instructables.com/id/Hot-Wire-Foam-Cutting-Nunchucks/http://www.instructables.com/tag/?q=nichrome&limit%3Atype%3Aid=on&type%3Aid=on&type%3Auser=on&type%3Acomment=on&type%3Agroup=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&type%3AforumTopic=on&sort=noneThe wire on its own would have cost you more than the toaster!

Wow.. Interesting advice..

I have tried to open and fix, but is uses off security screws like these..

gasseling.us/Scr…JPG

I have cut off the plug as it was not moulded one... Yippee..

Toasters are overrated anyways, use the grill instead - I paid £40 for my last toaster and it still bl**dy can't cook both sides of the bread evenly!

Mrs.Z;6082388

Toasters are overrated anyways, use the grill instead - I paid £40 for my … Toasters are overrated anyways, use the grill instead - I paid £40 for my last toaster and it still bl**dy can't cook both sides of the bread evenly!

i agree cant make good toasted cheese unless you use the grill

jamstaruk1972;6082405

i agree cant make good toasted cheese unless you use the grill

I always have trouble making beans on toast, makes such a mess in the botttom! :whistling:

Banana79;6082848

I always have trouble making beans on toast, makes such a mess in the … I always have trouble making beans on toast, makes such a mess in the botttom! :whistling:

lol

Chiptivo;6081858

Not that serious, you can't go wrong with a £4.50 toaster, but I feel a … Not that serious, you can't go wrong with a £4.50 toaster, but I feel a little crappy throwing it away... All this environmental nonsense all over the place. I am going to try a take apart later, but will get a replacment.I have been looking around, the one complaint I did have about it was the bread always stuck out of the top... So need a bigger toaster I think.. If they do one??

Turn the bread on it's side unless its square bread and not rectangular.

Original Poster

milewide;6084021

Turn the bread on it's side unless its square bread and not rectangular.

lol. it would not fit. I tried....

I think the £4.48 toasters are for little bread only.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Quidco Snow me the money Competition821076
    2. Win a luxury spa break for two in Yorkshire at Rudding Park, Harrogate @ Su…1010
    3. WIN! A PS4 Pro And A Pro Edition Copy Of Call Of Duty: WWII @ TopMan1316
    4. Magazine competitions - Issue 45 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk1616

See more discussions