Toby deals for a galaxy watch active 2

Posted 18th Oct
tobydeals.co.uk/en_…tml

211 quid for an RRP of 289. I can't find it cheaper elsewhere. Toby deals seem to be banned.

Looking for advice in the risks involved there. Too good to be true?
Community Updates
Buying From Abroad

Groups

6 Comments
Cons: Hong Kong supplier and everything that entails, such as potential difficulty in servicing a warranty via HK unless there is a route to local/UK-based warranty (which there may be via S75, but not via PayPal); if in dispute there is difficulty in asserting any legal pressure unless you are familiar with HK legal system; CS level generally poor. Pros: generally excellent pricing; no additional import fees as these are sorted prior to the goods hitting the customers' doorsteps; reasonable delivery timeframe considering the often significantly distant source warehouse.
I'd suggest an across-the-board approach applicable to any purchase from a foreign supplier: only consider buying an item individually priced over £100 and only pay the trader directly by UK credit card. If those two conditions cannot be met I don't bother. Those two conditions qualify the purchase for UK-based and legally enforceable consumer protection related to delivery, items being as described and UK-based replicated merchant warrranty.
TBH, there's quite a few recent threads spouting similar p&c, plus opinions.
AndyRoyd18/10/2019 21:40

Cons: Hong Kong supplier and everything that entails, such as potential …Cons: Hong Kong supplier and everything that entails, such as potential difficulty in servicing a warranty via HK unless there is a route to local/UK-based warranty (which there may be via S75, but not via PayPal); if in dispute there is difficulty in asserting any legal pressure unless you are familiar with HK legal system; CS level generally poor. Pros: generally excellent pricing; no additional import fees as these are sorted prior to the goods hitting the customers' doorsteps; reasonable delivery timeframe considering the often significantly distant source warehouse.I'd suggest an across-the-board approach applicable to any purchase from a foreign supplier: only consider buying an item individually priced over £100 and only pay the trader directly by UK credit card. If those two conditions cannot be met I don't bother. Those two conditions qualify the purchase for UK-based and legally enforceable consumer protection related to delivery, items being as described and UK-based replicated merchant warrranty. TBH, there's quite a few recent threads spouting similar p&c, plus opinions.

Thanks. By direct I guess you mean not using PayPal?

Do you know if Samsung support would cover warranty on an import ?
trickytree198419/10/2019 07:55

Thanks. By direct I guess you mean not using PayPal?Do you know if Samsung …Thanks. By direct I guess you mean not using PayPal?Do you know if Samsung support would cover warranty on an import ?

"not using PayPal" = correct, although if a PayPal payment is exclusively funded by credit card and not a PayPal balance you may still be able to convince a judge that S75 had been met, but the credit card co would argue that as the cc statement showed the recipient of the funds as PP+trader it does not qualify as an exclusively direct payment so S75 not met. Some peeps seem to prefer PP protection rather than cc S75, which seems kinda weird considering PP does not provide a warranty and would be a legal nightmare to enforce whatever other protection PP claimed to offer but if chose not to provide.
Would not expect Samdung to offer a UK warranty on a grey import (disappointing as Apple provides worldwide warranty). You could ask a TD a pre-sales question of where it sourced its Samdung kit. If sourced within EU (highly unlikely) then a local UK warranty should apply (check Samdung warranty terms pre/post 31 Oct 2019 and retain copy/archive of any Samdung EU warranty applicable on day of any purchase prior to 31 Oct), plus you would get a feel for TD customer service, although pre-sales CS incentivising a purchase may not be the same as unincentivised post-purchase support.
AndyRoyd19/10/2019 10:35

"not using PayPal" = correct, although if a PayPal payment is exclusively …"not using PayPal" = correct, although if a PayPal payment is exclusively funded by credit card and not a PayPal balance you may still be able to convince a judge that S75 had been met, but the credit card co would argue that as the cc statement showed the recipient of the funds as PP+trader it does not qualify as an exclusively direct payment so S75 not met. Some peeps seem to prefer PP protection rather than cc S75, which seems kinda weird considering PP does not provide a warranty and would be a legal nightmare to enforce whatever other protection PP claimed to offer but if chose not to provide.Would not expect Samdung to offer a UK warranty on a grey import (disappointing as Apple provides worldwide warranty). You could ask a TD a pre-sales question of where it sourced its Samdung kit. If sourced within EU (highly unlikely) then a local UK warranty should apply (check Samdung warranty terms pre/post 31 Oct 2019 and retain copy/archive of any Samdung EU warranty applicable on day of any purchase prior to 31 Oct), plus you would get a feel for TD customer service, although pre-sales CS incentivising a purchase may not be the same as unincentivised post-purchase support.

Thanks for the info. Taking it that you're not a fan of Samsung lol
trickytree198419/10/2019 16:10

Thanks for the info. Taking it that you're not a fan of Samsung lol

I don't like Samdung? Generally far superior to Panachronic who, as an example of its idiocracy, actively prevent playback of MP4 from disc on its BR players, let permit the same devices to play MP4 from USB.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants