Today’s the Day (Root Canal) Best Crown?

Posted 24th Feb
What’s the best crown to get for the back molar, 2nd to the back they offered to have it removed but that’s excessive.

Which crown should I opt for?
Metal, Gold or (Porcelain supplementary £300)
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Does the appearance bother you?
acbuyer24/02/2020 09:45

Does the appearance bother you?

That could matter, but if it’s going to crack after a while I guess I should be less than bothered
This lady has a crown that no one wants... any good?

39971936-gCYxq.jpg
Porcelain for aesthetics. Gold for longevity. As it’s at the back, I’d have gold personally.
Biddy224/02/2020 10:45

Porcelain for aesthetics. Gold for longevity. As it’s at the back, I’d hav …Porcelain for aesthetics. Gold for longevity. As it’s at the back, I’d have gold personally.

Thats the choice I made. Dentist was keen for me to go porcelain (don't recall that there was a cost difference) for cosmetic reasons, but I prefered traditional.
I'd have it taken out - cheaper if you're not NHS and once it has gone no more issues. Root canal work can be painful. The one I have had out was crowned with porcelain and did last twenty+ years. Yes, teeth do move when not supported by one another, but given it is towards the back not an issue having a gap!

Bit last minute to be asking on here
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 24th Feb
mas9924/02/2020 11:27

Thats the choice I made. Dentist was keen for me to go porcelain (don't …Thats the choice I made. Dentist was keen for me to go porcelain (don't recall that there was a cost difference) for cosmetic reasons, but I prefered traditional.

Probably what’s I’m going to do.

JimboParrot24/02/2020 11:55

I'd have it taken out - cheaper if you're not NHS and once it has gone no …I'd have it taken out - cheaper if you're not NHS and once it has gone no more issues. Root canal work can be painful. The one I have had out was crowned with porcelain and did last twenty+ years. Yes, teeth do move when not supported by one another, but given it is towards the back not an issue having a gap!Bit last minute to be asking on here

Not until 4pm, plenty of time. Don’t want it pulled since I’d rather not have a tooth gap tooth
RawMukky24/02/2020 09:56

That could matter, but if it’s going to crack after a while I guess I s …That could matter, but if it’s going to crack after a while I guess I should be less than bothered

Gold may last a bit longer but a well made enamel crown should last decades. But your days of opening beer bottles with you teeth will be over
Do you have any metal fillings on the teeth above or below the crown? If so then an enamel crown is a must.
I would also take into account that as ceramics are being used more and more in dentistry, a gold crown may look even more conspicuous in 20 years time.
acbuyer24/02/2020 13:20

Gold may last a bit longer but a well made enamel crown should last …Gold may last a bit longer but a well made enamel crown should last decades. But your days of opening beer bottles with you teeth will be over Do you have any metal fillings on the teeth above or below the crown? If so then an enamel crown is a must. I would also take into account that as ceramics are being used more and more in dentistry, a gold crown may look even more conspicuous in 20 years time.

Had all my fillings replaced with composite, I could always take it out in 5 years and get something better I suppose
RawMukky24/02/2020 13:31

Had all my fillings replaced with composite, I could always take it out in …Had all my fillings replaced with composite, I could always take it out in 5 years and get something better I suppose

Gold definitely has more longevity as it is better accepted by the tissue due to its inert properties. Also it is a soft metal so it will adapt to the bite better.
Edited by: "acbuyer" 24th Feb
acbuyer24/02/2020 13:33

Gold definitely has more longevity as it is better accepted by the tissue …Gold definitely has more longevity as it is better accepted by the tissue due to its inert properties. Also it is a soft metal so it will adapt to the bite better.

Think I’ll go for gold, don’t fancy the £300 extra for the ceramic if it’s going to fail.
RawMukky24/02/2020 13:35

Think I’ll go for gold, don’t fancy the £300 extra for the ceramic if it’s …Think I’ll go for gold, don’t fancy the £300 extra for the ceramic if it’s going to fail.

Ceramic will not fail. There are pros and cons for both materials. Regardless of the material used the accuracy of the fit is everything. Use a dentist with recommendations for fitting crowns.
Edited by: "acbuyer" 24th Feb
Surely gold would have a supplement too
chocci24/02/2020 13:39

Surely gold would have a supplement too

I was told it doesn’t, as I don’t think it’s pure gold.
acbuyer24/02/2020 13:37

Ceramic will not fail. There are pros and cons for both materials. …Ceramic will not fail. There are pros and cons for both materials. Regardless of the material used the accuracy of the fit is everything. Use a dentist with recommendations for fitting crowns.

I believe as your gums recede their will be a silver line across the bottom of your gum + they chip away more of your tooth.

I’m not sure what to do. But I suppose I can get it replaced eventually
RawMukky24/02/2020 13:41

I was told it doesn’t, as I don’t think it’s pure gold. I believe as your g …I was told it doesn’t, as I don’t think it’s pure gold. I believe as your gums recede their will be a silver line across the bottom of your gum + they chip away more of your tooth.I’m not sure what to do. But I suppose I can get it replaced eventually

That’s entirely down to how the dentist prepares the tooth. If they cut a 1mm shoulder around the tooth there is sufficient room for a ceramic butt finish which will eliminate any silver line.
If the dentist cuts the tooth with a knife edge finish then there will be a silver line when the gun recedes.
With a knife edge finish the porcelain is very thin in this area and that is what can cause chipping when the ceramic flexes.
This will not happen with an all ceramic crown e.g. emax or zirconia crown as there is no metal used. With these systems the dentist would have to prep a shoulder anyway.
Also no chipping with a gold crown. What you see is what you get.
Can't actually be gold as it is a very soft metal!

I had a porcelain crown fitted in the mid 1990's after root canal work and it just failed 12 months ago - it was what was left of my tooth that snapped. I guess modern day crowns should perform even better.
acbuyer24/02/2020 13:49

That’s entirely down to how the dentist prepares the tooth. If they cut a 1 …That’s entirely down to how the dentist prepares the tooth. If they cut a 1mm shoulder around the tooth there is sufficient room for a ceramic butt finish which will eliminate any silver line. If the dentist cuts the tooth with a knife edge finish then there will be a silver line when the gun recedes.With a knife edge finish the porcelain is very thin in this area and that is what can cause chipping when the ceramic flexes. This will not happen with an all ceramic crown e.g. emax or zirconia crown as there is no metal used. With these systems the dentist would have to prep a shoulder anyway. Also no chipping with a gold crown. What you see is what you get.

So what would you say to do? You’ve put me in a difficult position !
Completely an individual choice but personally I would have a bonded ceramic crown purely because of how how it looks.
My first choice is usually all ceramic but if you are having root canal treatment then bonded is best.
Nothing wrong at all with gold but looks wise it is a bit 1970s. Just my personal preference though.
acbuyer24/02/2020 13:33

Gold definitely has more longevity as it is better accepted by the tissue …Gold definitely has more longevity as it is better accepted by the tissue due to its inert properties. Also it is a soft metal so it will adapt to the bite better.

Now you've reminded me - that was a factor in my decision. deep bite and some grinding when stressed.
mas9924/02/2020 16:09

Now you've reminded me - that was a factor in my decision. deep bite and …Now you've reminded me - that was a factor in my decision. deep bite and some grinding when stressed.

Good point well made
Unfortunately it didn’t go well as the anaesthetic wasn’t working whilst checking the root sizing (sharp pain which shouldn’t of been felt.
So didn’t go well as he hoped due toI having an abscess which I’ve now been prescribed antibiotics.
RawMukky24/02/2020 16:50

Unfortunately it didn’t go well as the anaesthetic wasn’t working whilst ch …Unfortunately it didn’t go well as the anaesthetic wasn’t working whilst checking the root sizing (sharp pain which shouldn’t of been felt.So didn’t go well as he hoped due toI having an abscess which I’ve now been prescribed antibiotics.

Ouch!! Good luck.
RawMukky24/02/2020 16:50

Unfortunately it didn’t go well as the anaesthetic wasn’t working whilst ch …Unfortunately it didn’t go well as the anaesthetic wasn’t working whilst checking the root sizing (sharp pain which shouldn’t of been felt.So didn’t go well as he hoped due toI having an abscess which I’ve now been prescribed antibiotics.

Sorry to hear that. I feel for you. Hope it clears up quickly and you can get it all sorted.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants