Toilet cistern: Black oily water

Posted 1st Feb
The water in my toilet cistern is a dark colour - looks like it is oily.

Any ideas what may be the cause of this?

House has been empty for a while so the mains water has been turned off and the toilet not used in that time.

Hopefully, the house should be let in the next week or so but wanted to see if this is a potential problem so that I can sort before tenants arrive.

3399495-TG9Rg.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
I’m guessing mould? You could drain it and once full maybe drop a Milton tablet in, assuming that won’t damage the seals.

To fully drain it, a wet and dry vacuum is handy if you have one for diy jobs. Obviously empty the vacuum tank so you don’t get the mould in that!
Edited by: "slippers1977" 1st Feb
I’m thinking mould. Empty the tank, get some vinegar and give it a good scrub, refill and flush. Hopefully that will sort it
have you tried flushing it and see if the new water that fills up is the same colour?
As above clean it and then put in a loo blu or something like it.
I use the lemon Loo bloo, nice smell.

Bloo Citrus Zest In Cistern Toilet Block 2 pack.
Cost about a pound.
Fyi, I bought a new flush unit recently, and it started emphatically that any warranty would be void if a cistern loo block was used.
Bleach left to soak should clear it up
esar02/02/2020 02:48

Fyi, I bought a new flush unit recently, and it started emphatically that …Fyi, I bought a new flush unit recently, and it started emphatically that any warranty would be void if a cistern loo block was used.Bleach left to soak should clear it up

Thats new never heard of that before.
Had a new toilet fitted last year and was told to use it by fitter.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants