Toilet constantly leaking water into the bowl

Found 16th Sep 2017
A few months ago i noticed the toilet occasionally leaking water into the bowl but now theres a constant steady flow of water into the bowl.

Is this some sort of component failure?

Is this something i can try fix myself?
Community Updates
Ask
28 Comments
It will certainly be a DIY job.
Have you looked inside the cistern?
Yes...i cant see whats wrong with it though.....everything looks in tact
New toilets don't have overflows to the outside but into the bowl take the lid off the cistern and adjust the water level down. If you can't adjust it then you may nee to replace parts.
Hi Ran123Ran - are you on a "Water Meter". If you are on a water meter, I would suggest you get this fixed ASAP, by getting someone in otherwise you will be faced with a big water bill
mine does this sometimes, its a type of loo with a button on the cistern, when it happens its usually caused by that button not returning to the correct position
Dundawala17 m ago

Hi Ran123Ran - are you on a "Water Meter". If you are on a water meter, I …Hi Ran123Ran - are you on a "Water Meter". If you are on a water meter, I would suggest you get this fixed ASAP, by getting someone in otherwise you will be faced with a big water bill

Hi...not on water meter
jase.214 m ago

mine does this sometimes, its a type of loo with a button on the cistern, …mine does this sometimes, its a type of loo with a button on the cistern, when it happens its usually caused by that button not returning to the correct position

The buttons look ok, they are returning back to normal position like they have always done.
deleted1597344
You probably require the following screwfix.com/p/f…963

I had exactly the same problem, I changed that seal which fixed the issue.
That could be the answer as when we looked at it earlier the rubber bit was a bit blistery on the edge but not broken......we didnt think it would be an issue but reading one of the screwfix reviews suggests the blistering is a problem.
Edited by: "ran123ran" 16th Sep 2017
As already suggested above, have you tried adjusting the water level in the Cistern down? Just in case the water is overflowing into the pan.
inside the cistern there might be a manufactured water level mark on the China ware (usually on the back wall), if it's above the line try twiddling the long spiralled plastic tube either up or down (might have to take the inlet arm off first). Worth trying first rather than replacing the seal.
Just make sure the water is turned off into the cistern first!
Does it stop filling if you 'wiggle' the flush button? We had this issue, solved by unscrewing slightly the flush button (about 1/4 turn).
We tried turning water off to see if it was waterflow problem but the water still kept flowing from cistern into bowl even though the cistern wasnt being refilled.
Take a lot of pictures with a ruler as a guide for important bits, go to your local DIY store, talk to the resident plumber, buy the recommended cistern, watch YouTube for DIY or call a few plumbers on checkatrade and ask them to install. Will take them 15 mins and cost you around £60.
wasabimaster12 m ago

Take a lot of pictures with a ruler as a guide for important bits, go to …Take a lot of pictures with a ruler as a guide for important bits, go to your local DIY store, talk to the resident plumber, buy the recommended cistern, watch YouTube for DIY or call a few plumbers on checkatrade and ask them to install. Will take them 15 mins and cost you around £60.

Bit extreme, buying a new cistern. I'm sure it's just a simple repair and far cheaper than £60.
Got the very same issue - following....
Sounds like your cistern diaphragm has failed. It's not an expensive part as long as it's a standard unit and not some weird standard
deleted1597344
ran123ran2 h, 20 m ago

That could be the answer as when we looked at it earlier the rubber bit …That could be the answer as when we looked at it earlier the rubber bit was a bit blistery on the edge but not broken......we didnt think it would be an issue but reading one of the screwfix reviews suggests the blistering is a problem.

That is correct the rubber seal perishes over time, causing the continuous water leaking into the bowl. I'm quite confident that will be your issue, it is very easy to change so well worth trying that first for the sake of £2.99.
Same thing I had

Dyno rod come out and the seal was worn at the bottom
This is a job that I and many other will have done before but it's difficult to give detailed advice when we can't visualise what you have.
Can you post up a picture of the inside of the cistern?
Had a similar thing recently and it was due to the rubber seal/diaphram on the inlet water pipe having a small hole in it. Cost about £3 to sort out after buying a replacement from ebay.
ran123ran8 h, 8 m ago

We tried turning water off to see if it was waterflow problem but the …We tried turning water off to see if it was waterflow problem but the water still kept flowing from cistern into bowl even though the cistern wasnt being refilled.

Definitely a siphon failure then. You'll need something like this depending on your toilet

screwfix.com/p/f…173

A fairly easy but messy and time consuming diy job as you have to remove the cistern
Even if you have to change the whole thing it'll only cost you £17.69 for the inlet and dual flush. Not a particularly hard job, Unless the cistern is attached to the toilet bowl, In that case you might have to remove the cistern to replace the dual flush.

Took me about 20 minutes to do mine and I'm a total novice.
chocci4 h, 19 m ago

Definitely a siphon failure then. You'll need something like this …Definitely a siphon failure then. You'll need something like this depending on your toilethttp://www.screwfix.com/p/fluidmaster-push-button-cable-dual-flush-valve/51173A fairly easy but messy and time consuming diy job as you have to remove the cistern

Why is it messy?
ran123ran1 h, 33 m ago

Why is it messy?

Having to remove an old cistern isn't that pleasant and I mean messy by water left in the cistern leaking out when you lift it

YouTube replacing a siphon
Edited by: "chocci" 17th Sep 2017
ran123ran2 h, 24 m ago

Why is it messy?

Have you actually tried adjusting the float in the cistern like we have mentioned a few times, just switching off the water won't stop the water if you are above the water line. If the problem isn't the filler and the level which could be separate to the flush mechanism it shouldn't take long to replace it disconnect the water flush the cistern and replace by unscrewing the old mechanism but if the inlet filler is separate and you haven't adjusted it you will need to on the new flush mechanism as the level may be different. Have a look at if the float is higher than the flush mechanism if it is then just adjust it down.
The cistern drained to almost the very bottom with constant flow into the bowl. Once it was pretty much empty the leak stopped.
Thanks everyone for their replies/input. I thought i would give you an update re this issue.
We have sorted the problem.....we changed the rubber seal to the 2.99 one from screw fix.
It took us no more than 10-15 minutes from start to finish.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants