Posted 21st Nov 2021
Our toilet has a lock like below and the lock bit (second one in the pic) won't turn from in or outside.

Any idea how we can go about dealing with this please without spending a fortune or having to replace the door?

3830052_1.jpg
Update

Sorry I should've been more clearer, the door is shut and it's on the first floor. yesterday we had to use the window to come out as someone was trapped inside so though not easy, we can go back in.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

Groups

Top comments
just replace lock, unscrewed handles will give you access looks like this one from Screwfix will do screwfix.com/p/s…20g put you will need to measure to see if it fits/same size easy DIY job watch YouTube video.
24 Comments
  1. Avatar
    just replace lock, unscrewed handles will give you access looks like this one from Screwfix will do screwfix.com/p/s…20g put you will need to measure to see if it fits/same size easy DIY job watch YouTube video.
  2. Avatar
    If the door is open, replace the lock. If it's closed and locked - you have problems..
  3. Avatar
    If the door is closed and you cant open it after removing handles, as mention above thats an issue its either destroy the door or the frame, which evers cheapest.
  4. Avatar
    it's broke or it needs to be oiled. you can take the lock out and open it up to see if you can put some grease on the lock if you feel inclined to do that.

youbube.
  5. Avatar
    Cut the hinges off or remove the hinge pin then remove the door to access the lock and replace as suggested above. Not difficult.

Hinges are easily replaced.
    Edited by: "deleted2402824" 21st Nov 2021
  6. Avatar
    mutley121/11/2021 09:55

it's broke or it needs to be oiled. you can take the lock out and open it …it's broke or it needs to be oiled. you can take the lock out and open it up to see if you can put some grease on the lock if you feel inclined to do that.youbube.

don't put grease on locks - use graphite
  7. Avatar
    Mark_Hickman21/11/2021 09:48

If the door is closed and you cant open it after removing handles, as …If the door is closed and you cant open it after removing handles, as mention above thats an issue its either destroy the door or the frame, which evers cheapest.

you can break the lock, cheaper than destroying the door or frame. a locksmith can do this easily or if the OP is inclined to do it himself, he can youtube.

best to find the best position to drill as that will break the lock quickly with just one drill hole.

mas9921/11/2021 09:56

don't put grease on locks - use graphite

i have always used general purpose grease on locks and they work fine.
    Edited by: "mutley1" 21st Nov 2021
  8. Avatar
    mutley121/11/2021 09:57

you can break the lock, cheaper than destroying the door or frame. a …you can break the lock, cheaper than destroying the door or frame. a locksmith can do this easily or if the OP is inclined to do it himself, he can youtube.best to find the best position to drill as that will break the lock quickly with just one drill hole.i have always used general purpose grease on locks and they work fine.

Best to just remove the hinge pin or cut the hinge. Door can be removed then even if locked without drilling holes or damaging frame/door.
  9. Avatar
    deleted240282421/11/2021 09:59

Best to just remove the hinge pin or cut the hinge. Door can be removed …Best to just remove the hinge pin or cut the hinge. Door can be removed then even if locked.

you can't get access to the door hinges if the door is closed.
  10. Avatar
    mutley121/11/2021 10:00

you can't get access to the door hinges if the door is closed.

If it’s locked and closed someone must be trapped and can open a window allowing access. I can gain access to mine on one side even when closed.

46139004_1.jpg

46139004_1.jpg

46139004-PYgro.jpg
  11. Avatar
    deleted240282421/11/2021 10:00

If it’s locked and closed someone must be trapped and can open a window a …If it’s locked and closed someone must be trapped and can open a window allowing access. I can gain access to mine on one side even when closed.

if the toilet is upstairs, i wouldn't be inclined to climb through any window! the hinge pin is on the inside of the door, not the outside.

it is actually very easy to break a lock by drilling it, this is how a locksmith get them open.
    Edited by: "mutley1" 21st Nov 2021
  12. Avatar
    mutley121/11/2021 10:03

if the toilet is upstairs, i wouldn't be inclined to climb through any …if the toilet is upstairs, i wouldn't be inclined to climb through any window! the hinge pin is on the inside of the door, not the outside.it is actually very easy to break a lock by drilling it, this is how a locksmith get them open.

Don’t doubt that but as shown above if you have these type of hinges it’s easier and no damage. Literally door off in the time it would take you to get a drill out, if someone is trapped passing them a screwdriver through the window is easy too.
  13. Avatar
    deleted240282421/11/2021 10:05

Don’t doubt that but as shown above if you have these type of hinges it’s e …Don’t doubt that but as shown above if you have these type of hinges it’s easier and no damage. Literally door off in the time it would take you to get a drill out, if someone is trapped passing them a screwdriver through the window is easy too.

i have never knocked out a hinge pin so i don't know how easy it is to do without damaging the door as the hinge could be very stiff. even if you do manage to remove the pins, the lock is still in the door holding it fast so you would need to prize out the door.
  14. Avatar
    mutley121/11/2021 10:09

i have never knocked out a hinge pin so i don't know how easy it is to do …i have never knocked out a hinge pin so i don't know how easy it is to do without damaging the door as the hinge could be very stiff. even if you do manage to remove the pins, the lock is still in the door holding it fast so you would need to prize out the door.

Lock would have enough wriggle room, I’ve never seen an internal door that is that tight and metal plates would easily bend especially on modern doors.

The pins just push up with a screwdriver, worst case you spray a bit of wd40 to loosen it and pull out with some long nosed pliers.

You’d only need enough play for the door to clear the frame and then pull backwards away from the lock.
  15. Avatar
    Author
    mutley121/11/2021 09:57

you can break the lock, cheaper than destroying the door or frame. a …you can break the lock, cheaper than destroying the door or frame. a locksmith can do this easily or if the OP is inclined to do it himself, he can youtube.best to find the best position to drill as that will break the lock quickly with just one drill hole.i have always used general purpose grease on locks and they work fine.

Is there any YouTube video you can recommend please to break the lock, I am going to try unpinning the hinges from inside first, if not then next would be to break the lock.
  16. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2121/11/2021 11:50

Is there any YouTube video you can recommend please to break the lock, I …Is there any YouTube video you can recommend please to break the lock, I am going to try unpinning the hinges from inside first, if not then next would be to break the lock.

Spray the hinges and the lock area with WD40 or similar, should make it easier and pull the handle down or get someone on other side of door to do that when you release the hinges.

Let us know how you got on.
  17. Avatar
    deleted240282421/11/2021 09:59

Best to just remove the hinge pin or cut the hinge. Door can be removed …Best to just remove the hinge pin or cut the hinge. Door can be removed then even if locked without drilling holes or damaging frame/door.

I assumed no one was inside as they didn't mention it so no access to hinges unless the windows been left open. But removing the hinge pin is 100% the best outcome if possible
  18. Avatar
    Author
    Mark_Hickman21/11/2021 11:59

I assumed no one was inside as they didn't mention it so no access to …I assumed no one was inside as they didn't mention it so no access to hinges unless the windows been left open. But removing the hinge pin is 100% the best outcome if possible

Someone was in and they had to use the window to climb out so we can go back in.
  19. Avatar
    I've used a jigsaw with a metal blade that would fit in the door jamb gap to saw through the bolts on concealed mortice deadbolts that had broken off locked in wooden doors, once on my own front door, and once for a neighbour. The saw had to be tilted forward as blade was too long. A multitool with a metal blade would be better, but I didn't have one at the time.

Another option is to attack or knock out the hinge pins.
    Edited by: "melted" 21st Nov 2021
  20. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2121/11/2021 12:08

Someone was in and they had to use the window to climb out so we can go …Someone was in and they had to use the window to climb out so we can go back in.

If you decide to climb back in through the window and remove the hinge pins, have someone available on the outside of the door to give it a hard shove on the hinge side once you've got the pins out, you'll find thats a lot easier than trying to pull the door towards you from the inside because you won't have much to grab hold of.
    Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 21st Nov 2021
  21. Avatar
    BobbyBoy2121/11/2021 11:50

Is there any YouTube video you can recommend please to break the lock, I …Is there any YouTube video you can recommend please to break the lock, I am going to try unpinning the hinges from inside first, if not then next would be to break the lock.

here is one. it states you must identify the exact point of drilling, so this is where a locksmith knowledge is required unless you can find the location for your lock on google.

22. Avatar
    mutley121/11/2021 12:56

here is one. it states you must identify the exact point of drilling, so …here is one. it states you must identify the exact point of drilling, so this is where a locksmith knowledge is required unless you can find the location for your lock on google.[Video]

That's a lever lock, I think what he is doing there is lifting the lock levers through his hole so he can slide back the locking bolt using the keyhole without the correct key.

Here's a view of the insides of one type of a bathroom privacy lock.

One thought, if the square shaft for the privacy catch is on the small size for the lock, then the corners may have just worn off and all you'd need to do is remove the handles or knob and turn the square hole it doesn't fit properly in with a screwdriver to unlock it.

Edited by: "melted" 21st Nov 2021
  23. Avatar
    deleted240282421/11/2021 11:53

Spray the hinges and the lock area with WD40 or similar, should make it …Spray the hinges and the lock area with WD40 or similar, should make it easier and pull the handle down or get someone on other side of door to do that when you release the hinges.Let us know how you got on.

DO NOT use WD40 as a lubricant. I just posted in the other lock thread about this. WD40 is a water dispersant. Thats what the wd stands for. The 40 is because it was the 40th attempt or formula that worked. Its for things like car Engines as a damp start and things outside.

To loosen seized up metal you need a deep penetrating lubricant that is formulated for that. Again mostly used in engineering and machinery circles.

Try DP60 maintenance spray. A deep penetrating lubricant specifically for loosening rusted or seized up things.
  24. Avatar
    Is it actually locked and won't unlock or just the handle won't turn enough for the spring loaded catch to allow the door to open? If the latter you can remove the handle and use a spanner on the square bar which opens the catch, this allows you to turn the bar more than the handle would, or use a thin knife and slide it into the gap where the catch is and push the catch back until the door opens.
    If it's the first senario, kick the door in.
Post a comment
Top Merchants