Toilet fill valve help

Posted 16th Apr
Hello,

This morning one of my toilets was making a loud hissing after flushing. Removed top of cistern and hissing was caused by a weak spray of water coming from the location of the fill valve (I believe, I'm no expert so not sure if correct terminology). The toilet therefore took a long time to refill as it was only this light spray that was doing any filling, it did stop filling once the float thing underneath it moved up.

I did a quick google and basic solution was to disassemble and give the valve a clean. Which I did. Photo attached shows the valve seal, it has a hole in it, I assume this is the cause of the problem and the seal should not have a hole?

In the cleaning process I think I have made the hole worse, as reasembled the spray is now stronger and noisier, the toilet still takes a long time to fill and the float does not rise and stop the fill of the tank (even If I pull the little stem to its highest level the spray continues.

I've resorted to turning off the water to the toilet (the stop cock drips a little so I've had to stick a bucket under for now).

Any advice? If I just buy another valve seal should that in theory fix the problem?3442751-9kv5r.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
Yes you are correct,you will not be able to buy just the seal but can buy the full unit from screwfix / toolstation approx £10 (they are still selling these due to covid 19) easily replaced with the water turned off.
The water would normally fill from the bottom of the unit but this is not being achieved due to the hole in the seal.
You've got it. Look for a siamp diaphragm washer. Screwfix, eBay etc.
Also any idea how to get the stopcock leaking? It's plastic, turn to close, but then it leaks a stream of water, you then push it in and leaking stops except for a drip, can't see any way to tighten it further to prevent the final drip. The drip comes from the bottom of the turn handle itself

It would be much easier to have it fully off then I can just leave this toilet for a few days rather than constantly checking the bucket (which is propped awkwardly so it catches the drip) and could fall over quite easily. Pic attached.40428618-iYLJa.jpg
1850maggie16/04/2020 10:20

Yes you are correct,you will not be able to buy just the seal but can buy …Yes you are correct,you will not be able to buy just the seal but can buy the full unit from screwfix / toolstation approx £10 (they are still selling these due to covid 19) easily replaced with the water turned off.The water would normally fill from the bottom of the unit but this is not being achieved due to the hole in the seal.

Actually you can buy them from Screwfix. I fixed one recently.
Thanks .I didn't know that
AC-ZEP-GEN-DC16/04/2020 10:20

You've got it. Look for a siamp diaphragm washer. Screwfix, eBay etc.

Thanks for quick response, I assume its a standard size? or will I have to get it out and measure it?
.MUFC.16/04/2020 10:29

Not cheap though at nearly £5 here

Personally at that price I would change the whole unit,but for quickness I can see why someone would just do the seal.
Cameron9216/04/2020 10:28

Thanks for quick response, I assume its a standard size? or will I have to …Thanks for quick response, I assume its a standard size? or will I have to get it out and measure it?

They're universal, this should fit.

Sometimes it's better to just buy a new fill valve though. You can get them for under £10. You would need a bottom fill valve although the rubber Diaphragm will solve the problem.
I’ve just fixed ours a couple of months ago. I’m sure I bought the seals of eBay, there are different sorts depending on your fittings but you’ll spot one that matches easily ..... I’ve just had a look through my purchase history but unfortunately can’t find the link
1850maggie16/04/2020 10:34

Personally at that price I would change the whole unit,but for quickness I …Personally at that price I would change the whole unit,but for quickness I can see why someone would just do the seal.

Agreed, seems false economy when other fill valves are so cheap. I fixed my mil's, takes 2 minutes rather than the 10 minutes it takes to change the whole thing lol. Think they'll be much cheaper on ebay but that would mean waiting etc..
Cheapest on Ebay here
.MUFC.16/04/2020 10:41

Agreed, seems false economy when other fill valves are so cheap. I fixed …Agreed, seems false economy when other fill valves are so cheap. I fixed my mil's, takes 2 minutes rather than the 10 minutes it takes to change the whole thing lol. Think they'll be much cheaper on ebay but that would mean waiting etc..

Yeah I imagine ebay or amazon there will be quite a wait, screwfix can click and collect today.

How much of a task is replacing the whole unit (and what's it name?) I'm a complete DIY amateur... is it just a screw out old and screw in new? Or I'm gonna have to seal it etc to make sure no leaks?
Cameron9216/04/2020 10:47

Yeah I imagine ebay or amazon there will be quite a wait, screwfix can …Yeah I imagine ebay or amazon there will be quite a wait, screwfix can click and collect today.How much of a task is replacing the whole unit (and what's it name?) I'm a complete DIY amateur... is it just a screw out old and screw in new? Or I'm gonna have to seal it etc to make sure no leaks?

It's not particularly difficult, you pretty much drain it off, I use old towels etc, Unscrew the inlet pipe. Then undo the nut on the fill valve. Think there is a rubber washer either side. Ideally you want a fill valve that is similar size to the one you've currently got or smaller etc.. You can adjust them for water level etc. Some are quieter than others too so maybe look at the reviews.
.MUFC.16/04/2020 10:45

Cheapest on Ebay here

Cheers ordered, fixed that the toilet will stop filling (stalk thing was attached to wrong part of the float stem (again sorry for poort terminology) as such can make do for a few days with 1 of my toilets being very slow/noisy to refill. Saves me going out to screwfix to collect to.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions