Toilet handle? Plumbing advice please?!

Found 21st Dec 2012
Advice on toilet handles/fittings, please! Our toilet handle broke so we got a new one from Screwfix, complete with fittings for less than a fiver.

Problem is that the round threaded plastic/nylon part which fits THROUGH the hole in the cistern is obviously just a weeny bit bigger. It looks the same diameter and the plastic nut type thingy which screws onto it is the same size as the last one but it won't actually fit through. OH has used brute force to get it a tiny bit of the way but the plastic threaded part has smoothed down where he has forced it through so the nut wouldn't go on anyway although I don't think that would matter. Still a couple of cm out - he wants to try to hammer it through but don't think that's a good idea! Used 3-in-1 and also Vaseline but still not budging.

Do they come in marginally different sizes?
Community Updates
MiscToilet Cleaner
13 Comments
"Do they come in marginally different sizes?"

Hmm, obviously; otherwise you wouldnt have had an original handle Was the handle made by Apple Inc?

just buy another elsewhere thats easily returnable if unsuitable and save a potential world of grief.

Edited by: "csiman" 21st Dec 2012
Do not force it through, I had the same problem. I ordered a universal handle from Radio Spares.

I think it was this one uk.rs-online.com/web…08/ you will see in the picture, there is a second plastic insert, so depending on the hole, you fit the correct plastic bit.
bubblegum2910

Do not force it through, I had the same problem. I ordered a universal … Do not force it through, I had the same problem. I ordered a universal handle from Radio Spares.I think it was this one http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/toilet-cistern-accessories/4453408/ you will see in the picture, there is a second plastic insert, so depending on the hole, you fit the correct plastic bit.

Thanks for that - I take it that the plastic parts are easy to swap over if needed? I had thought about using the original but can't figure how to get it off - maybe being stupid but it doesn't look like there's a way to do so.
Lou Scotland

Thanks for that - I take it that the plastic parts are easy to swap over … Thanks for that - I take it that the plastic parts are easy to swap over if needed? I had thought about using the original but can't figure how to get it off - maybe being stupid but it doesn't look like there's a way to do so.

measure the hole as the one above fits either a 3/8" or 1/2" hole.
Easy to swap over plastic bit. See which one fits through the hole, no need to measure.

I think minimum spend at RS, £10, plus delivery I think.
csiman

measure the hole as the one above fits either a 3/8" or 1/2" hole.

Thank you - this is measuring 2cm or just over 3/4" hole
bubblegum2910

Easy to swap over plastic bit. See which one fits through the hole, no … Easy to swap over plastic bit. See which one fits through the hole, no need to measure. I think minimum spend at RS, £10, plus delivery I think.

Thank you.
Simple, get a small hammer and a sharp chisel and open the hole in the cistern out until the plastic part fits.
greg_68

Simple, get a small hammer and a sharp chisel and open the hole in the … Simple, get a small hammer and a sharp chisel and open the hole in the cistern out until the plastic part fits.

Tempted to try this because didn't have time to get another one today, but OH can be a bit heavy handed, he might have the cistern in little porcelain pieces...!
greg_68

Simple, get a small hammer and a sharp chisel and open the hole in the … Simple, get a small hammer and a sharp chisel and open the hole in the cistern out until the plastic part fits.

Took your advice but in reverse! We pared down the plastic part with a sharp knife until it fitted the hole, it didn't take much and the job was done in 5 minutes. There is obviously no thread now for the nut but it's a snug fit and we are hoping to get a new bathroom soon anyway. It fits perfectly, works perfectly, and all is well now....thank you!

Used 3-in-1 and also Vaseline

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lkiozfzWq51qj2wv1o1_250.gif
Edited by: "greatest666" 23rd Dec 2012
greatest666

What exactly is your husband trying to fit into the hole?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants