Toilet not flushing enough water to clear it

Posted 30th Oct
We have a toilet with a concealed cistern.The enclosure which it’s In is large but when you take the life off the cistern inside is small.Its that small that when we flush it it doesn’t get rid of the solid waste including toilet paper.We have to flush it several times.
Is it possible to swap the cistern to a larger one or is the cistern size linked to the size of the toilet pan.The toilet seems to me like a regular size.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Does the cistern fill to the expected level? If not then adjust the fill level, usually a plastic screw type fitting.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 30th Oct
17 Comments
Does the bowl appear to fill up with water more than usual, when a builder put in a downstairs toilet, the big outlet pipe was going up hill slightly (the bowl level would need to fill more to overcome this)
Could it be partially blocked, having the same effect?
esar30/10/2019 05:30

Does the bowl appear to fill up with water more than usual, when a builder …Does the bowl appear to fill up with water more than usual, when a builder put in a downstairs toilet, the big outlet pipe was going up hill slightly (the bowl level would need to fill more to overcome this)Could it be partially blocked, having the same effect?

Don’t think it’s blocked.We had the bathroom refitted about 2 years ago and the old traditional toilet flushed perfectly but this has been like this since day one.Nothing has been changed regarding outlet pipes as far as I know
Does the cistern fill to the expected level? If not then adjust the fill level, usually a plastic screw type fitting.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 30th Oct
screwfix sell concealed cisterns you should be able to fit a larger one as long as you have space
Nice to know that you have solids as for the toilet if you don't know what you are doing get a plumber
scorpio.iscariot30/10/2019 05:57

Don’t think it’s blocked.We had the bathroom refitted about 2 years ago and …Don’t think it’s blocked.We had the bathroom refitted about 2 years ago and the old traditional toilet flushed perfectly but this has been like this since day one.Nothing has been changed regarding outlet pipes as far as I know

Does the toilet bowl fill up with water a bit though?
Edited by: "esar" 30th Oct
mikeportsmouth30/10/2019 06:03

screwfix sell concealed cisterns you should be able to fit a larger one as …screwfix sell concealed cisterns you should be able to fit a larger one as long as you have space

I’d say the cistern takes up about one third of the space within the unit
esar30/10/2019 06:07

Does the toilet bowl fill up with water a bit though?

It doesn’t “fill” unless there’s a lot of paper in the toilet which needs flushing.I seem to remember the plumber who fitted it said that these new eco friendly toilets have a tendency to “wash” the toilet paper rather than flushing it.
Easily sorted , just fit a bigger one , if it supplies too much water to the bowl just reduce the water level in the cistern
Most are 6 litre though so check yours
Most relevant question & answer goes unanswered

cmdr_elito
38 m agoDoes the cistern fill to the expected level? If not then adjust the fill level, usually a plastic screw type fitting.
Edited by: "chocci" 30th Oct
See if anything mentioned in this video helps
Edited by: "esar" 30th Oct
Scoliosis_Warrior30/10/2019 04:11

Nice to know that you have solids as for the toilet if you don't know what …Nice to know that you have solids as for the toilet if you don't know what you are doing get a plumber

That obviously didn't work that well the first time round though did it!
Test if the dual flush is working too, you might be doing a half flush without realising it
I have a toilet similar to what you are talking about. They do not have the most powerful flush as they are small and designed to save water and space. Only thing you can do is rip it out and buy a full size cistern or get a decent bog brush
Could you be pressing the button wrongly, see picture
38846900-1pLG1.jpg
Thanks for the comments.I’ll look at the cistern to see if any adjustments can be made to it but from what I remember the thing is tiny so I’m probably thinking I’ll be needing a larger cistern
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants