Toll on M42 motorway

Found 1st May 2016
We went to Birmingham this morning via the M25 from Surrey which then goes to the M40. We also went on the M42 which the satnav seems to indicate in one area that we were passing a toll but there was no toll booth and all there was, were those motorway cameras high up.

Is our satnav wrong? Googling seems to indicate that the M42 toll is a toll booth where you drive through which we didn't do so. I don't know if there is a toll where you pay over the internet like the London congestion charge? However there were no signs to say we were on a toll road except one sign on the side of the motorway that seems to indicate toll ahead but we expected a booth area?
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
No, is def a toll booth that you can't miss or drive through without realising. Sat navs sometimes have a great imagination.
Original Poster
missleading

The toll is on the M6, which links the M42 to the south of Birmingham … The toll is on the M6, which links the M42 to the south of Birmingham with the M6 to the north.

but are there toll gates that you drive through where you can make payment? i would expect to see this with signs for prices like the dartford crossing or the severn bridge crossing for example.

we just drove on a motorway and there were no gates where the satnav states that there were toll, no sign with prices or anything. i just don't want to have been caught on camera and i need to pay on a website or something like that.
The toll is on the M6, not on the M42. Maybe the signs were giving warning to the toll on the M6.
The m6 toll and m42 share a short stretch of motorway. You won't be charged as long as you followed the signs for m42.

In any case the toll is paid by paying through a toll booth.
Original Poster
Taliban_Army

The toll is on the M6, not on the M42. Maybe the signs were giving … The toll is on the M6, not on the M42. Maybe the signs were giving warning to the toll on the M6.

do you know if the toll on the M6 has toll gates?
mutley1

but are there toll gates that you drive through where you can make … but are there toll gates that you drive through where you can make payment? i would expect to see this with signs for prices like the dartford crossing or the severn bridge crossing for example.we just drove on a motorway and there were no gates where the satnav states that there were toll, no sign with prices or anything. i just don't want to have been caught on camera and i need to pay on a website or something like that.

At this point, I should remind you that the Dartford crossing no longer has toll gates that you make payment at
Original Poster
Firefly1

At this point, I should remind you that the Dartford crossing no longer … At this point, I should remind you that the Dartford crossing no longer has toll gates that you make payment at

really? it was many years ago i went past there and there were toll gates. are there signs and prices displayed any more around that area now?
mutley1

really? it was many years ago i went past there and there were toll … really? it was many years ago i went past there and there were toll gates. are there signs and prices displayed any more around that area now?

Partly to ease the congestion queuing at the toll booths, it's now all done by vehicle registration recording & then pay online.
I imagine there's loads of signs - they also had to be lenient for ages after it was implemented as still very few people realised they had to pay online and so a massive number of people weren't paying in the days following the removal of the booths

EDIT: No doubt it's a huge money maker though in terms of fines. £35 PCN if paid within 14 days of the charge / £70 if not (You must pay effectively within 24 hours of crossing the bridge to not receive a penalty charge notice)
Edited by: "Firefly1" 1st May 2016
Original Poster
wobinb

The m6 toll and m42 share a short stretch of motorway. You won't be … The m6 toll and m42 share a short stretch of motorway. You won't be charged as long as you followed the signs for m42. In any case the toll is paid by paying through a toll booth.

this was the route A38(M)->M6->M42->M40 but we didn't drive past any toll gates.
no toll on that route, in any case you can't miss the toll booths
Original Poster
wobinb

no toll on that route, in any case you can't miss the toll booths

thanks, i went on the m6 toll website and it states that you pay at the toll gates and it showed a photo of the gates. it didn't say you had 24 hours to pay afterwards which would indicate electronic tags and payment later.

it also had a map section of the toll which is only a small stretch of the M6 and not the whole of the M6. the satnav may have just not been sophisticated enough to know which section of the M6 was the toll section so it displayed toll for the journey as we were on the M6 for a short stretch from the A38 to the M42.

however we were a lot further south of the M6 toll section. i have now programmed the satnav to avoid toll roads for any future doubt.
mutley1

do you know if the toll on the M6 has toll gates?

It does. You absolutely cannot miss them.
Only part of the M6 has a toll which is paid at the toll gates. It avoids the congestion around Birmingham and I feel is good value for money. Car costs £5.20 on weekdays and £4.50 on weekends.
sat nav probs telling you about toll on m6.
if u were on the toll section then u would have defo gone through the toll booths.
sabp

Only part of the M6 has a toll which is paid at the toll gates. It avoids … Only part of the M6 has a toll which is paid at the toll gates. It avoids the congestion around Birmingham and I feel is good value for money. Car costs £5.20 on weekdays and £4.50 on weekends.

​fair enough if it was every now and then, but would you still say the same if the m6 toll formed part of your daily commute to work etc. and you had to pay it every day?
mutley1

We went to Birmingham this morning via the M25 from Surrey which … We went to Birmingham this morning via the M25 from Surrey which then goes to the M40. We also went on the M42 which the satnav seems to indicate in one area that we were passing a toll but there was no toll booth and all there was, were those motorway cameras high up.Is our satnav wrong? Googling seems to indicate that the M42 toll is a toll booth where you drive through which we didn't do so. I don't know if there is a toll where you pay over the internet like the London congestion charge? However there were no signs to say we were on a toll road except one sign on the side of the motorway that seems to indicate toll ahead but we expected a booth area?

hi, i use the m6 from wolves through birmingham, on to m42 and m40. When joining the m42 from the a38 just make sure you keep to the right and not to the left else youll be taken on to the m6 toll, m6 toll is a private road
Regarding the M25 Dartford crossing - unfortunately the toll it not well signposted. There are a few large signs on the approach that do not list the toll charges but only instruct you to visit the government website to pay the charge and to find out further information. The toll booths have been removed but the barriers still remain obviously to slow the traffic down to capture the registration plate numbers. The traffic jams still exist especially late Friday afternoons.
wobinb

The m6 toll and m42 share a short stretch of motorway. You won't be … The m6 toll and m42 share a short stretch of motorway. You won't be charged as long as you followed the signs for m42. In any case the toll is paid by paying through a toll booth.

this ^^

you will not be charged a toll if you did not pass through a toll booth

EliTom
Original Poster
Toptrumpet

Regarding the M25 Dartford crossing - unfortunately the toll it not well … Regarding the M25 Dartford crossing - unfortunately the toll it not well signposted. There are a few large signs on the approach that do not list the toll charges but only instruct you to visit the government website to pay the charge and to find out further information. The toll booths have been removed but the barriers still remain obviously to slow the traffic down to capture the registration plate numbers. The traffic jams still exist especially late Friday afternoons.

we went driving in spain and portugal a few years ago and there is no gates on the motorway to state that it is toll. you have to buy the tag at a post office or the car hire place before you go on the motorway and money gets deducted from the tag depending on distance travelled.

i was concerned the M6, which i thought initially was the M42 as that was where we were when the toll warning came up on the satnav, was similar to the spanish and portuguese toll where you are supposed to know how it works without instructions on the motorway or toll gates.
mutley1

we went driving in spain and portugal a few years ago and there is no … we went driving in spain and portugal a few years ago and there is no gates on the motorway to state that it is toll. you have to buy the tag at a post office or the car hire place before you go on the motorway and money gets deducted from the tag depending on distance travelled.i was concerned the M6, which i thought initially was the M42 as that was where we were when the toll warning came up on the satnav, was similar to the spanish and portuguese toll where you are supposed to know how it works without instructions on the motorway or toll gates.

no mate, m6 toll has booths, it's not even worth going on the toll tbh, i know people that live around there and even they don't use it.

M6 is the toll unless u had satnav setting on to avoid the toll, then you should have exited just before I think the exit is 3a can't remember tho..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants