Found 17th Sep 2016
My tomatoes are growing weird. Has anyone else had this problem.

1. Ask
  2. Tomato
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Tomato
16 Comments

I blame catfacing.

Original Poster

http://i63.tinypic.com/2zs8x21.jpg[/img]

Original Poster

Before anyone asks, no I have not photoshopped it.

How close to a nuclear power plant do you live!?!

Original Poster

eayragt

How close to a nuclear power plant do you live!?!

​Nowhere near.

Have you ever seen a tomato with a “nose” on it? Such weird shaped tomatoes may have what looks like horns as well. What causes tomato noses? Well, it’s a physiological/genetic disorder that occurs in about 1 out of every 1,000 plants. Basically, the problem arises when the fruit is still microscopic. A few cells divide incorrectly and make an extra fruit locule. When you slice into a tomato, they have 4 or 6 obvious segments, which are called locules. As the tomato grows, the genetic mutation that occurred when it was microscopic grows with the fruit until eventually you see a mature tomato with a ‘nose’ or horns. The environment has to do with the genetic mutation. Extended temps of above 90 degrees F. (32 C.) and over 82-85 F. (27-29 C.) at night cause this deformity. It doesn’t necessarily affect the entire plant; in fact, usually only one or two fruits are affected. This also happens more often on older heirloom varieties. The good news is that it will quit happening when temps moderate and the resulting fruit is quite amusing as well as perfectly edible.

Read more at Gardening Know How: Tomato Fruit Problems – Reasons For Weird Shaped Tomatoes gardeningknowhow.com/edi…htm

exact issue
Edited by: "barrel24" 17th Sep 2016

radium

[/img]

​Nothing unusual there, that's a tomatotoe!

Fruits and vegetables often grow weird. You're just not used to it because they don't often sell deformed ones in supermarkets. Grow cucumbers, they usually come out spiky!!! Haha

That's got some wood there

underneath the tomato I mean

Original Poster

itsdavidjones1984

Fruits and vegetables often grow weird. You're just not used to it … Fruits and vegetables often grow weird. You're just not used to it because they don't often sell deformed ones in supermarkets. Grow cucumbers, they usually come out spiky!!! Haha

​Most of the tomatoes are fine it's just this one plant that's playing up. I have three cucumber plants too and the fruit is okay and not spiky.

Perfectly normal, you just don't see them in supermarkets as they only want "normal" ones.
It will taste exactly the same as the other tomatoes on the plant.

Reminds me of Hitler. X)

Banned

Strangely enough, members me of Turd Sandwich. X)

place some googly eyesbon it and make a stop animation

Taste the same?:p

Don't eat it, it will effect your babies.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The Brexit Good News Thread78
    2. Analogue's Super Nt SNES Wants to Do What Nintendon't411
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…18216628
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread427414633

See more discussions