Groups

Tomorrow my son and his friend have been chosen to lay a wreath

my son and his friend have been chosen to lay the wreath on the cenotaph for the Salvation army Sunday school they both attend, the link below is a photo of our towns cenotaph.
    hirwaunroyalbritishlegion.org.uk/pho…al/
    i am so proud of my son he understands why he is laying the wreath. All children should wear their poppies with pride as should we as adults.
    lest we forget.

19 Comments

ive got soooo many poppies ive got them in my car in my babys bad in my handbag i chuck a few coins in everytime i see them selling them even got one in me car lol

A great honour and it's good to hear of someone bringing up children with respect for the very reason why we are still allowed to walk around freely xxxxx

sorry obviously inappropriate to add my own personal story there it was not intended to stray from the op,s post

I would be sooooo proud of him too. Lest we forget

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them...

supermod

You must be very proud of him vinylandtrinkets. My children all wore their poppies to school & the schools were selling them to help a very good cause

In Flanders Fields

by John McCrae, May 1915
    Poppies (©greatwar.co.uk)

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.

vinylandtrinkets;6813665

my boys only just turned 8 and he is so honoured that they asked him, … my boys only just turned 8 and he is so honoured that they asked him, J.Dance what a lovely poem hunSigma our school wouldnt let them wear them for H&S reasons. pathetic i think, most of the older kids had them taped to their jumpers the little ones didnt have any

The poem is the Ode of Remembrance, which was first published in The Times in September 1914. The seven-verse poem honoured the World War I British war dead of that time and in particular the British Expeditionary Force, which had by then already had high casualty rates on the developing Western Front. The poem was published when the Battle of the Marne was foremost in people's minds.

The "Ode of Remembrance" is regularly recited at memorial services held on days commemorating World War I, such as ANZAC Day, Remembrance Day, and Remembrance Sunday.

There was a silence all around the throne, Where the saints had often trod, As the soldier waited quietly, For the judgment of his God. "Step forward now, you soldier, You've borne your burdens well, Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets, You've done your time in Hell

They shall not grow old as we who are left grow old. Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning, We will remember them. my daughters a cadet and will be carrying the flag i'm so proud

got to admit in my cynical age and general disdain for most things, i have the utmost respect for this and good on your little fella.

Just before my grandad died he started to reminisce/ pass on some of what happened during ww2, such as getting stuck in basement for a week as german troops marched through day after day or being out in egypt and camouflaging the crap out of tanks etc.

it's a totally different world now compared to what they went through and thanks to them we can mess about on the t'internet and generallly be idiots.

anyway that's enough of the semi sensible stuff from me and in a while I'll be back to my sarky self just after i've had little sneak at one of the medals my granda left me.

vinylandtrinkets;6821560

are we allowed to post kids photos anymore??the last few posts with the … are we allowed to post kids photos anymore??the last few posts with the poems have all made me cry. they are truly beautiful poems.Today was the most moving service i have been to, we marched with the veterans, the service personal , st johns ambulance and various guide & scout groups.very moving to see that the kids from my kids club were the youngest there and my son and his friend took the wreath to the cenotaph, the Sargent Major who led the parade came over to us after the service to ask their names to put in our local paper as they were the youngest kids to lay a wreath, and they stood tall and proud at the cenotaph.im so proud of my son, and the kids from the club

Thats so lovely - and ur son wont forget today either.

I have posted a pic of my son once but had to blank out his face as think its against the rules to post them up

Lovely thread u started:thumbsup:

vinylandtrinkets;6821560

are we allowed to post kids photos anymore??the last few posts with the … are we allowed to post kids photos anymore??the last few posts with the poems have all made me cry. they are truly beautiful poems.Today was the most moving service i have been to, we marched with the veterans, the service personal , st johns ambulance and various guide & scout groups.very moving to see that the kids from my kids club were the youngest there and my son and his friend took the wreath to the cenotaph, the Sargent Major who led the parade came over to us after the service to ask their names to put in our local paper as they were the youngest kids to lay a wreath, and they stood tall and proud at the cenotaph.im so proud of my son, and the kids from the club

They let us post baby pics sometimes... ask a mod sweetie xxx

EDIT-- oops I didnt see this ^^^^^^

Looking forward to seeing the piccy xxx

Banned

vinylandtrinkets;6851571

my boy is the one with Glasses. our local paper has told us they will be … my boy is the one with Glasses. our local paper has told us they will be in there this week

Aw, bless him :thumbsup:

supermod

vinylandtrinkets, what a genuinely lovely photo - you must be a very proud Mum

ants97;6815424

got to admit in my cynical age and general disdain for most things, i … got to admit in my cynical age and general disdain for most things, i have the utmost respect for this and good on your little fella. Just before my grandad died he started to reminisce/ pass on some of what happened during ww2, such as getting stuck in basement for a week as german troops marched through day after day or being out in egypt and camouflaging the crap out of tanks etc. it's a totally different world now compared to what they went through and thanks to them we can mess about on the t'internet and generallly be idiots. anyway that's enough of the semi sensible stuff from me and in a while I'll be back to my sarky self just after i've had little sneak at one of the medals my granda left me.

OMG! that bought a tear to my eye and made me think of my Grandad and his stories :oops: I shall refrain from sending you big hugs and cuddles as I know how much you hate it ;-)

vinylandtrinkets;6851571

my boy is the one with Glasses. our local paper has told us they will be … my boy is the one with Glasses. our local paper has told us they will be in there this week

That is a lovely pic and a day that they and you will always remember :thumbsup:

vinylandtrinkets;6851549

mod got back to me and its ok

aaaaahhh how lovely!!! If I were u I would get that pic enlarged and into a right fancy frame:thumbsup:

what a smashing photo, both families most be so proud of them.

vinylandtrinkets;6851709

thanks guys, we have just enlarged the photo and it looks amazing, even … thanks guys, we have just enlarged the photo and it looks amazing, even the other lads mum has a enlarged photo. I am really proud of him, he was well behaved , polite to the veterans and the soldiers there . got to print the photo out again for school.

I think the fact there is a veteran in the background sitting in his wheelchair ...decorated in his medals..........then ur son and friend holding the poppy wreath at the front.........truly sums up this picture x
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2226
      2. ** Motorola Moto X Force | Owners Club **32204
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …84142
      4. Follow the Three Word Game!!!44624043

See more discussions