Toms Hardware

Found 20th Jun
So, yesterday a question popped up on Toms Hardware forums that the moderators couldnt make head nor tail of; having some free time I researched a few terms, and posted an explanation - the person was a Somali trying to find out how to get into a Google+ account.

This morning I woke to find I had been perma-banned and my email blacklisted by a Toms Hardware moderator, because apparently, what I had posted was "racist and bigoted".

The letters "W", "T" and "F" come to mind.

Comments??
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
A moderator of an internet forum over reacting and thinking they're God
Failing to grasp common sense, humour and the zeitgeist.

Thank flip it doesn't happen on this site
18 Comments
Without reading what you wrote how can we possibly comment?
i can confirm, i was tom.
dhibmalaha
I can't stand giants.

Was it worse than that?
Did the person say he's a Somalian ? How did you find this out ?
deeky20 m ago

I can't stand giants.Was it worse than that?

Not even gentle ones?
zworld29 m ago

Did the person say he's a Somalian ? How did you find this out ?

Several of the words used didnt make sense in English, by searching for them online, I worked out they were Somalian and linked to a Somalian G+ account log in page.
cdm2255 m ago

Without reading what you wrote how can we possibly comment?

I wrote pretty much what I said in the OP, adding that it gets the same answer as anyone asking for help getting into a FaceBook or Twitter account - which is "Go ask them for help."

I would post a link, but the whole thread, including the question seems to have been purged.
Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 20th Jun
Gentle_Giant13 m ago

Several of the words used didnt make sense in English, by searching for …Several of the words used didnt make sense in English, by searching for them online, I worked out they were Somalian and linked to a Somalian G+ account log in page.

Mate, life is short. Restart your router and create a new account on Tom's Hardware and you are back in action
I haven't used their forums for years as the forum theme is horrendous and well outdated.
A moderator of an internet forum over reacting and thinking they're God
Failing to grasp common sense, humour and the zeitgeist.

Thank flip it doesn't happen on this site
zworld1 h, 0 m ago

Mate, life is short. Restart your router and create a new account on Tom's …Mate, life is short. Restart your router and create a new account on Tom's Hardware and you are back in action I haven't used their forums for years as the forum theme is horrendous and well outdated.

I did, and politely asked if another moderator could review the ban.

The same mod deleted the post, perma-banned the new account, and blocked the email address.
professorEX2 h, 9 m ago

i can confirm, i was tom.

We don’t believe a word you say after your girlfriend/ cousin thread which somehow managed to get deleted after it had been up and running for a week or more and you changed the Op. Next you will be telling us you are Amy
Gentle_Giant1 h, 56 m ago

I did, and politely asked if another moderator could review the ban.The …I did, and politely asked if another moderator could review the ban.The same mod deleted the post, perma-banned the new account, and blocked the email address.

He means change IP address
If it bothers you that much, then you should probably accept that the internet isn’t for you.
FUAARRKK29 m ago

He means change IP address

Yeah, I'm on a staitc IP, rebooting the router wont work. They havent actually blocked the address (yet), probably the mod doesnt have access to that level.

I got back in and had a good look around to find who to talk to about the situation, but there doesnt seem to be anyone listed.

The last mention of who to contact listed a senior moderator who doesnt appear to be on the system any longer; last mention of him/her was 3 years ago; and there is no listed appeals process - which for a major forum is pretty bad.

The last time I came across this was 7-8 years ago, when a mod on Aria called my wife a whore, when I complained; and asked it to be looked at; the exact same mod deleted the complaint and banned my account.

He then followed me to another forum and made another personal attack (and got himself banned from THAT forum).
Mate, your old account is history. DO NOT create a new account and chase up about the old account.
Think of it as pretending to be a new person on the TH forums
Gentle_Giant11 m ago

Yeah, I'm on a staitc IP, rebooting the router wont work. They havent …Yeah, I'm on a staitc IP, rebooting the router wont work. They havent actually blocked the address (yet), probably the mod doesnt have access to that level.I got back in and had a good look around to find who to talk to about the situation, but there doesnt seem to be anyone listed. The last mention of who to contact listed a senior moderator who doesnt appear to be on the system any longer; last mention of him/her was 3 years ago; and there is no listed appeals process - which for a major forum is pretty bad.The last time I came across this was 7-8 years ago, when a mod on Aria called my wife a whore, when I complained; and asked it to be looked at; the exact same mod deleted the complaint and banned my account.He then followed me to another forum and made another personal attack (and got himself banned from THAT forum).

I’ve been in my fair share of toxic online communities. You must be doing something not right according to the forum.
FUAARRKK19 m ago

I’ve been in my fair share of toxic online communities. You must be doing s …I’ve been in my fair share of toxic online communities. You must be doing something not right according to the forum.

I've posted what I wrote, as exactly as I can remember writing it; I was totally surprised by the reaction and the ban, it make no sense at all.

I got an email with 3 consecutive warnings, 3 temporary bans and 3 permanent bans all in one go.

To make sure I got the message, they sent the same email every couple of hours, until I had about 6 copies.
Edited by: "Gentle_Giant" 20th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants