Tonight - ITV2 - 9pm - "Contagion" - What do you think?

Posted 26th Mar
Current & "topical" or a bit insensitive at the present time?

I'm just thinking of when there have been other tragedies in the world and the TV schedulers decide to pull something as it might be considered a bit too much and "raw" at the time.

It strikes me as strange that they would choose to line this movie up considering people's feelings at the moment. I know it's everyone's choice to view something or not of course but I say this whenever the channels decide to pull something due to fears of condemnation. Yet, they do. Where's the difference here?

Even the tagline of the movie: "Nothing spreads like fear" has me wondering who in the scheduling office thought this would be a great one to pop on TV right now...

Anyway, just speaking my mind; I guess; and if you want to read the synopsis to the movie you can HERE - but if you are genuinely stressed at this time (and who isn't) and don't want extra paranoia to compound your worry, then please don't watch it.

Stay safe, everyone.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
OP - don't like it, don't watch it.

It's not difficult.
42 Comments
It’s been on Netflix for weeks.
I'm guessing you haven't looked at what is trending over the streaming sites? This is exactly what people want to watch at the moment for some reason.
Great movie and is scarily close to what we are currently going through
Curlyman8326/03/2020 19:07

It’s been on Netflix for weeks.

That's fair enough but A) Not everyone has Netflix & B) I don't think Netflix particularly scheduled it to coincide with a REAL global pandemic. I would take a guess that it was already in their line-up prior to all this.

As I say - it's up to the individual whether to watch, and of course it's a pretty big clue as to what the film is about when you read the title. I'd just hate someone who perhaps watches without really taking into account how 'relevant' the movie is to our current situation and as a result suffers a deeper fear than perhaps they deserved.
Phsycronix26/03/2020 19:14

That's fair enough but A) Not everyone has Netflix & B) I don't think …That's fair enough but A) Not everyone has Netflix & B) I don't think Netflix particularly scheduled it to coincide with a REAL global pandemic. I would take a guess that it was already in their line-up prior to all this.As I say - it's up to the individual whether to watch, and of course it's a pretty big clue as to what the film is about when you read the title. I'd just hate someone who perhaps watches without really taking into account how 'relevant' the movie is to our current situation and as a result suffers a deeper fear than perhaps they deserved.

I disagree - Contagion seemed to appear on Netflix just as the Coronavirus started to make headlines. You’re also forgetting that not everyone has a TV license so the point about it being a subscription service is a moot point.
OP - don't like it, don't watch it.

It's not difficult.
Curlyman8326/03/2020 19:16

I disagree - Contagion seemed to appear on Netflix just as the Coronavirus …I disagree - Contagion seemed to appear on Netflix just as the Coronavirus started to make headlines. You’re also forgetting that not everyone has a TV license so the point about it being a subscription service is a moot point.

That's a perfectly fair counterpoint. I don't have Netflix myself so I will take your word that they added it specifically.
old_mikefield26/03/2020 19:17

OP - don't like it, don't watch it.It's not difficult.

Absolutely true and as I pointed out. I'll probably watch it as I haven't seen it for a long while and I'm not personally affected (too much) but I just thought it an 'odd' choice for the time - given the current situation and the possible distress it could cause others who don't perhaps understand what it's about. Some people are a lot more "on edge" about this so if I can forewarn someone then it's worth a thread/post. I hope people can see that was the ONLY intention...
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 26th Mar
I agree that it does look a little strange to show this right now, especially as we sometimes see films and episodes of tv shows being substitued in the light of events that happen in the news.
Phsycronix26/03/2020 19:14

That's fair enough but A) Not everyone has Netflix & B) I don't think …That's fair enough but A) Not everyone has Netflix & B) I don't think Netflix particularly scheduled it to coincide with a REAL global pandemic. I would take a guess that it was already in their line-up prior to all this.As I say - it's up to the individual whether to watch, and of course it's a pretty big clue as to what the film is about when you read the title. I'd just hate someone who perhaps watches without really taking into account how 'relevant' the movie is to our current situation and as a result suffers a deeper fear than perhaps they deserved.

Why kick up a fuss?

Its a decent film and is very relevant to whats happening in the world right now.

People can stay safe by staying at home and keeping a distance from "outsiders".

There are far more worse things happening in the world that people have no way of escaping!
rimalpatel00726/03/2020 19:23

Can't find it. Lazy link?

Maybe it’s on Canadian Netflix (not that I’ve been streaming via a VPN or anything )
N345H26/03/2020 19:13

It's absolutely nothing like what we're going through. In the movie they reacted a hell of a lot quicker than what most governments did.
Curlyman8326/03/2020 19:29

Maybe it’s on Canadian Netflix (not that I’ve been streaming via a VPN or a …Maybe it’s on Canadian Netflix (not that I’ve been streaming via a VPN or anything )

rimalpatel00726/03/2020 19:23

Can't find it. Lazy link?

40195850-RHS4N.jpg

Canadian Netflix. I watched half of it in January
Phsycronix26/03/2020 19:17

That's a perfectly fair counterpoint. I don't have Netflix myself so I …That's a perfectly fair counterpoint. I don't have Netflix myself so I will take your word that they added it specifically.

Well, I’ve actually just been proven wrong...it’s on Canadian Netflix, but not UK Netflix. I stand corrected, sir!
flowersofwar26/03/2020 19:28

Why kick up a fuss?Its a decent film and is very relevant to whats …Why kick up a fuss?Its a decent film and is very relevant to whats happening in the world right now.People can stay safe by staying at home and keeping a distance from "outsiders".There are far more worse things happening in the world that people have no way of escaping!

It's called a "discussion" my friend. Not "kicking up a fuss" as you put it.

It does seem that if anyone posts a thread at the moment thats slightly "sensitive" then people jump in on the offensive. It was a question to anyone as to whether they find it perfectly ok or a bit too relevant to our current crisis and could inflame someone's already raw emotions.

You are right. It is a good movie. So are MANY that are scheduled to be shown and then get pulled because the station feels it to be insensitive in the wake (or throes) of a tragedy or disaster. I was just puzzled why this appeared right now. That's all. Hope you can understand that.

All the best, Phsy.
Curlyman8326/03/2020 19:33

Well, I’ve actually just been proven wrong...it’s on Canadian Netflix, but …Well, I’ve actually just been proven wrong...it’s on Canadian Netflix, but not UK Netflix. I stand corrected, sir!

No apology needed at all. It was a valid point. I'm sure Canadians are worried too but; like I said; perhaps it's been in their "line-up" for a while? I wouldn't know.
N345H26/03/2020 19:13

Check out the 2018 BBC documentary "Contagion" for indication of missed opportunities bbc.co.uk/pro…0p1
I'm watching this if my sky decides not to display "no signal" suddenly. thanks op
Phsycronix26/03/2020 19:35

It's called a "discussion" my friend. Not "kicking up a fuss" as you put …It's called a "discussion" my friend. Not "kicking up a fuss" as you put it. It does seem that if anyone posts a thread at the moment thats slightly "sensitive" then people jump in on the offensive. It was a question to anyone as to whether they find it perfectly ok or a bit too relevant to our current crisis and could inflame someone's already raw emotions.You are right. It is a good movie. So are MANY that are scheduled to be shown and then get pulled because the station feels it to be insensitive in the wake (or throes) of a tragedy or disaster. I was just puzzled why this appeared right now. That's all. Hope you can understand that.All the best, Phsy.

I’d be surprised if it’s aired tonight despite what the schedules say. It’s a good film but showing on free to air at present would surely create controversy that itv could do without after the criticism they’ve received in recent months.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 26th Mar
old_mikefield26/03/2020 19:17

OP - don't like it, don't watch it.It's not difficult.

We live in over sensitive times.
PeacePipe26/03/2020 20:02

We live in over sensitive times.

Sorry. Just got back from "clapping" - sore hands now! Hehe.

Yes, you maybe right but sensitivity will always be present I suppose. Everyone has different limits.
Amazing response in my street @8PM in appreciation of our HERO NHS workers.
landros126/03/2020 20:08

Amazing response in my street @8PM in appreciation of our HERO NHS …Amazing response in my street @8PM in appreciation of our HERO NHS workers.

I totally agree - but I'll be honest - my applause was also for all the other 'key' workers who are also making an amazing effort. Especially delivery people and supermarket staff. greatly appreciated.
What this instead. On Netflix, My Secret Terrius, go to Season 1, episode 10 and skip to 53 minutes.

Edited by: "Sammy86" 26th Mar
Pretty insensitive to put that film on.

I need a bit of a laugh so I'll be watching "Not Going Out"
It’s on amazon prime too
Sammy8626/03/2020 20:12

What this instead. On Netflix, My Secret Terrius, go to Season 1, episode …What this instead. On Netflix, My Secret Terrius, go to Season 1, episode 10 and skip to 53 minutes.[Video]

40197077-lz2Fg.jpg
I got bored of it. So stopped watching.
Sammy8626/03/2020 20:12

What this instead. On Netflix, My Secret Terrius, go to Season 1, episode …What this instead. On Netflix, My Secret Terrius, go to Season 1, episode 10 and skip to 53 minutes.[Video]

Coronavirus has been around since the 60s or 70s I was reading about it last week, sure it was first found in chickens or something and the SARS virus is of the same family.
This would be freaky maybes if they specifically said Covid-19 but they just say Corona
Good movie.
Pretty mediocre film but very relatable to the Corona
Why are so many complaining showing this is inappropriate? It's the perfect time.
Hopefully as so many people are treating this like a jolly they might start getting scared enough to take this seriously. It's one of my fav films and the reason why I isolated 5 weeks ago. I knew this was going to get do much worse.
So angry at people not isolating as they are spreading this virus and will cause huge amounts of deaths.
They need better penalties than a £60 fine for those who go out unnecessarily
Edited by: "RoseBiscuit" 27th Mar
I see what you are saying, I remember Monty Python being pulled as it featured a war themed sketch and the gulf war was the big news of the time.
I recall thinking, that's just ridiculous!
RoseBiscuit27/03/2020 06:02

Why are so many complaining showing this is inappropriate? It's the …Why are so many complaining showing this is inappropriate? It's the perfect time.Hopefully as so many people are treating this like a jolly they might start getting scared enough to take this seriously. It's one of my fav films and the reason why I isolated 5 weeks ago. I knew this was going to get do much worse.So angry at people not isolating as they are spreading this virus and will cause huge amounts of deaths. They need better penalties than a £60 fine for those who go out unnecessarily

Not sure if you'll see this RB (you seem to be 'banned' now???) but I did think the same. Perhaps the scheduling was intentional from a "drive the message home" point of view. Who knows? Perhaps; as you say; it will make the one's who are making light of it all (yes, there are plenty) think again. I realise it was "just a movie" but as the saying goes: Many a truth can be found in fiction.

Best wishes to everyone. Stay safe.
I watched “pandemic” movie in YouTube, thinking the whole time that’s it’s real contagion movie.

I have amazon subscription, it’s not there too.

Any pointers to contagion movie please
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants