Groups
    EXPIRED

Tony Blair donates 4 million pounds to british legion

In a move which even the legion says is "surprising" blair has donated his 4M advance from his memoirs to the british legion to help injured servicemen.

also all future profits and royalties.

An admission of guilt?

25 Comments

Top man

Well done Tony,nice to see the money staying in the uk and not being wasted overseas

I met him once he is actually a nice chap.

Its a grand old gesture to donate that much. I wonder about the publicity element to this though. Who decided to release this information about the donation?

danmc

Guilt Money, without him they probably wouldn't need it.

I'd agree with that. Guess he feels guilty about keeping all of his blood money, Nah he doesn't feel guilt I guess he calls it marketing.
    Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 16th Aug 2010

Blood money so they don't get him at the Iraq Enquiry.. Him and his oil mates will still make sure he stays rich

treble99

Agreed RIP to those who lost their lives on a pack of liesShame on you … Agreed RIP to those who lost their lives on a pack of liesShame on you Tony Blair

+1 Shame he put them there in the first place, no amount of money can compensate the people who have lost their lives and their limbs for an unjust war

Banned

treble99

Agreed RIP to those who lost their lives on a pack of liesShame on you … Agreed RIP to those who lost their lives on a pack of liesShame on you Tony Blair

wow that's a lot of people. suddenly £4M doesn't seem like much.

No win situation, damned if he does, damned if he don't.

At the end of the day they are a lot better off than they were this morning, that's all that is important.

Banned

Great gesture from a great man!

bykergrove

wow that's a lot of people. suddenly £4M doesn't seem like much.

A lot of people?

Compared to the near million civilians killed in Iraq, that's nothing.

Banned

Wotwot123

A lot of people? Compared to the near million civilians killed in Iraq, … A lot of people? Compared to the near million civilians killed in Iraq, that's nothing.

that's true also. and a fair point.

Also nothing compared with how many Saddam Hussein kiiled. It's not admission of guilt he has plenty of money already and wants to help people. A great gesture regardless of what you think of him

Edited by: "davidian84" 16th Aug 2010

------------
    Edited by: "davidian84" 16th Aug 2010

Banned

Lilly_White

+1 Shame he put them there in the first place, no amount of money can … +1 Shame he put them there in the first place, no amount of money can compensate the people who have lost their lives and their limbs for an unjust war

would you prefer he didn't give anything?

Banned

colinsunderland

would you prefer he didn't give anything?

How about donate money and not put it on the front page of your website and make sure it gets plenty of coverage?

Banned

FilthAndFurry

How about donate money and not put it on the front page of your website … How about donate money and not put it on the front page of your website and make sure it gets plenty of coverage?

so give less is what you are saying? Why would you want the British Legion to get less?

FilthAndFurry

How about donate money and not put it on the front page of your website … How about donate money and not put it on the front page of your website and make sure it gets plenty of coverage?

Why would he want to give a charity that needs more donations some publicity

Banned

davidian84

Why would he want to give a charity that needs more donations some … Why would he want to give a charity that needs more donations some publicity

And I'm sure his publisher was delighted with the publicity it got. Now everyone knows he has a book out and he looks like 'nice old Tony'.

But you are right - so few people realise there is a war on and even less have heard of the British legion (am I pronouncing it correctly?).

Banned

colinsunderland

so give less is what you are saying? Why would you want the British … so give less is what you are saying? Why would you want the British Legion to get less?

Because I hate injured soldiers. And kittens. And fluffy bunnies.

Banned

FilthAndFurry

And I'm sure his publisher was delighted with the publicity it got. Now … And I'm sure his publisher was delighted with the publicity it got. Now everyone knows he has a book out and he looks like 'nice old Tony'.But you are right - so few people realise there is a war on and even less have heard of the British legion (am I pronouncing it correctly?).

There's no such thing as altruism.

Banned

FilthAndFurry

Because I hate injured soldiers. And kittens. And fluffy bunnies.

why would you want him to donate anything then?

Banned

delete inner quotes jeez

Banned

bykergrove

delete inner quotes jeez

or get the developer to fix the quote system

So he's being critisized for not saying how much he is donating, donating due to guilt, to get publicity, as a tax dodge.

This is why I hate newspapers, liberal papers are having a go because of iraq and conservative papers because he is labour. Who wants to read such bias news reporting

anonymous donation=no
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. word association Game73944489
      2. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'32453
      3. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***216
      4. HUKD Nintendo Switch owners thread941346

See more discussions