Groups
    EXPIRED

Tooth extraction only on completion of antibiotics??

My partner has been in pain for over a week. Basically he didn't want to go to the dentist because hes petrified, but also because he gags so much.. So he left it a few days in the hopes that clove oil and pain killers would ease it till it went away. It hasn't!

He gave in on Monday and went to a dentist (private), theyve not registered him, but have set out a treatment plan that should come in the post today. Anyway, he said there was no sign of infection, but just incase one was causing the pain he should take some antibiotics. He then had to go to hospital for an xray, which he did yesterday and dropped off the xray at the dentist..

Last night he was in agony, hes taking so many painkillers (every 4 hours without fail) that hes now getting stomach pains, he can't sleep at all, nor can he eat much, hes on the verge of passing out (either from stress or too many painkillers).. I talked him out of going to a&e but he went at 7am to sit outside of the emergency dentist at the hospital..
    Hes just called me in tears (which is not like him) and said they won't do it because his course of antibiotics hasn't finished.. He said the dentist had a go at the extraction and was almost going to do it, then changed his mind and said that about the antib's.

I'm just at a loss and don't know how to help him.

Ive got him frozen peas, clove oil, numerous painkillers, a tens machine, but nothing is taking it off and he just says its getting worse and worse.

Is there anything at all we can do, I don't think he can go till next week like this.

28 Comments

Il be honest sounds like the dentist is talking bull. Ive just been on antibotics and had a wisdom tooth out at the same time and there were no problems. Find another denist and get an emergency appointment.

Banned

I've been in exactly the same position and had to complete the course of antibiotics before they'd remove the tooth.

He could try the old fashioned string round the tooth and slam the door shut. That's if he really want it out though. It's not really a good look. Best to see if tooth can be sorted. You know you can mix paracetamol and ibuprofen so they can be taken more frequently. Like at 10 take paracetamol, 12 ibuprofen, 2 paracetamol and so on. Then again that may well cause more stomach pain.

Normal practice

Original Poster

I understand there might be complications if there is an infection, but hes been through all the checks/questions with the private dentist, over the phone last night to the emergency dentist out of hours line, and again this morning at the hospital/emergency dentist and they all say he doesnt have one, but take the antib's anyway.. I half think theyre just all palming him off because hes gags a bit.

Another night and I think he'll be having a go with some pliers

You could go to a NHS dentist and get the work done within a day or 2 depending on how busy they are.
    I was told I had to wait 2 weeks for an appointment at my local dentist, I was in pain so I thought screw that, rang up a different place and they said they could see me tomorrow (and just register before hand) Just don't say anything about the antibiotics (They are being way over cautious there) and say you want an extraction asap

Banned

If there's definitely no infection then forcing the issue shouldn't be a problem, but if there is and the anesthetic doesn't work then prepare for pain like you wouldn't believe. First attempt they did I could feel it and I still cringe thinking about the feeling and sound of the tooth being rived back and forth.

Go to an emergency NHS dentist and see what they say if it's that bad.
    I hope it gets sorted and he feels better soon.

emergency dentists are a waste of time...i know as my huband does shifts there and basically they will try fob people with antibiotics.....emergency dentists are paid a set wage for the shift, whereas ur normal dentist will get money for each treatment.... emergency dentists will write prescription and tell u to see ur own dentist, less hassle....same money

shame u have had to go private....can u not call ur PCT and see who is recruiting NHS patients in ur area? if u r private u can more than put ur foot down and say u want the extraction right now

sickly sweet

Go to an emergency NHS dentist and see what they say if it's that bad.I … Go to an emergency NHS dentist and see what they say if it's that bad.I hope it gets sorted and he feels better soon.

could retry and get a nicer dentist who will be bothered...but best bet is to go straight back to ur private dentist and demand to be seen today or ring elsewhere to see if anyone will see u today.

I can feel the pain, I had to wait two weeks to have one of my wisdom teeth out, Was in agony and emergency dentist didn't want to know, I had headache, toothache couldn't eat or sleep. Painkillers didn't work, Worse two weeks of my life.

Dentist tried to remove a tooth of mine whilst infected and even though it was numbed i hit the ceiling almost when he went near !!!..so he gave me antibiotics to kill some of the infection and i went back about 3 days later when the antibiotics had kicked in a bit ..........was still painful but oh the relief once it was out !...would rather give birth to sextuplets than go through that again lol.

I really feel for your husband, I went through this at Christmas and by Christ was it painful! I was told the same, went to my dentist and was told that I would have to complete a weeks course of antibiotics first, I wasnt able to sleep and turned into Angry bear as my wife informs me. Its unfortunate but it really is normal practice
    hope he gets it sorted soon

Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I since called the emergency dentist he saw (because my fella was on the kitchen floor in tears and in agony).. only to be spoken to like utter dirt and have both receptionists put the phone down on me.. which I could have understood if I was rude or swearing. I did get frustrated that neither one would let me speak and they both had attitudes before Id even spoken.. but I just wanted some answers or suggestions of anything at all we could try, I def didn't deserve to be spoken to like that, nor have the phone put down on me, Id rather someone say "I don't know" than be rude like that, so Ive complained to the PCT (for what good it will do!).
    One took offence when I said I felt he had been fobbed off with antibiotics because the dentist didn't mention any sign of infection nor did he really look for one and that the xray he had yday didn't show one, he just seemed to go down that route when my partner gagged a bit and he got fed up with him.. that didn't go down well. Still, I can appreciate its hard if hes gagging.

Hes been told to wait a wk for these antibiotics to work, then make another appointment in which he will have to request to be put under to have the teeth out and theres a long wait for that, how long "long" is I don't know because it was something else she wouldnt answer (weeks, months?)..

I think they just hope you'll get worn out and reach your limit and go private..

We're trying the paracetamol/nurofen thing too, so thanks to whomever suggested that..but it still isnt touching it. When I asked re any other options to pain relief she said "go and ask your pharmacist", so I'll do that later.

We're now waiting for the private dentist to call back and hopefully get him in today!

If over the counter medication isn't touching the pain - either go see your GP or A&E and get a stronger analgesic. They clearly aren't strong enough.

Frozen peas LOL.

It's BS btw, my dentist offered me the choice of antibiotics or just pull the **** out. I went for the latter. The only reason tey don't like pulling them without the AB's is the anaesthetic doesn't work too well, but if you're in agony, you don't really give a **** about that do you?

i had to have a cardiac valve replacement operation because the dentist removing a wisdom tooth hadn't been careful enough about antibiotic cover!!!

Banned

seb

i had to have a cardiac valve replacement operation because the dentist … i had to have a cardiac valve replacement operation because the dentist removing a wisdom tooth hadn't been careful enough about antibiotic cover!!!

Necro much? 0.o

The thing with removing the tooth before the abs are finished is that there then is a real possibility of infection entering the blood stream. It's not worth taking the risk. Toothache can be horrendous though

http://cdn.head-fi.org/9/9c/9cd17c67_holy20thread20resurrection.jpg

huh?

i probably did have an undiagnosed heart murmur.

the problem is that the dentist took out my wisdom tooth without antibiotically-covering me in advance of the extraction.

i'm too f***ing gallant - it was a female dentist - i'm sure she just wanted to take it out in order to practice her skills.

had it been a male dentist i'd have been more challenging about exactly why it had to come out.

water under the bridge now - the consultant who replaced my aortic valve 30 years ago said : "this will last you 20 years".

i didn't inquire what was going to happen then - another replacement op?

Hi Nikki,
    Really tooth extraction is really a scary experience. But this can only understand by them who have this experience. We must follow some steps after extraction. Such as relax after surgery, stop rubbing, don't smoke at least for 24 hours, brush your teeth and tongue but carefully. This is necessary.
    Thanks.

Aonton909

Hi Nikki,Really tooth extraction is really a scary experience. But this … Hi Nikki,Really tooth extraction is really a scary experience. But this can only understand by them who have this experience. We must follow some steps after extraction. Such as relax after surgery, stop rubbing, don't smoke at least for 24 hours, brush your teeth and tongue but carefully. This is necessary.Thanks.

oO

that link X)

Aonton909

Hi Nikki,Really tooth extraction is really a scary experience. But this … Hi Nikki,Really tooth extraction is really a scary experience. But this can only understand by them who have this experience. We must follow some steps after extraction. Such as relax after surgery, stop rubbing, don't smoke at least for 24 hours, brush your teeth and tongue but carefully. This is necessary.Thanks.

I'm really hoping that after 2 years and 5 months, her partner will have been sorted by now...

Teeth_Extractor

I'm really hoping that after 2 years and 5 months, her partner will have … I'm really hoping that after 2 years and 5 months, her partner will have been sorted by now...

Yeah he's sorted now thanks! All thanks to Dental Clinic Houston!

They went the extra mile to make sure he got all the benefits available to him.

rdtorres

Yeah he's sorted now thanks! All thanks to Dental Clinic Houston!They … Yeah he's sorted now thanks! All thanks to Dental Clinic Houston!They went the extra mile to make sure he got all the benefits available to him.

X)

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
    1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4041737
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764620
    3. What is there free to do in your town?2037
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread418114165

See more discussions