Toothache

I have bad toothache in the tooth that i had root canal treatment done in...OUCH!! I have an appointment with the dental hospital on tuesday.

What do others use painkiller wise for toothache? I can't bear the thought of a whole weekend in pain :o(

43 Comments

Just spent 3 hours having the scale scraped off the teeth under my gums, I'm using Syndol!

Oh and the dentist told me to rub Sensodyne toothpast onto my gums - don't rinse!

soluble solpadeine.

swish it round your mouth for AGES in the vicinity of the pain, acts as a local anaesthetic.

remember you can also take ibuprofen in tandem with paracetamol based products, albeit on a short term basis.

you could cycle them 2 hourly if the pain is bad.

wash them down with some booze if you wanna get a sleep too

grex9101;2459557

soluble solpadeine.swish it round your mouth for AGES in the vicinity of … soluble solpadeine.swish it round your mouth for AGES in the vicinity of the pain, acts as a local anaesthetic.remember you can also take ibuprofen in tandem with paracetamol based products, albeit on a short term basis. you could cycle them 2 hourly if the pain is bad.wash them down with some booze if you wanna get a sleep too

Nooo.....booze and paracetamol = liver damage
Oil of cloves is ment to be good, never tried it myself though
]http//en…ves

I have always used salty water..strange I know but it does work..luke warm water in a glass , add enough salt so that it is very salty, rinse in your mouth several times.

Original Poster

The thought of the drill is going to give me nightmares this weekend! :cry:

Oh well, the only thing good about it all is that the dentist is dishy so staring at him will take my mind of what he is doing!! :w00t:

put an asprin on the area of pain - old fashioned method that usually works

Original Poster

octobergirl;2459586

put an asprin on the area of pain - old fashioned method that usually … put an asprin on the area of pain - old fashioned method that usually works

allergic to aspirin...it sets off my rare medical condition :-( But thanks for the advice and to everyone else.

Keep them coming cos surely there must be one that involves haribos???!!! :-D

yeah the salt water is good, and a paracetamol orhalf straight on the tooth also works???? feel soryy for you, i hate tootheache

fern37;2459596

allergic to aspirin...it sets off my rare medical condition :-( But … allergic to aspirin...it sets off my rare medical condition :-( But thanks for the advice and to everyone else. Keep them coming cos surely there must be one that involves haribos???!!! :-D

Mmmm think that may be where you've been going wrong!

sorry about the spelling. wont help your tooth though:?

Original Poster

lukekey;2459599

yeah the salt water is good, and a paracetamol orhalf straight on the … yeah the salt water is good, and a paracetamol orhalf straight on the tooth also works???? feel soryy for you, i hate tootheache

Ok...how do you hold a paracetamol to an upper tooth?? And i hate the taste of it when it starts to disintegrate....vile taste. May have to do the salt water....

Taken an ibuprofen tonight for toothach.. together with half a bottle of wine. Pain almost gone..
A brandy before bed as well helps..

you simply hold it against the upper tooth :P prepare to drool !

salt water will just keep infection at bay, it wont provide pain relief ( but it will stop infection therefor stopping the pain getting worse) Have you no teething remedies? Bonjella? ambasol? Seriously take painkillers like grex recommended the paracetamol/ibuprofen combination and see if you can get some clove oil, a little on cotton wool against the offending tooth should help.

Co-codamol!!! I had a reacurring tooth abcess that did me in! I found that sopladine killed it, but I was nearly throwing up trying to drink it!!! Co-codamol is paracetamol and codine, and is brill, and you can get it over the counter! My local asda has its own brand, so it costs very little as well. Good stuff when you are in pain!:thumbsup:

Ice pack

Original Poster

chrysha;2459601

Mmmm think that may be where you've been going wrong!

Can't ever go wrong with haribos!! lol I have some mini packets and i am trying to resist them. I could hold one between my teeth tightly and hope the pressure helps the pain??

My friend's little girl who is 9 had toothache last week and couldn't sleep through the night despite painkillers so she got out of bed and sat in the living room for 3 hours. Next morning...she presented my friend with the filling that she had pulled out!!! OUCH! Kids have amazing ways of dealing with pain unlike wimpish me.

Original Poster

rockyfella;2459617

Taken an ibuprofen tonight for toothach.. together with half a bottle of … Taken an ibuprofen tonight for toothach.. together with half a bottle of wine. Pain almost gone..A brandy before bed as well helps..

now that's more like it :w00t:

Original Poster

dmh77;2459622

Co-codamol!!! I had a reacurring tooth abcess that did me in! I found … Co-codamol!!! I had a reacurring tooth abcess that did me in! I found that sopladine killed it, but I was nearly throwing up trying to drink it!!! Co-codamol is paracetamol and codine, and is brill, and you can get it over the counter! My local asda has its own brand, so it costs very little as well. Good stuff when you are in pain!:thumbsup:

been taking that and hasn't taken the pain away at all.

anbesol is what i use - just make sure you ask for anbesol at the chemists, and not anusol. big difference

Original Poster

stingersplash;2459636

anbesol is what i use - just make sure you ask for anbesol at the … anbesol is what i use - just make sure you ask for anbesol at the chemists, and not anusol. big difference

lol

fern37;2459633

been taking that and hasn't taken the pain away at all.

oooh errr.... it must be bad!!! The clove oil thing didn't work for me, and had the added downside of tasting baaaad! I dunno then.... sorry! ( I thought I had it nailed on the pain relief... I took two paracetamol and went to bed an hour before my son was born cos the hospital said I wasn't ready!!!:w00t: Never even saw the gas n air till I was done!! Boo hiss!!!:x Ended up giving birth in the car!!??)

fern37;2459611

Ok...how do you hold a paracetamol to an upper tooth?? And i hate the … Ok...how do you hold a paracetamol to an upper tooth?? And i hate the taste of it when it starts to disintegrate....vile taste. May have to do the salt water....

Stand on your head. :w00t:

fern37;2459626

Can't ever go wrong with haribos!! lol I have some mini packets and i am … Can't ever go wrong with haribos!! lol I have some mini packets and i am trying to resist them. I could hold one between my teeth tightly and hope the pressure helps the pain?? My friend's little girl who is 9 had toothache last week and couldn't sleep through the night despite painkillers so she got out of bed and sat in the living room for 3 hours. Next morning...she presented my friend with the filling that she had pulled out!!! OUCH! Kids have amazing ways of dealing with pain unlike wimpish me.

A 9 year old with a filling. Definitely put the Haribos away. :w00t:

Get well soon

Wear a tight pair of shoes and go for a walk - will take your mind off your toothache!! lol

dontdothatagain;2459763

Get well soon

Thought you'd gone?!!

try clove oil from chemist

Oil of cloves is very good, just rub in onto the gum .
(Very strong smell but worth it ! )

also Anbesol netdoctor.co.uk/med…tml

lukekey;2459599

yeah the salt water is good, and a paracetamol orhalf straight on the … yeah the salt water is good, and a paracetamol orhalf straight on the tooth also works???? feel soryy for you, i hate tootheache

:thumbsup: Cannot possibly work. The ingredient in paracetamol has to get into the gut to have any effect.

Would be better off trying to hold a small piece of chalk there, would probably taste better too:roll:

I've just had four wisdom teeth pulled out so got the pain and uncomfortable stitches all over the place.

The painkillers I was given made me sick so I'm cycling paramol and ibuprofen every two hours - taking a nap after taking the paramol really seems to speed up the effect (at least for me, always wake up with the pain gone). The salt water idea is good too, always improves matters.

I'm afraid I agree about the paracetamol on the tooth not working. Oh and if you get rid of the pain make sure you keep topped up on painkillers, don't think it will be ok and let it come back.

Rinse with Corsodyl mouth wash - get the mint because the original has a really bad taste.

I know it sounds stupid but I brush my teeth with Palmolive Soap and my teeth are pearly white and the Sensitivity I had with toothpaste is gone. If your not afraid try it. Look up tooth soap.

Original Poster

dontdothatagain;2459763

Get well soon

Thank you :-D

Original Poster

Have been taking co codamol regularly and just now it has eased a bit so will continue on them. Sore eating on that side...had to wait for my cornflakes to go soggy! lol Thank you for all the advice. Will stock up on anbesol and clove oil in case it happens again.

Original Poster

[QUOTE=Jumpingphil;2459661]Stand on your head. :w00t:

I got a headache from doing that!! :w00t:

DON'T use clove oil - it rots the tooth.

It may provide temporary pain relief but it' ll dissolve your tooth. Not a good idea.

Take a mouthfull of whisky and hold it over the affected area for as long as you can, it numbs it. Works and is quite pleasant too :thumbsup:

Hope it eases up for you soon

grex9101;2463159

DON'T use clove oil - it rots the tooth.It may provide temporary pain … DON'T use clove oil - it rots the tooth.It may provide temporary pain relief but it' ll dissolve your tooth. Not a good idea.

as good as your water powered car theory!!!
do your research!:-D

]Clove oil

bellabonkers;2463416

as good as your water powered car theory!!!do your research!:-D]Clove oil

Do YOUR research instead of posting stuff without reading it:

from your link:

"clove oil is toxic to human cells. If ingested in sufficient quantity or injected, it has been shown to cause life-threatening complications, including Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Fulminant Hepatic (Liver) Failure, and Central Nervous System Depression"

Indeed, many dentist DO warn against clove oil usage as it irritates the gum and can actually rot gum tissue hence directly leading to tooth erosion.

So, BellaBONKERS - GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763953
    2. so sick of this summer weather enough .......1930
    3. GOT Leaks again514
    4. Any PS4 News Here29213592

See more discussions