Toothache. Aaarghhh!

Posted 26th May
I've got toothache, filling dropped out. Tried various painkillers. But the best pain relief so fast. Dentinox teething gel for babies. Instantaneous though not long lasting. Anything Ive missed? Any tips?
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Before i was able to see a dentist a few years back, this stuff helped a lot:

amazon.co.uk/Ora…8-1
27 Comments
Contact your dentist in the morning for a urgent appointment.
not a great time to get bad teeth
good luck
Dustin Hoffman says it's safe to use clove oil.
whisky 🥃
Before i was able to see a dentist a few years back, this stuff helped a lot:

amazon.co.uk/Ora…8-1
You can buy temporary filling kits online or from pharmacies which can give some relief or use dental wax or even red cheese wax (including Babybel) placed on the sharp edges. Both of these will need reapplying regularly.
This is the info from my dental practice (temporary filling kit, pain killers & Oragel ointment).

mydentist.co.uk/den…-19
burgyuk26/05/2020 00:31

Before i was able to see a dentist a few years back, this stuff helped a …Before i was able to see a dentist a few years back, this stuff helped a lot:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orajel-Dental-Toothache-Relief-Benzocaine/dp/B07GRB286S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=toothache+gel+for+adults&qid=1590449434&sprefix=toothache+gel&sr=8-1

10% Benzocaine, this stuff will numb a bullet wound - nice!
Cocaine has numbing and pain releief - however does have a few other side effects
Clove oil will help.
britlad26/05/2020 06:49

You can buy temporary filling kits online or from pharmacies which can …You can buy temporary filling kits online or from pharmacies which can give some relief or use dental wax or even red cheese wax (including Babybel) placed on the sharp edges. Both of these will need reapplying regularly.

Temp filling kits also in Home Bargains quite cheaply I remember. Think it's called 'toofypegs' or something equally stupid. Not the best but will buy you time to get it sorted properly. Use pain releif as well.
T650026/05/2020 00:19

Contact your dentist in the morning for a urgent appointment.

This is the best advice.
I would recommend Codeine but if you're potentially not getting treatment for months, that's a no go. Codiene is extremely effective (I used it when I had an abscess in a tooth needing a root canal) and can help you sleep even with severe pain but it's also very addictive and shouldn't be used for more than a few days. I cannot emphasise enough that you should only use it a short period, codiene withdrawal doesn't take long to start becoming an issue.

For longer term, Benzocaine applied directly if possible as mentioned above, and either regularly use an anti-septic mouthwash or clean out the hole as much as possible and apply a temporary filling. The more sterile you keep the tooth and the more the prevent food getting into it, the less likely it is for it to turn into needing a root canal or extraction.
captainbeaky26/05/2020 08:19

This is the info from my dental practice (temporary filling kit, pain …This is the info from my dental practice (temporary filling kit, pain killers & Oragel ointment).https://www.mydentist.co.uk/dental-health/dental-treatments/managing-dental-problems-at-home-during-covid-19

Thanks. Lot of info there. Phoned Dentist , got to "phone back later" .
Edited by: "Ringfinger" 26th May
Thanks all. If dentist can't sort me soon, lots to try.

Before i was able to see a dentist a few years back, this stuff helped a …Before i was able to see a dentist a few years back, this stuff helped a lot:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orajel-Dental-Toothache-Relief-Benzocaine/dp/B07GRB286S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=toothache+gel+for+adults&qid=1590449434&sprefix=toothache+gel&sr=8-1

this is what I use, good stuff
sounds like it may be infected. you need to have antibiotics, wash your mouth out with warm salt water. If you go to a dentist they will prescribe metronidazole and amoxcillin
As a quick temporary fix you could lodge a piece of clove in the area, this does numb the pain slightly
You want to get it refilled as soon as possible, because if it is infected your root nerves will start receding and you will either need root canal treatment or removal of the tooth.

Is this the same stuff? £3.50 for one time purchase or £3.33 S&S amazon.co.uk/dp/…9D8
louiselouise26/05/2020 16:31

Is this the same stuff? £3.50 for one time purchase or £3.33 S&S h …Is this the same stuff? £3.50 for one time purchase or £3.33 S&S https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001E1E9D8

Appears to be different, youd need to compare ingredients to be 100% sure, your link isnt what i used

(looks similar but isn't the same)

I linked you to the one from my order history.
For me, cost wasnt overly important when factored against the pain at the time
burgyuk26/05/2020 16:44

Appears to be different, youd need to compare ingredients to be 100% sure, …Appears to be different, youd need to compare ingredients to be 100% sure, your link isnt what i used(looks similar but isn't the same)I linked you to the one from my order history.For me, cost wasnt overly important when factored against the pain at the time

It also says 10% Benzocaine and 5.3g so it should do the same job? Never used Orajel.

I used to order 10% Xylocaine Spray (aka Lidocaine, to use with a Dermaroller), though you can only get it with a prescription now. When boyf had a biopsies/growths taken from his mouth he was sent home with a few ibuprofens and was in agony. He ended up going through my medicine cabinet and using that spray to give himself some relief.

Benzocaine should be similar. I would recommend the option already mentioned on here that's specifically for oral use, of course.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 18th Jun
Cocodamol, helps
So did you get a dentist appointment?
Rang dentist. Not an emergency unless my eyesight or hearing is affected, or my face swells, or I get 'very ill'. Or die! Self treatment until one of those happens or I can't sleep. Thankfully it's died down a bit now. If it happens again I may go to A&E (suggested 'off the record' by the dentist receptionist) ok as long as I go outside normal dentist surgery hours. Not something I want to do though.
Late to this thread but boyf has had a procedure in the soft tissues in his mouth - seems you can get Orajel Extra Strength which has 20% Benzocaine rather than 10% (can't see it on Amazon but it can be bought over the counter if you need to), but it's online, eg, from Superdrug - seems you need to consult in the pharmacist though.

Anbesol is another one I see recommended which has 2% Lidocaine - cheaper on Chemist4U, etc.

Edit: After a chat with an in store local pharmacist, Orajel Extra Strength 20% was recommended to him.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 18th Jun
louiselouise18/06/2020 16:42

Late to this thread but boyf has had a procedure in the soft tissues in …Late to this thread but boyf has had a procedure in the soft tissues in his mouth - seems you can get Orajel Extra Strength which has 20% Benzocaine rather than 10% (can't see it on Amazon but it can be bought over the counter if you need to), but it's online, eg, from Superdrug - seems you need to consult in the pharmacist though.Anbesol is another one I see recommended which has 2% Lidocaine - cheaper on Chemist4U, etc.Edit: After a chat with an in store local pharmacist, Orajel Extra Strength 20% was recommended to him.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, appreciate it.
As luck would have it my toothache has dissipated, but I will get some orajel in preparation.
Post a comment
@
    Text